OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation Guide Droid Razr & Razr Maxx

refuse2bstopped

Reaction score
Okay, when I get to step 9 (I believe it is...) after I select the blur. so and so version on the sd card, it then says "Choose a package to install" and under it I have these selections, 1st is this ../ 2nd is this META-INF/ 3rd is this patch/ 4th is this preinstall/ 5th is this recorvery/ and last but not least, 6 is this system/ So did I do something wrong? Or do I select one of these to actually start the "unpackage" process etc? I'll admit in my first post to being more or less a "noob" at this stuff....

ForeverZ3RO

Reaction score
I'd recommend using 1.7 found here: Droid Razr Utility 1.7 [For Ics And Those Who Want To Go To Ics] - DroidRzr.com
That can restore to 2.3.6 Gingerbread and can also do the 4.0.4 ICS upgrade process for you.

I'd like to go ahead to ICS.
My steps:
100% stock GB on 2.3.6
Placed zip on Ext-SD
Wiped cache 2x
Install ZIP from SD and got the error everyone else is getting
Stuck at "M" boot logo

I can still access recovery and AP boot.
What should I do? I'm downloading Matts 1.6 and 1.7.

BillyT

Reaction score
I had to use Matt's 1.7. I soft bricked, ran option 2 in the utility, then ran the update again. Running ICS now and it is stable. OTA? I don't need no steenkin OTA!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

stealthy45

Reaction score
Okay, when I get to step 9 (I believe it is...) after I select the blur. so and so version on the sd card, it then says "Choose a package to install" and under it I have these selections, 1st is this ../ 2nd is this META-INF/ 3rd is this patch/ 4th is this preinstall/ 5th is this recorvery/ and last but not least, 6 is this system/ So did I do something wrong? Or do I select one of these to actually start the "unpackage" process etc? I'll admit in my first post to being more or less a "noob" at this stuff....
It sounds like you unpacked the zip.
You need to move the zip itself to the SD card without unpacking it.

refuse2bstopped

Reaction score
I had to use Matt's 1.7. I soft bricked, ran option 2 in the utility, then ran the update again. Running ICS now and it is stable. OTA? I don't need no steenkin OTA!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
So at step number 9 in this "tutorial", it doesn't even start the process for me. It instead says "choose a package to install". What do I select from there actually start the process? Or should I say (based on some of these responses), start the "attempt" of the process? lol

stealthy45

Reaction score
I'd like to go ahead to ICS.
My steps:
100% stock GB on 2.3.6
Placed zip on Ext-SD
Wiped cache 2x
Install ZIP from SD and got the error everyone else is getting
Stuck at "M" boot logo

I can still access recovery and AP boot.
What should I do? I'm downloading Matts 1.6 and 1.7.

Use Matt's tool 1.7 to restore Gingerbread, boot into your phone.
Just to be safe, re-copy the ICS zip over to your SD card and overwrite it once you have Gingerbread up.
Reboot to the AB Fastboot and use Matt's tool 1.7 to set up ICS.

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
I have just read all the posts here, 50/50 chance of succeeding after a cache wipe, yes there is a 100% way by using Matt's utility and option 1 BEFORE using this guide, but that is to get to STOCK, which you guys should already be at since this is for 100% stock phones (Just as if it were a regular OTA). Status(7) is a system error and half the time it means that there is a modded file that is not in STOCK, if you get status (7) run Matt's utility and run option 1, it will work. Status (0) will also get fixed the same way, Matts utility, option 1.

I know this can be easily done with ROM manager/root explorer with the /cache way, but for that, you need to be ROOTED, meaning there would be no point of doing all this because this is for stock/unmodified phones.

Running Matts utility Option 1 BEFORE doing any of these steps will guarantee an even smoother flash, but I wrote this guide already thinking everyone was stock which most of you are but still having problems, meaning less steps.

I will edit the OP with instructions on how to unbricked the phone for people who soft bricked.

refuse2bstopped

Reaction score
It sounds like you unpacked the zip.
You need to move the zip itself to the SD card without unpacking it.
So how do I get it to unpack without "unzipping"? I noticed it did that, but I never unpacked it. However, after it downloaded, it went to the computer as a regular folder that says "Blur something" instead of all those Blur. so and so _ so and so.... Is it because I have a Mac instead of a PC? Guess I'll try the download from my other mac which doesn't have any "unzip" software on it....

stealthy45

Reaction score
I have just read all the posts here, 50/50 chance of succeeding after a cache wipe, yes there is a 100% way by using Matt's utility and option 1 BEFORE using this guide, but that is to get to STOCK, which you guys should already be at since this is for 100% stock phones (Just as if it were a regular OTA). Status(7) is a system error and half the time it means that there is a modded file that is not in STOCK, if you get status (7) run Matt's utility and run option 1, it will work. Status (0) will also get fixed the same way, Matts utility, option 1.

I know this can be easily done with ROM manager/root explorer with the /cache way, but for that, you need to be ROOTED, meaning there would be no point of doing all this because this is for stock/unmodified phones.

Running Matts utility Option 1 BEFORE doing any of these steps will guarantee an even smoother flash, but I wrote this guide already thinking everyone was stock which most of you are but still having problems, meaning less steps.

I will edit the OP with instructions on how to unbricked the phone for people who soft bricked.
From what I've been able to glean, those of us having issues somehow have an out of date recovery tool. I've pieced this together from descriptions from various posts and from my own experiences (recovery screen / process was visibly different between the first attempt and a restore with Matt's utility.)

stealthy45

Reaction score
So how do I get it to unpack without "unzipping"? I noticed it did that, but I never unpacked it. However, after it downloaded, it went to the computer as a regular folder that says "Blur something" instead of all those Blur. so and so _ so and so.... Is it because I have a Mac instead of a PC? Guess I'll try the download from my other mac which doesn't have any "unzip" software on it....
I'd say it's unlikely, but I don't know macs. All I can say is you copied over the folder structure, instead of the actual .zip file, and the update process expects the .zip file.

Edit: The exact file name should be 'Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip'

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
From what I've been able to glean, those of us having issues somehow have an out of date recovery tool. I've pieced this together from descriptions from various posts and from my own experiences (recovery screen / process was visibly different between the first attempt and a restore with Matt's utility.)

I'll update the OP with the 1.7 Utility

stealthy45

Reaction score
I'll update the OP with the 1.7 Utility
Another thing I noticed - if it matters, the .cache folder on my SD card had a bunch of stuff in it dating back to 2011, so the 'clear cache' didn't touch that directory. Also, the .cache directory on my phone itself has stuff dating back to May, so the clear cache tool clearly didn't touch it either.

ForeverZ3RO

Reaction score
Every time I launch Matts 1.7 the screen dissappears after I "press any button to continue

liljohn666

Reaction score
Hey I just wanted to let everyone know I was able to get this to work. My phone is currently optimizing apps. I followed the instructions. Non rooted on 2.3.6. Wipred cache twice. It did give me an error 0 and aborted. So I backed out of recover and went back in. Wiped cache another two times and installed. Worked the second time around.

R3DBAND

Reaction score
AP Fastboot says
battery: low
cannot programe
What do I do!?!?