1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sony Releases its Official Android 4.0/ICS Beta ROM For Unlocked Xperia Devices

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

If this isn't a great reason to seriously start considering Sony smartphones as an alternative to some of the "locked bootloader" phone OEMs, then I am not sure what would be. Sony just released their own official beta of Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich for folks to try out on their unlocked Sony Xperia devices. Let's see... they allow their phones to be unlocked... check. They even release beta ROMs for the latest Android OS for devs and tinkerers to try out... check. They are starting to come out with better looking and more powerful phones, and update them frequently... check. Look's pretty good to me. At any rate, this new beta doesn't have everything working yet, but it is much farther along than the alpha they had before. Here are some details,

The beta is missing Google apps, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but those have to go through a certification process before they can be included in any official Sony ROM, so that is understandable. Sony even reported that they will be opening up their source code pretty soon so developers can tweak even further. The video above shows off this new beta ROM. For instructions and download links, hit up the Sony link below.

By eDogNights

Source: SonyMobile - Developer
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. metalspring

metalspring New Member

alright, go sony :)
  3. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

Cool. Hopefully HTC will release ICS before August.
  4. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

Oh yes. OEM support plus a minimal number of devices to focus on is the way to go. Shame that for some reason VZ only purchases crap devices from Samsung and Sony now. Might have to jump ship @ upgrade time, though I'm holding out for something that betters the Droid 4.
  5. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

If Sony keeps this up, I'm going to really have to consider them for my next smartphone purchase! :biggrin:
  6. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

Looks good. Very fast.
Search tags for this page

sony xperia active ics rom

unlock modem droid