No. I'm Not Jealous...but

butch350

Reaction score
Shouldn't there be seperate section for "rooters" and "Non Rooters"?
It seems like evey other thread is for "root users only" or something to
that effect.

Can't non rooters, and people who have no intention to root have a
seperate section.

When ever I run across a thread title that looks interesting, upon further investigation - it's usually an, "you have to be rooted thread",

COME ON MAIN!

:)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be seperate section for "rooters" and "Non Rooters"?
It seems like evey other thread is for "root users only" or something to
that effect.

Can't non rooters, and people who have no intention to root have a
seperate section.

When ever I run across a thread title that looks interesting, upon further investigation - it's usually an, "you have to be rooted thread",

COME ON MAIN!

:)

I hear you, and even though I'm rooted this week there are times when I take the root out and go back to stock. Seems like there is a lot going on with hacking and other stuff like that.

If properly posted anything that has to do with rooting should go into the hacking threads IMHO and really not be in places like the General Discussion Thread. You can't keep everything out of there, like people discussing wanting to hack or describing their experiences after hacking.

One of the big problems I think we have and just about all other forums have is thread titles. It would be simple enough if someone just put in parenthesis "root only," but getting people to do that would be hard.

Then again you can only open up so many threads. Tough call. Maybe one of the admins will see your post and give you a response. Not a bad idea.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Some of the content would be duplicated. I have seen some talk of prefacing thread titles or the original topic with for roots, or for non-roots...which really is for both. A recent couple of threads I've been posting in involved woodyman coming across the files for another android phone.

Goodies from other phones, For the Droid and us.!

Now, this thread is in the "Droid Hacking" section because it involved taking a system dump from another phone, going through it, and testing various apk installations on the Droid. The end result is a bunch of apps that work on the Droid, rooted or stock. Now, you do have to check off a box in your settings to accept unknown apps that didn't come through the app store but you don't have to root your phone. Definitely a hack to get stuff on your phone that wasn't released for it, but nothing that voids your warranty or roots the phone.

Maybe some sticky threads that point to hacks and items that work for non-rooted phones would save folks some time that don't feel like wading through all the hacking/rooted stuff to find things of interest? Maybe butch or some other non-rooter could start something like that and a mod could sticky it.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a sub-forum over at Android Forums, and it was called something like "Anything nd Everything having to do with root (ROMs, overclocking, etc." and EVERYTHING was in that one forum..

jbernard703

Reaction score
I guess the only solution is for you to root:) it is so simple and so rewarding. You can be just like me and comb the forums for the latest ROM, constantly reinstall apps and settings. It is fun

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess the only solution is for you to root:) it is so simple and so rewarding. You can be just like me and comb the forums for the latest ROM, constantly reinstall apps and settings. It is fun

You have to remember that not every member here has an interest in rooting, and some are perfectly happy with their phones the way they are. And then again there are those whose Droids are company owned phones and can't root as they don't actually own the device.

:r_c:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You have to remember that not every member here has an interest in rooting, and some are perfectly happy with their phones the way they are. And then again there are those whose Droids are company owned phones and can't root as they don't actually own the device.

:r_c:

oops. :) Although if work and I were to part ways I'm responsible for payments until the 2 yr contract with Verizon is up and I keep the phone.

But I agree with you Anne. No need to convert folks over. If they see what they like and understand the risks/benefits everyone can make their own minds up. Some people just want the phone to dial, texting to work, and the web to come up when they want it to. Nothing wrong with that.

Funny story...I've seen your posts for a while now. I'm reading the joke thread that got started to someone and say your user name out loud and have an ah-ha moment. I smacked myself for not catching on to the cool handle you chose for yourself until I actually heard it!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

First argument (not wanting to) is valid and respectable. The second (company owned) is a bit of BS. If/when you are told to turn a phone in you would (or should) wipe all the data off of it anyway so you can restore it to stock in minutes with RSDLite. If for some reason they take it from you before you can do this (i.e. you get fired or something) than just choose 'factory reset' to wipe your data and let them deal with it (besides, if they fire you like that, i.e. no notice you should make some extra work for them:icon_evil: lol).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First argument (not wanting to) is valid and respectable. The second (company owned) is a bit of BS. If/when you are told to turn a phone in you would (or should) wipe all the data off of it anyway so you can restore it to stock in minutes with RSDLite. If for some reason they take it from you before you can do this (i.e. you get fired or something) than just choose 'factory reset' to wipe your data and let them deal with it (besides, if they fire you like that, i.e. no notice you should make some extra work for them:icon_evil: lol).

ROFLOL! That will teach you to mess with KZIWarrior.:icon_ devil:

darreno1

Reaction score
I think I've given the guinea pigs (rooters) enough time and so far, hardly anyone has bricked their phones so I'm going to eventually root. But I'm going to do it after the official 2.1 release which looks like it might be released any time now.

As for a separate section for non-rooters, I don't know, I'm not bothered by all the rooting stuff. If it doesn't apply to me and I'm not interested, I don't bother to read the thread. Most of the time though, I am interested in what's available (rooted or not). And many threads contain a mixture of rooters and non-rooters so it might be a little difficult keeping them separate.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So here's the thing. If it is a hack it should go in the hacks section. If it is an app even a ported app for 2.1 that can run on a stock Droid or eris. then it should go in the apps section. Issues with those go in the tech help or issues section. With that done we shoud have a clean board.

If you see it out of place. Hit the report button for me. we will get it moved ASAP. This will help with any confusion for everyone. thanks and have a nice day