New to maxx battery ?

Reaction score
Iam just curious if I need to adjust anything to conserve battery life like I did in the past? I am coming over from IPHONE and been out of the loop. I had take my phone off the charger at 5:15AM and had light use and now at 12:40PM, I have 67 battery. I am not sure what the standard is, but it seems a little low for the other high praise for battery life. Thanks guys.

aarong03

Reaction score
Iam just curious if I need to adjust anything to conserve battery life like I did in the past? I am coming over from IPHONE and been out of the loop. I had take my phone off the charger at 5:15AM and had light use and now at 12:40PM, I have 67 battery. I am not sure what the standard is, but it seems a little low for the other high praise for battery life. Thanks guys.
1.)Screen brightness = 25%
2. Screen timeout= 30 sec.
3. Smart Actions- Nighttime battery saver(and or juice defender)
4. Settings-More...-Wireless & networks-mobile networks-network mode- set to LTE/CDMA
5. Turn off WiFi unless you are always on it.
6. Use 3G if you are in a weak 4G area. Get the LTE OnOff app.
These are just a few suggestions I've been using. I'm sure other members will have more options also.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
At your next chance, turn the phone off (you can turn it off at any charge level). Charge it with power off until you reach 100% (tap the volume rocker to check.....should be about 4-5 hours if the phone was at about 15%). Turn it on again and use it normally until you reach the "low battery" warning (approx 10%). Turn it off again and recharge to 100% again with power off. This will set the high and low battery flags on the meter; thus, calibrating the meter to your battery. Kinda like resetting your car's fuel gauge to accurately read the fuel level in the tank.
Do this about every 2-3 months.
Now, about the 3g/4g thing...4g is a known battery sucker. If you need 4g keep it. I rarely need to download something while away from my wifi so I have 4g off. Wifi uses less battery than 3g and is faster than 4g (at least mine is).
Turning 4g off is easy. Download lte on/off from the play store. I know it's listed for another phone....don't worry about that. Open the app and scroll down to "set preferred network type". At the right corner underneath it you will see a small gray triangle, tap it. Select LTE/CDMA/EVDO for 4g, or CDMA/autoPRL for 3g. Tap the back button until you are out of there.
It should stay on 3g even with a restart. BUT....I noticed that this is app-dependent. Some apps make it revert back to the default 4g on restart. If this is the case then reapply the switch. Sound complicated....but it's not really.
Another thing that you can do to extend battery life is to apply the 215 leak over ics. This leak is real Motorola software and perfectly safe. It's the latest "patch" for the ice cream sandwich upgrade. It extends battery life.
I'll post the link on a terrific thread that will walk you through it.

All credit for the battery meter calibration info goes to FoxKat. The 215 leak info comes from MattyP.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
bruben7886 said:
At your next chance, turn the phone off (you can turn it off at any charge level). Charge it with power off until you reach 100% (tap the volume rocker to check.....should be about 4-5 hours if the phone was at about 15%). Turn it on again and use it normally until you reach the "low battery" warning (approx 10%). Turn it off again and recharge to 100% again with power off. This will set the high and low battery flags on the meter; thus, calibrating the meter to your battery. Kinda like resetting your car's fuel gauge to accurately read the fuel level in the tank.
Do this about every 2-3 months.
Now, about the 3g/4g thing...4g is a known battery sucker. If you need 4g keep it. I rarely need to download something while away from my wifi so I have 4g off. Wifi uses less battery than 3g and is faster than 4g (at least mine is).
Turning 4g off is easy. Download lte on/off from the play store. I know it's listed for another phone....don't worry about that. Open the app and scroll down to "set preferred network type". At the right corner underneath it you will see a small gray triangle, tap it. Select LTE/CDMA/EVDO for 4g, or CDMA/autoPRL for 3g. Tap the back button until you are out of there.
It should stay on 3g even with a restart. BUT....I noticed that this is app-dependent. Some apps make it revert back to the default 4g on restart. If this is the case then reapply the switch. Sound complicated....but it's not really.
Another thing that you can do to extend battery life is to apply the 215 leak over ics. This leak is real Motorola software and perfectly safe. It's the latest "patch" for the ice cream sandwich upgrade. It extends battery life.
I'll post the link on a terrific thread that will walk you through it.

All credit for the battery meter calibration info goes to FoxKat. The 215 leak info comes from MattyP.

Forgive me in advance if I am incorrect but if my memory serves me, one important part of the above mentioned charging method calls for the part where turning the phone back on to be done while still connected to the charger. And allowing to the phone to fully boot before unplugging it.

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Miklb58 said:
Forgive me in advance if I am incorrect but if my memory serves me, one important part of the above mentioned charging method calls for the part where turning the phone back on to be done while still connected to the charger. And allowing to the phone to fully boot before unplugging it.

No need to apologize, only one way to learn from each other is to ask.....and I'm gonna ask....FOXKAT....CALLING FOXKAT! :)
Seriously, this is the first I hear about what you mentioned. Can you point me in the direction of where you saw this info?. We have a great battery sub forum here. That's where I get my info from. Thanks in advance!

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
bruben7886 said:
No need to apologize, only one way to learn from each other is to ask.....and I'm gonna ask....FOXKAT....CALLING FOXKAT! :)
Seriously, this is the first I hear about what you mentioned. Can you point me in the direction of where you saw this info?. We have a great battery sub forum here. That's where I get my info from. Thanks in advance!
I would have to search for it, and it would have been here in the Droid Razr Maxx forum, but I'm pretty confident it was in the battery thread a couple +/- months back, shortly after the ics update, that had many many pages.
I just remember when I read it I thought that it made total sense since the boot process may drain the battery slightly, before the meter has had the chance to measure it at it's highest voltage.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Miklb58 said:
I would have to search for it, and it would have been here in the Droid Razr Maxx forum, but I'm pretty confident it was in the battery thread a couple +/- months back, shortly after the ics update, that had many many pages.
I just remember when I read it I thought that it made total sense since the boot process may drain the battery slightly, before the meter has had the chance to measure it at it's highest voltage.

Hmmmm.... makes sense.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I actually do wait for the phone to boot up before unplugging just because I want to start at a full 100% but not sure if it is recommended or not. My experience doing it has been positive though. Great tips and advice bruben & Aarong. The things they suggested should give you great battery life. I also used the Smart Actions battery extender which turns off your data, wifi and sync when you're not using your phone and immediately turns it back on when you unlock your screen.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks you for all the great info, I did the first shut down charge till 100% then rebooted and unplugged. I was curious how many time should you do that,or is that an every night process? thanks again for the info.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You only have to do it for two cycles. Right now you will want to use your phone without charging until it gets to the low battery warning (about 10%) then turn it off, charge to 100% again while off. Then you can use and charge your phone as you normally would... no need to turn it off anymore when you charge it. Then, in about 3 months you can repeat this cycle again.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You're welcome and thanks to the great tips from aarong, bruben, & miklb. This is such a great forum!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Thanks bruben7886 for PM'ing me about this question. So sorry I am just seeing it now and responding.

This concept of letting the phone boot before disconnecting from the wall power adapter after charging with power off to 100%, to assure it boots and sets the FULL flag with 100% of the charge would make sense if the adapter and charging system were a constant-on charging system. However, with Lithium Ion batteries, once the battery has reached the manufacturer's recommended full charge voltage and current draw, the charging system (which is actually located in the phone itself), shuts down and supplies 0 voltage to the phone. This is done to protect the battery from possible over-charge since these batteries can not withstand a constant charge and have the potential to reach a "thermal runaway" state where they rupture and burst into flame if left on constant charge.

You can confirm whether the battery and phone is receiving power from the wall adapter and charger in two ways. First if the battery icon in the right corner at the top of the screen has a lightning bolt on it - it's receiving power, and of course no lightning bolt, no external power (even if still connected to the wall adapter). Second, if the charging circuit has shut down power to the phone and battery, the phone actually tells you on the screen that the battery is fully charged and to disconnect the charger from the phone and wall to conserve power. This is because even while the wall adapter is not supplying power to the phone, the phone still knows it's connected, and these wall adapters do continue to consume power and waste it while plugged into the wall outlets whether actually charging or not, even if there is no phone connected.

This means even if using the phone while connected but after being fully charged, the phone will run off the battery only - until the battery levels reach 90%, which is the point at which the charging circuitry decides it's time to resume and "top-off" the battery. This same monitoring and resumption of charging process happens when the phone is powered off or when powered on but in a rest state such as overnight. If you watch a phone's voltages after the charging cycle stops, you'll see that the charging system is waiting and watching the voltage, and it will drop very slowly over time. If powered off, it could take 24 hours to reach 90% due to normal battery self-discharge, whereas if the phone is powered on and in a rest state like while charging overnight, it could happen much sooner and may actually execute a resume charge during the night depending on how much power the phone uses during that time. Each time the remaining power hits 90%, the charging will resume to 100%, the charging will stop, and the waiting resumes.

The same holds true with a phone that's only partially charged but running while on the charger, except in reverse. It will run on the combination of the battery and charger, consuming power while the battery is fighting for additional power to charge. If it is able to both charge and power - depending on how much power the phone is actually using, again once the battery reaches 100%, the charging circuitry will shut down and the phone will run on the battery until it's eaten up the top 10%, at which time charging (and power) will resume. Some have experienced where the phone will actually discharge while still on charge if using GPS Navigation in the car with the display on bright (as it would be in sunlight if set to auto brightness), for instance. The reason being since it consumes more power in that operating state to run the GPS, communicate with the towers for map information, calculate and monitor routes, and provide voice prompting and display the map information than the charger can actually supply, thus leaving the remaining shortfall to the responsibility of the battery.

So knowing this, it appears that there would be no benefit to powering up before disconnecting after a full charge to 100% with power off, hoping to give the meter the best representation of 100% of capacity. The truest representation of 100% of capacity will be at the moment when the phone reaches 100% and signals the charging circuitry to shut down. If the phone is on, there can be a notification sound set to alert you that the phone has reached a full charge, though I don't believe that works with the power off (yet I may be mistaken).

In fact, the manufacturer actually shows in the user's manual, that you should charge to 100% with power off before doing the initial activation - 3 hours for the RAZR, and 5.5 hours for the MAXX. Then it says to remove from the charging adapter, and then power the phone up. If it were detrimental to the "FULL" flag to do that I am sure the manufacturer would be specific in saying to power the phone up first, before removing from the charging adapter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2