Official myLock thread - we don't like the lockscreen

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ooohyeah,
Hopefully the developer will come through the thread again so you can get an answer. I consider myLock one of the 'must have' apps for my phone.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
Have at it, milestoners. The parse error is confirmed resolved. Try the most recent alpha 3 test builds as I post them- I'm leaving the original test build for the fix up although the custom widget lockscreen mode is a tad bit bugged. I would implement the fix in the 2c build but it honestly has some phone bugs in certain limited scenarios so just look forward to the finished alpha 3 official build. No estimate on release, I'm just working on it till I'm happy with it. I need to decide if I'll be able to push out button customized mode on its own in the alpha 3 or save that till the full beta with custom lockscreen mode.

Last edited:

dbronstein

Reaction score
I installed the lite version and when I set it to have the lockscreen disabled, it turns off the screen after about five seconds. I can replicate this very consistently by toggling the widget to disable the lockscreen, then turning the screen off manually or letting it go off on it's own, then pressing the power button to turn it back on. Then it will turn the screen off after about five seconds unless you are actively doing something.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
Lite mode (designed to be the least intrusive) inherits that feature from the stock lockscreen. Try turning off myLock and then do the same thing. Wake it up and do nothing- It will result in the 5 sec timeout. the aim of the feature I assume is to cut power inefficiency in the case of accidental wakeups. this one isn't in the faq, I will probably add it sometime. the other versions all trigger user action with the OS when they bypass the lockscreen, causing your regular timeout to be used instead of the 5 second.

Safetyman

Reaction score
Most useful utility thus far

My number one complaint with my Droid is the need to constantly slide the unlock swipe.

This is the best most useful utility I've found so far.

Thank you!!

:icon_ banana:

Momx6

Reaction score
Well, I'm definitely new to the world of smart phones! I just downloaded the lite version and it worked for a bit, but now it doesn't. I have no idea what I may have done wrong.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I'm definitely new to the world of smart phones! I just downloaded the lite version and it worked for a bit, but now it doesn't. I have no idea what I may have done wrong.
This app is still beta... so there are bugs here and there. I'd post a detailed description of your problem here, or even better, on the developers website. :) The developer is very responsive.

Paul1201

Reaction score

I am having the same issue but I am sure it is because of the popup notification from Handcent. My wife and I love this app and really would like to use it but we want the features of Handcent for texting. Is there any way to pause this app when Handcent initiates a screen unlock for a text popup like it is paused during phone calls? I hope the answer is yes.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I am having the same issue but I am sure it is because of the popup notification from Handcent. My wife and I love this app and really would like to use it but we want the features of Handcent for texting. Is there any way to pause this app when Handcent initiates a screen unlock for a text popup like it is paused during phone calls? I hope the answer is yes.

Handcent's Pop-Up does interfer with myLock. The developer of myLock was surprised to see the two work together at all. He explained to me that myLock and the pop-up use the same method to disable the lock screen.

He has been very responsive and I'm sure will work out a solution.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
Right now, I can't get the app to properly interact with handcent. I want to test a new version which might get along better with it. In 2.0 and beyond you can open a window that destroys the lockscreen if it exists. The problem is I'm afraid that even if I use that, the handcent code might still break the lockscreen rules as a result of expecting the lockscreen when my skip window would have already destroyed it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right now, I can't get the app to properly interact with handcent. I want to test a new version which might get along better with it. In 2.0 and beyond you can open a window that destroys the lockscreen if it exists. The problem is I'm afraid that even if I use that, the handcent code might still break the lockscreen rules as a result of expecting the lockscreen when my skip window would have already destroyed it.
I still find it amazing... you must here bells. Every time I mention you (the developer) is very responsive... boom, you pop in with some info. It's great :)

M

Matth3w

Any way to make it without the notification in the bar? That's kind of annoying to look at. When I check out my phone I don't want to give a quick glance to the notification bar and think I have a message when I see something there. Maybe it's just the OCD in me but I don't like anything but email, txt, etc notifications in there.

M

Matth3w

Hmmm, that might be a deal breaker for me. I really like Handcent, not sure if I can go back to the stock messaging application.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
Yeah, the option to not have it running with the persistence is in settings. I've found you almost never experience a problem like that, but very rarely if you are loading the CPU (this happened to me once while using several tabs in dolphin browser) the OS can stop the myLock process. Now normally when that happens, it restarts it within a short time. But if you happen to lock the phone before that restart, you'll get a lockscreen next time you go to unlock, and that might break your functionality in the Lite mode or other past release versions.

Could you guys describe the handcent issue? Was it just that you lose functionality? My new modes seem to allow the popup. These modes work by displaying a custom screen anytime the phone sleeps, overriding the lockscreen. If the phone sleeps again the popup is gone, does handcent normally keep it there on screen till you've done something with it?

I noticed handcent also provides the option to display popup only after unlocking, I bet that would stop it from conflicting and actually cause it to display properly after myLock does your unlock for you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Handcent Pop-Up stays on the foreground of the screen even if it sleeps after the pop up is received. You have to either reply within the pop up or X out of it to close the pop up.

Handcent has two settings for the lock screen interaction. 1 is to restrict the pop up. This allows you to set the pop up to only display when the phone is locked... so it won't 'pop-up' if you're using your phone. I found it annoying to have the pop up appear while I'm using the phone. It interrupts everything.

The other setting is to "show on locked". If it's enabled the pop up will show over the lock screen. If you disable it, the pop up will display under the lock screen, and you need to disable to lock screen to view it. This may be the way around this conflict :)