OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation Guide Droid Razr & Razr Maxx

faross

Reaction score
I wasnt saying it was the ics but what i am thinking is possible from the link im not reall sure but i never got them before . I did see something from another person saying the same thing the other day but didnt think to much about it but for the last few days its been getting worse laugh or dismiss if ya want i was just putting it out incase others notice it also .

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Hi Phreaker,

Would be so kind as to paste the links / method you used? Is it the one on the very first page? Your post gives me hope that this will work if I follow the instructions correctly the first time :).

Thanks sir ~

This link details the steps just fine:

Droid Me

Just make sure you have the update on the root of your SDCard BEFORE starting this, and you'll be fine.

One thing that link doesn't mention... when you reboot into recovery after Matt's utility option 1 finishes, don't panic when you see the "dead android" and nothing else. Just press both volume buttons, and the recovery menu pops up. Then continue with the steps.

Dude_I_did_it

Reaction score
I would like to start by saying THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS PUT IN THE WORK TO MAKE THIS EASY!!!

I followed the OP and post #231:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...stallation-guide-droid-razr-razr-maxx-24.html

No problems, and I've been drinking heavy beers the whole time. Granted I'm somewhat tech savvy and have spent some time tinkering with my beloved TBolt, but if I can handle this while boozing, you guys can do it too! Time to get safestrap and flash some ICS Roms!! Thank you again OP for getting all of this together!! Your work is much appreciated!! And many thanks to Matt for his utility; though I didn't need it, it was nice to know I had that as a sidekick the whole time :)

[dancing razr gif] [I'm not good at this] [cracks another beer}

Dude_I_did_it

Reaction score
I took care of business with the help of the OP and post #231

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR WORK!! This sandwich is delicious and I am very grateful for everything everyone has done to make this possible!!

EDIT:

I'd like to reiterate... I was rooted with safestrap installed prior to installing this. What I did was (AND IF YOU SCREW UP, I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY, THOUGH YOU SHOULD BE FINE):

1. Cracked open a Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary IPA (a HEAVY beer for those that don't know)
2. Woke up my rooted, safestrapped Razr Maxx
3. Download Matt's 1.7 Utlility (in the OP) to have it as a safeguard in case anything goes wrong
4. Unziped Matt's Utility to C:
5. Installed the appropriate drivers (I'm on XP 32 Bit) from the unzipped folder
6. In my phone, opened Voodoo Root Keeper (available on Google Play)
7. Protected my root (there is a big button for this)
8. Punched the button for temp unroot (there is yet another big button for this)
9. Charged my phone to 100% (DON'T EVER ATTEMPT MODIFYING YOUR PHONE'S SOFTWARE WITHOUT A FULL BATTERY OR YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A BAD POSITION. IF YOU'RE BRAZEN ENOUGH TO DO SO AND FIND YOURSELF STUCK WITH A BRICK CLICK HERE:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/212075-brinked-phone-what-do.html

10. Downloaded the OTA file from the OP
11. Checked the MD5 to avoid messing around with a bad download on my $700 phone, free download here:

MD5 Checker - CNET Download.com

12. Used ES File Explorer to put the above file on the root of my external SD card (DO THIS ON THE EXTERNAL, NOT THE ONE LABELED "SD CARD")
13. Opened Voodoo Root Keeper and click the big button that says PROTECT ROOT (you will be able to click RESTORE ROOT to re-enable root if you are rooted when you start this process)
14. Opened safestrap and uninstall recovery, then hop into your app manager or Titanuium Backup if you're rooted and uninstall safestrap
15. Followed these steps copied from the OP on 6.29.12:
" 3. Turn off phone.

4. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

5. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)

*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*

6. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.

7. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Wipe CACHE partition" and press the Power button to select it. DO THIS TWICE (Don't worry your data will not get erased by wiping the cache.) (Thanks smmfc)

8. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Apply Update from SDCard" and press the Power button to select it.

9. Volume Down (-) go to the “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip” and select it with the Power button. (This is the one we put in the External SD in Step 2.) "

16. Let the first install fail

17. Rebooted

18. As soon as the red Moto Dual Core screen showed up, held POWER and Volume + and Volume - at the same time to go back into revoery

19. Wiped cache twice

20. Reinstalled “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip”

21. Waited a bit for the install to complete

22. Unrooted with Voodoo Root Keeper

23. Now working on installing safestrap ICS:

Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes

(CHECK YOUR MD5!!!)

24. Installing a new ROM. If you have questions about installing ROMs:

Let me google that for you

ENJOY ICS!!!

Again, thank you to everyone who made this process easy for those of us who are too impatient to wait for the OTA to drop to our specific phones :) :) :)

Last edited:
OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who got this working who stayed to help everyone else, I've been busy all week :sad: , ICS is now being pushed to everyone who doesn't have it currently, so if you're reading this, hold off and wait a couple of hours until you get it. You should only use this method if you 100% can't get it on your phone now through OTA. You're welcome to everyone who got this working! dancedroid

Telescopist

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who got this working who stayed to help everyone else, I've been busy all week :sad: , ICS is now being pushed to everyone who doesn't have it currently, so if you're reading this, hold off and wait a couple of hours until you get it. You should only use this method if you 100% can't get it on your phone now through OTA. You're welcome to everyone who got this working! dancedroid

Will this 'Push' when it happens work if you are rooted? I have a MAXX and rooted it early on using Matt's utility.

Reaction score
Anyone on this zip upgrade to ics get a new software upgrade? I clicked it and says Android 4.0 didn't update though cause dont want to brick phone.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
dragonkingdroid said:
Anyone on this zip upgrade to ics get a new software upgrade? I clicked it and says Android 4.0 didn't update though cause dont want to brick phone.

Yeah I just ignored it.

InVeNtOr

Reaction score
just dropping info here. i had .181 and couldn't get an ICS update no matter what i tired. saw a nice new rom (Black Widow) and decided to try it out.
followed the instructions and it worked like a champ. the only thing (i think) i did different was when i downloaded it to my phone, i then tried to "move" it to the SD card. it looked like it did the move, even showed up in the SD card, but said "failed." so i hooked the phone up to my computer and dragged the file from internal to external that way.
anyways....
so i loaded the custom rom. worked great. weird thing was, i was messing with it, and my 4G went out. i couldn't figure out what the heck i did, so i reinstalled it. again, worked like a champ. i then noticed it got updated (today) and had a new file (2012-07-04). so i downloaded that file. i decided the best course of action was to make a back up. this is where it went into the toilet. made the back up just fine. all was good. when it came to "reboot phone" i did that. it now became stuck at the "M" logo.
panic, panic, stress, anger, confusion........
tried everything......except.....
droid razar utility.....
i didn't know all the different versions so google gave me 1.51 first. i downloaded it, man took me an hour! i think it wasn't suppose to work, but....
it worked!
so my orginal .181 phone became .173. after it loaded, i did a software update to .181.
BAM! back to .181.
thanks for making that utility!

Ohmster

Reaction score

Hey Ripper,

I just got a Stock Droid Razr Maxx, 100% stock but the phone IS rooted. Will this work for me as posted? How the hell did you keep or get back root? Please answer, getting ready to do this now, need help! Please! Thanks.

I do not have voodoo rootkeeper or safestrap installed, never did on this phone. I got the Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip downloaded, but DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip is hard to download. I got one zip, took forever, file is corrupt. I am trying again, taking long time, will know in a half hour.

Can I use this method on this phone or is this for someone that has already tried ICS and either want to go to a higher version or screwed it up somehow? Thanks.

doniago

Reaction score
Voodoo worked like a charm for keeping root for me.

I never needed the utility, though I did need to double-wipe the cache after my first attempted install of ICS. No sweat.

Telescopist

Reaction score
Voodoo worked like a charm for keeping root for me.

I never needed the utility, though I did need to double-wipe the cache after my first attempted install of ICS. No sweat.

Could you please explain how you did that? I installed Voodoo. Then did an un-root from Voodoo. I then attempted to install ICS. I went into Settings>About Phone>System Updates. After a considerable bit of 'Checking for available update. Please wait...' Maybe 90 seconds of this revolving circle thingy going around and around I got this Update Available msg. 6.1.2.181. It takes awhile for the download. After a bit I get a prompt to Install Update 6.12.181. I click 'Install Now. The unit goes through a quick Power Off than Powers On. The Dual Core Icon pops up. After a brief pause unit begins to load the new update. Then I get this ! in a triangle next to the Droid Icon. The update fails every time. The phone reboots. Eventually I get a msg. that the 'Software update failed'. I click OK to get out of that window.

doniago

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure I can speak to that, as I applied the update manually (i.e. downloaded the zip file and processed it through recovery). I kind of throught at the exclamation point screen you could hit the power button and volume keys (maybe not both?) to get back into recovery...at that point, I'd theorize you could wipe the cache.

But, as you're not doing it the way I did, I'm not sure any of this would apply to your situation. You should be able to reroot via Voodoo once you're up and running though.

spartan948265

Reaction score
followed instructions and i got to the Apply ZIP Step and i got this error: assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/MyVerizon.apk", "bcd6b94bbadf6f986b9f6b7ab4392c1b4d9d7cbc", "223c429e61dd40072046c49f227b35457dae2ca1")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

Edit: I tried formatting data/cache and then reformating cache partition. I got this error when i tried to apply the update..

assert failed: mount(ext3, "MTD", "system", "/system"")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

HELP! D:

Last edited:
Reaction score
you need to download the recovery tool i think on the first post called like batman or something like that. i had error 7, did that tool and reflashed and was good.