New Razr Maxx HD Feels slow.. Broken?

harp666

Reaction score
My phone was a bit laggy after the jelly bean update...was avoiding doing a factory reset but finally gave in....and glad I did....much smoother now.

pctdavis

Reaction score
My phone was a bit laggy after the jelly bean update...was avoiding doing a factory reset but finally gave in....and glad I did....much smoother now.

I was having similar problem after JB update. Just got phone 24 hours ago and updated to JB out of the box. Worth while to do a factory reset?

Red meat is not bad for you. Green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

Hodor

Reaction score
just wanted to put my 2 cents in...

Motorola, Verizon, Amazon and Google really porked us over with JB this round-the bloatware is incredible. I don't know what Amazon paid Google or Verizon but their apps eat horrible amounts of memory.

After the JB update I was getting as low as 125-150 meg left free (outta 1 gig) at any given time (with no apps running), and experiencing quite a bit of lag and general choppiness.

After I got done freezing/removing all the apps I did not want/need I now usually sit around 240-350 meg free and all my lag/slowness is gone, the phone runs GREAT!!

You DO NOT have to be rooted to freeze anything on my list below, I am strictly stock. Also, this is IMPORTANT, check your multi-tasking "button" (the one on the far right) throughout the day and close (by swipping them to the left) any apps shown there that you are not currently using. This seems to help me IMMENSELY! Only pain is having to close each one at a time. It would be nice if they had a "close all" button like my wife has on her samsung galaxy tab 2 tablet.

Anyway, here's what I froze:

Accessories (Verizon app) - don't want/don't need

Amazon MP3 - I use mostly use poweramp for what music I play

Audible - don't want/don't need

Chrome - bah!!! (makes a cross with his fingers) this thing is a resource hog!! I have used Dolphin for for almost 2 years and still am happy with it

Google play magazines - don't want/don't need

Google Play Movies & TV - don't want/don't need ( i do not have unlimited data, nice try google /verizon)

Google+ - don't want/don't need

MC3 - don't want/don't need

NFL mobile - don't want/don't need

Real Racing 2 - don't want/don't need

Verizon Tones - don't want/don't need (Verizon isn't giving up easy lol)

VZ navigator - don't want/don't need (really Verizon? you ever hear of something called Google maps?? doh)

Zappos - don't want/don't need

I also turned off Google Play, to me it takes up way too many resources for what it gives in return. I already have plenty of other apps that do the same without slowing my phone down.

There are still a few misc. Google apps I could have removed but I have my Google Service down to 1 process and 2 services using around 14 meg so I figured I could live with that (I actually kinda like Kindle)

I also uninstalled my amazon app and amazon scan app, I just use my browser instead.

So, over all, the biggest thing is keeping your amazon and google services under control and the only way to do that is by uninstalling or freezing the ones you dont need.

Like I said above I got my Google services down and my Amazon services were using a whopping 50+ meg of memory and I got that down to 13 meg/1 process and 3 services.

And really, this applies to any app you DOWNLOAD, not system apps that are part of the Android OS. After you use an app you've downloaded, wait until the end of the day and go look at your running applications. Is it still running? Is it the kind of app that REALLY needs to be still running?? How many apps REALLY need to stay resident in your phones memory all the time? And look to see how much memory that is exactly? Even if its only sucking up 2 or 3 meg, that adds up pretty fast. Android is supposed to manage this and close apps on a timely basis, but guess what, its not perfect. Unfortunately, if it is a resource hog, you pretty much have no choice but to uninstall it. DON'T try using task managers to manage things! It will make it worse.

I've been in computers 25 years and this reminds me of the old windows days when you really had to sit on task manager and keep an eye on how many processes were running. Memory cost a lot more back then and any computer guy worth his salt didn't give it up to be eaten by crappy programs coded poorly, trying to spy on you, trying to spam you or all of the above. Now it's just crappy apps doing the same. If manufactures keep this up, the 1 gig of memory we have is NOT going to be enough! They are trying their best to turn all smartphones into pure advertising machines, so we have to fight back however we can. It's not like we don't pay enough for these things already!

Well, I hope someone found this entertaining to read!

Good Luck!

(please remember, anything you do to your phone you do at you own risk, your mileage may vary!)

OP
C

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Motorola, Verizon, Amazon and Google really porked us over with JB this round-the bloatware is incredible. I don't know what Amazon paid Google or Verizon but their apps eat horrible amounts of memory.

After the JB update I was getting as low as 125-150 meg left free (outta 1 gig) at any given time (with no apps running), and experiencing quite a bit of lag and general choppiness.

After I got done freezing/removing all the apps I did not want/need I now usually sit around 240-350 meg free and all my lag/slowness is gone, the phone runs GREAT!!

You DO NOT have to be rooted to freeze anything on my list below, I am strictly stock. Also, this is IMPORTANT, check your multi-tasking "button" (the one on the far right) throughout the day and close (by swipping them to the left) any apps shown there that you are not currently using. This seems to help me IMMENSELY! Only pain is having to close each one at a time. It would be nice if they had a "close all" button like my wife has on her samsung galaxy tab 2 tablet.

Thanks for the input. I actually imagined it has to be a RAM issue. There was never more than 100MB free on my Razr HD. Now that I'm back on my Nexus, I notice that I usually have around 250MB free. Another thing I noticed is the launcher on the Razr HD is a massive memory and CPU hog. Using GSAM battery manager, I'd see that "Homescreen" was using the most 25% of my battery. On the Nexus, the system Launcher uses like 2%.

pctdavis

Reaction score
Okay, wow. Thanks for alerting me to this. So, only <20% memory left after clearing it? Anyone know what the ratio is like on the 2GB DNA? Is it the same ratio and Sense uses more memory? I'm going to have to play with this some more. The phone is working much better now.

Spydaz

Reaction score
Fwiw. I just did a FDR and left the restore unchecked when re-logging into my main gmail account and the phone runs unbelievably fast now.

I know it will suck to have to put all your stuff back the way it was but trust me its world's better. Now I love this phone.

Thanks to all that recommended to FDR!!

Happy Holidays!

pctdavis

Reaction score
Dumb question, where is the factory reset on these phones? Haven't found it yet.

Spydaz

Reaction score
Dumb question, where is the factory reset on these phones? Haven't found it yet.

Settings-privacy-At bottom of that page.

xmguy

Reaction score
My Maxx HD has over 300+ apps and 5 home screens and 3 widgets. Nothing fancy. But mine is fairly snappy. I'd recommend to use the app switcher to close apps by swiping them to the left or right. It will shut them down. If you are using a music player like Pandora it won't shut that down even if you swipe it closed. Just so you know. That should help. Make sure you keep the open apps at the same time to a minimum.

harp666

Reaction score
I was having similar problem after JB update. Just got phone 24 hours ago and updated to JB out of the box. Worth while to do a factory reset?

In my case it was..didn't have a lot on the phone other than a few apps I downloaded. Figured I would reset before customizing to much where it would become a hassle getting things back to where I had them.

pctdavis

Reaction score
Okay, anyone else reading this thread and think your phone has slowed since the JB update, do your self a favor and do a factory reset. Its worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

pksopp

Reaction score
I finally updated to JB yesterday and am happy to report that my phone didn't slow down at all. I did change my launcher from GoLauncher to ADW (still not settled on that either, starting a thread on that), because of some slight chunk with the notifications pulldown, but basically the phone is not slower, nor faster than it was before. However, GoogleNow saves me a click when searching by voice, low-light pictures are definitely improved and i like having more detail in the notifications, too (reply in 4.2 will be even better).

I don't use FoxFi, so no issues there. For some reason my backed-up settings did not reload to JB, that was annoying. Lastly, I've had to "clear data" a few times to get Amazon App Store to load. But overall not many gripes, I think I'll keep it :)

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
Anyone having higher battery drain after JB update? All runs fine but used to be able to go 2 days on a charge and now not possible after update. If so, any thoughts?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Are you using Google now a lot? ... might want to consider a factory reset or at least a cache wipe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2