Newbie with just a couple questions

prowler85

Reaction score
Hey all! This site has been great, just had to join. New Moto Droid as of last Thursday, find myself charging multiple times per day due to excessive use. Just too much fun.

I have two questions, one hopefully easy and one I know I probably won't get an answer for which is why I have to ask (after extensive search on the net).

First, I just installed OpenHome, which seems pretty nice, and with Better Cut allows for some great personalization. I created a bunch of Shortcuts on one page though and realize I'd like them on another page, but can't figure out how to move them. Does anyone know if this is even possible, and if so, how?

Second, I installed PdaNet on my phone and home computer (one of the reasons I bought the phone to save my $30/mo WiFi fee). But the computer program keeps killing itself. From what I can tell, it's because a few services aren't started - specifically, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and Remote Access Connection Manager on Windows Vista. I keep getting error 1068. Which I found is because I need the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol started, but I get Error 1717 on that one. Can't figure out how to get this one started so that the Remote Access services can start.

I know that was a bit lengthy, but I've spent a day or so searching the net so I know it's not an easy one. I know it's more of a computer issue than a Droid issue, but thought I'd ask.

The OpenHome question I just KNOW someone knows.... :)

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
iPhone

wow, the guy that said he had an iPhone got tons of responses. Guess my questions were too difficult. :)

As far as the OpenHome question (moving icons to different screens), I actually figured that one out, if anyone is interested. Move the icon to the slide-out application dock (drag and drop), change to the screen you want it on, then move it off.

As far as the services issue, still stumped. I'm in the process of moving to Windows 7 to see if that will fix it. Seems like a lot to do but it will save me $30/month if I can get the PdaNet software to work and use my Droid as a modem.

But thanks for all the responses I'm sure I'll get from putting iPhone in my title. :icon_ banana:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: Prowler! i could have answered the bettercut question but you figured it out. i know nothing about pdanet. maybe when you get more familiar with your droid you can explore rooting and wifi tethering:D i'm sure someone will come along shortly to help you. good luck :D

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
wow, the guy that said he had an iPhone got tons of responses. Guess my questions were too difficult. :)

As far as the OpenHome question (moving icons to different screens), I actually figured that one out, if anyone is interested. Move the icon to the slide-out application dock (drag and drop), change to the screen you want it on, then move it off.

As far as the services issue, still stumped. I'm in the process of moving to Windows 7 to see if that will fix it. Seems like a lot to do but it will save me $30/month if I can get the PdaNet software to work and use my Droid as a modem.

But thanks for all the responses I'm sure I'll get from putting iPhone in my title. :icon_ banana:

First, :welcome: to the Droid forum. When somebody ask questions I can't answer I hate saying welcome but sorry, I don't have any answers for you. Which is true.

It wasn't a preference of one person over another. Your very welcome to be here. You may want to post some of these questions in the tech issues and bug support area. You're more likely to get a response there.

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
Hookbill, I realized my questions were probably not in the appropriate place, just thought I'd say hi and take a shot. But thanks for the welcome.

huskur

Reaction score
Hookbill, I realized my questions were probably not in the appropriate place, just thought I'd say hi and take a shot. But thanks for the welcome.

Personal opinion.......so take it for what it is worth

Forget PDANet...... read up on rooting your phone and get wireless tether. www.droidmod.org is a great place to read, watch videos and learn rooting. It is self guided and then once you have completed the rooting process you can tether wireless .

Like i said, this is only my opinion.....

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
huskur,
been wondering about the whole "root" thing, and have been looking around for a thread on pros and cons. I'm an engineer so am very computer and software savvy, but not a programmer. What are the advantages? Is it easy enough for someone who doesn't know Linux (though I remember a bit from my Unix days)?

If this has been discussed just point me to a thread. Would like to know what the benefits and tradeoffs are before doing something that seems a bit drastic/scary.

TIA!!

Droidfish

Reaction score
Really being tech savvy is a plus, but patience and the ability to follow directions will take you just as far.

Really there's not alot you can't do once your rooted.

With a rooted droid you can enable wifi tethering and make your phone a wifi hotspot, overclock your phone to operate at blazin speeds,
install custom roms that completely change the look of your phone to your liking as well as offer all the things that separate android 2.1 from 2.0.1 (and much more),

The list truly goes on thanks to all the hardworking devs that stay up all night making the droid the beast that it is.

REMEMBER: rooting is quite simple, BUT doing you're homework definitely pays off AND when you have questions... just ask... after you search, of course

huskur

Reaction score
huskur,
been wondering about the whole "root" thing, and have been looking around for a thread on pros and cons. I'm an engineer so am very computer and software savvy, but not a programmer. What are the advantages? Is it easy enough for someone who doesn't know Linux (though I remember a bit from my Unix days)?

If this has been discussed just point me to a thread. Would like to know what the benefits and tradeoffs are before doing something that seems a bit drastic/scary.

TIA!!

Read up on rooting and once you are comfortable do so. Possibilities are endless. Its so easy a caveman can do it. All you have to do is follow directions. Look up DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does.. and watch the videos on youtube "rooting with droidmod"

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
Droidfish, thanks for the info. I definitely understand patience and following instructions, and I'm sure I could do it. Just seems a bit scary for some odd reason. The wifi hotspot alone would be worth the effort.

I see that I have 2.0.1. I assume I can update this during the root? Any drawbacks or disadvantages to rooting? Anyone care to share huge plusses or horror stories? Is it easy to revert back if needed? To further my addiction will I need to give up sleep?

Just like to make informed decisions.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Prowler,
Welcome aboard!
For some good reading material browse through the 3 links in my signature.

I went through the steps in the first link to 1) root, 2) install sprecovery, and 3) make a backup. Then I did the steps in link 2 to install that rom that came with wifi tethering. I paid a buck for SetCPU and that was it.

To answer your question, the first link below has a link to get you back to stock, just how your phone is now.

jaw4bama

Reaction score
To make you feel better about rooting, I rooted my droid and I am very low on the tech savy table lol. It took me about 30 minutes and make sure you follow all the directions if you root your droid (very important). Also it is not hard to go back to stock if you want to go back. I love the wifi tethering app and also that you can overclock your droid and this is why I rooted my droid to begin with. The rom I chose was smoked glass rom and I love it! Oh and welcome to the forum lol.

Droidfish

Reaction score
Careful now, once you realize just how limitless the possibilities are it can become quite addicting...

Let us know how it goes

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
"become" quite addicting? Too late for that.

Well, here goes nuttin....off to root! (as bad as that sounds)

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
rooting this amazing device is AWESOME! Big thanks to christim for providing me the links and to Matt3W for the fantastic directions on how to root. Went so smoothly per his script it was scarey. Got my WiFi tether working and it is BLAZING fast. Not to mention how cool the live wallpapers are.

So my problems for the original post are now gone, the world is in harmony, and the droid revolution continues.

Just can't help but think though that I've taken one small step in helping machines to take over. There's probably an app for that.