Official 2.1 zipped for manual install?

Delirious17

Reaction score
I remember when 2.01 came out, there was an official 2.01 .zip file you could download and manually install 2.01 over 2.0 on your Droid. Will such a file exist soon perhaps for those like me who are impatient and need their official 2.1 fix?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I should have known better, but I was thinking (hoping) this thread was about someone having it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I should have known better, but I was thinking (hoping) this thread was about someone having it.

Notice the (?) mark?

i bleed red and gold.

Yeah i blew right threw the question marks.

I saw "Official 2.1 zipped for manual install." (so I was both thinking troll and maybe this guy have something)
when it was him asking if someones else had the ota unzipped. So obviously the error was my doing.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I remember when 2.01 came out, there was an official 2.01 .zip file you could download and manually install 2.01 over 2.0 on your Droid. Will such a file exist soon perhaps for those like me who are impatient and need their official 2.1 fix?

One of the hackers has to get their hands on it before they can tell us how to manually install it. AFAIK no one on this forum received it today (actually, we have no idea if anyone received it).

windstrings

Reaction score
Unless I missed the original question... I think we all know the OTA has been delayed and the 2.1 has been hacked many various ways for Root update, but is it simply available as a manual update "without root" so that we simply get the OTA 2.1 early by manually updating it?

I"m confused as to why we have many varieties of ROM's for root to 2.1 available but no vanilla "non rooted" 2.1 available like we had when 2.01 first came out?

Is there a common understanding or suspicion that the rooted ROMs are not the final 2.1 version that will be released with the OTA?

If thats true, maybe we shouldn't be calling the rooted ROM's 2.1? but maybe some sort of beta or pre 2.1 instead?

Just to avoid confusion for everyone who is not in the nitty gritty "know".

Zac7

Reaction score
The vzw kiosk works don't know **** they were the ones in january saying its coming january 23rd lol know one knows anything. Nothing was confirmed just some bull**** iphone fanbois sites saying it was delayed cause no one on here got the first 1000 updates. Ill believe the update when I see it and believe the ota was cancelled when vzw confirms there was a real problem. Untill then my phone works great.

Brokn68

Reaction score
Eventually they will offer it for those users who want to manually update.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Unless I missed the original question... I think we all know the OTA has been delayed and the 2.1 has been hacked many various ways for Root update, but is it simply available as a manual update "without root" so that we simply get the OTA 2.1 early by manually updating it?

I"m confused as to why we have many varieties of ROM's for root to 2.1 available but no vanilla "non rooted" 2.1 available like we had when 2.01 first came out?

Is there a common understanding or suspicion that the rooted ROMs are not the final 2.1 version that will be released with the OTA?

If thats true, maybe we shouldn't be calling the rooted ROM's 2.1? but maybe some sort of beta or pre 2.1 instead?

Just to avoid confusion for everyone who is not in the nitty gritty "know".

there is a vanilla version out there, it's called the ESE53 sbf file.... it's in stock form with adb root only.... if you install it you will have a stock 2.1 version on your phone.

the reason there isn't an update.zip file yet is because it's not been released yet... it will be though as soon as a few phones get it and it's been rooted.

windstrings

Reaction score
Just seems if they are having problems releasing the OTA "and its finished" would be nice just to release the manual until they get the logistics figured out for the OTA.

While none of us like being promised an ice cream cone just to have it denied, I am not in the pack that thinks its our "right" to have an update.

I don't recall purchasing the droid as a beta, or a test phone that will be updated later.... I bought what I bought and I'm grateful for any updates offered.

Its ok for others to disagree.
Just funny with all this contention about the subject hardly any thread gets off the ground about the discussion without getting heated and getting shut down.

With all the hacker geniuses around here, why can't some of them get together and serve the whole rather than the few and provide a virgin 2.1 update.zip?

Without jumping to conclusions, I can see there is motivation for profit, ego boosts, and sheer pride to make a smooth running rooted version.

But reality is, that only serves a few rather than the many.

Is the problem that its not possible yet because there are still enhancements in the OTA that we don't have our hands on yet to make a true 2.1 update.zip with?

I still don't get it.

Seems if we can call the rooted roms 2.1 why can't we release a non rooted version?

Whats holding that back.... don't we have all the tools and the technology already?