Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/verizon_voles/a5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip

Download and rename update.zip. This is trickier than it sounds. Name it update and see if you get some kind of warning about changing the file extension. If you do, name it update.zip. If not, leave it as update.
Place file on the root of your SD card.
Power your phone off.
Boot into recovery (Hold Power + X).
Wait for a triangle with an exclamation point to appear. Release the power button and X key.
Press the volume up and camera button at the same time.
Using the d-pad (the square thing next to the keyboard) select “apply update.zip” and press the middle of the d-pad (gold-looking button).
Your phone will now attempt to install the update.
When it finishes, use the d-pad to select “reboot phone”.
Your phone will reboot with Android 2.2 unless something went wrong.

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
It didnt seem to like that update
"Failed to verify whole-file signature"
"Signature verification failed"
"Installation aborted"

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Did the file download completely? Because that's right from Google. How big was the file you downloaded?

If you try it again and get the same issue (and make sure your battery is at least 80% before attempting any update, sorry I should have said that sooner) then try this one:

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/OEM/9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

That's the FRG01B update. You can manually update to FRG22D or see if Verizon will update you OTA once you have it. :)

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
Yeah, it downloaded all the way, total was 77MB, but im trying the 2nd one you suggested anyway

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Starting to sound like rooting might be the only option. :)

But we'll try to get you updated. I'm heading off to get some sleep here in a minute, but if nobody has any ideas before tomorrow I'll try to get you set up asap.

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
Well i have it rooted, and tried to do the same with the "update.zip" and no luck still.

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
Well....Good news and bad.
Good: That one seemed to stick. It actually installed with no errors.
Bad: Once I started it up it just shows "Android" and nothing else. It wants to boot, and is trying to, but its not

So far what ive seen online with other people having this problem is them having to go to Verizon for a new one, but now that my droid is rooted, that voids the warranty, leaving me with nothing

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Restore your backup and you'll be right back to where you were when you first rooted, back up all your important data to your PC from the SD card, and then RSD Lite your phone with the FRG22D SBF file. If that takes, restore the data from your PC to your phone. If not, and it boot-loops on you again, the software and firmware on the phone is bone stock, so they'll replace it for you.

Just tell them this is what the update did to your phone; don't mention you did anything to it or they might try to deny your claim. Worst case scenario and you have insurance you'll have to get a replacement through the insurance company.

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
Well I went in SPRrecovery and flashed everything, and tried it again and now its all better. What was different between the other files you linked to and that last one?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The last one was a rooted version of FRG22D. The build.prop was altered slightly and you now have access to Titanium Backup and a whole bunch of other goodies. I suggested it only because you'd already rooted the phone. Otherwise I wouldn't have even mentioned it. :)

The Nexus 1 just got an update to FRG83. That means the Droid might not be far off from yet ANOTHER update; when it comes it'll unroot your phone if, by then, you still don't want it rooted.

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
I think ill be patient enough for it to auto update via OTA.
Thanks for all the help!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Happy to help. Two words of advice -- since you're rooted, try a few things and see if you like being rooted. Might as well, since you are already, right? ;) Second, keep an eye out. The guy who rooted that ROM you flashed might have blocked OTA updates, so you might have to flash it manually. Not a big idea since you know how, but it's something you should be aware of. :)