1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Will the razr maxx hd get rooted

Discussion in 'RAZR HD and RAZR HD MAXX Support' started by pc747, Sep 23, 2012.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

Htc may have found away to prevent hackfoolery on their one x and the atrix
    Hd hasn't been super rooted. Now i see we are going on week 3 of the razr m and no root.
    So you think the razr maxx hd will get rooted and how long after release. If the razr maxx hd can't be rooted will that prevent you from getting it.

Me personally ill give up the bootloader but will not give up super user. So if the razr maxx hd can't be rooted then i will buy a different phone.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  2. nateohio

nateohio New Member

I second your sentiment...since I'm paying full retail for my next device anyways...I'm sure as hell not buying a device that isn't unlocked
  3. jjbinks82

jjbinks82 New Member

Dittos here.

Like old chinese proverb, "No root no buy".

Well, not really a chinese proverb but the principle still stands....
  4. bruben7886

bruben7886 New Member

I like to believe that banks, power plants (including Iranian nuclear plants) and such are much more secure than the software on my phone; yet, they get hacked all the time. That these phones will "never" get rooted is a far-fetched idea. Where there's a will there's a way....where there's a hacker/developer there's root access, eventually.
  5. jjbinks82

jjbinks82 New Member

I know you mean. It will. Only thing is when. With all the phones out there flooding the market it's tough for developers to stay up with just one phone. I've got my fingers crossed it'll be before the phone even his the market.

I'm buying this phone full price so here's to hoping....
  6. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

My contract is up at the end of november and if this isn't out and rooted im going to buy a note 2

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  7. pc747

Unless samsung trips over themselves at the last minute and the american versions are crappy compare to what we seeing with the international version, the razr maxx hd has been dropped to the second choice. Motorola really hurt themselves waiting this late. More phones are coming out and we are seeing a lot of hands on thanks to youtube reviews. The only edge motorola has with the razr maxx hd is the battery life and smaller size (for those who want a one handed phone). And at this point they better get it out before more reviews and phones are released. Dont get me wrong motorola will sell the maxx hd because of the battery life but they lost a lot of potential buyers by waiting this late. For me the pendulum was swinging back and forth between the maxx hd and note 2 with the maxx hd having the edge at one point despite having half the ram. Now with news of the maxx hd having antenna issues (one of the reasons I was going to choose the maxx over the note 2 was because of the radios) the pendulum has swung back in the direction of the note 2.
  8. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

+1 and specs in general note 2 blows the maxx hd out of the water the note has a removable 3100mah battery so we may see 5000 mah extended batteries and if that's true the maxx is inferior in every way

9. pc747

except durability (surviving a drop test). But that is what cases are for.

On to the next.....

Cuz soon I hope to be doing this:

Just have to decide between vzw or at&t and white or grey.
    Leaning towards vzw grey. As long as the note 2 can be rooted I am game for vzw. Take away root ill go elsewhere but I am getting the note 2.
  10. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

I heard that the root exploit has already been discovered. Im also thing grey vzw now just have to decide 16 or 32gig

11. pc747

hope ya right :biggrin: .
  12. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

13. pc747

Saw that but again that is at&t we will have to see if vzw tries and close the exploit used to open the gs3.
  14. drew96dawg

drew96dawg New Member

Its stupid that they would try that, we pay hundreds of dollars for these phones and then pay verizon 2000 more over the course of a contract and they try to limit what we can do with these devices that we pay our hard earned money for. Its even worse that we just sit here and take it like it is the right thing for them to do

15. maxxhd

maxxhd New Member

RAZR MAXX HD root works using djrbliss method on XDA.
  16. goffredo

goffredo New Member

Interesting.

Then, is there any reason to wait for the Developer's Edition for this phone? I mean, is there any benefit to having an "officially" unlocked bootloader? For example, let's say you have two devices:

- RAZR Maxx HD
    - RAZR Maxx HD, Developer's Edition

Then you root both devices using the same djrbliss symbolic link exploit. In terms of supporting OTA upgrades, which is the part where you can get yourself intro trouble when it comes to rooting (well other than bricking your phone during the root process, or installing root-only apps that mess stuff up), there is really no advantage to the DE, as far as I can tell. IN fact, the DE has a marked disadvantage in that it comes fresh out of the box without any warranty. On the normal, non-DE edition, there is a warranty, and so I presume you can restore the factory firmware and send it back to Verizon if, say, the speaker stops working under the warranty period. But if you tried this with the DE, they'd just kind of laugh at you.

If this is true, I'll just buy the regular edition. Either way, I'm paying full retail price, because this is the only way I can keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Man these forums are so useful!
  17. dan.dar

dan.dar New Member

Root works, but the bootloader is still locked. It's still possible to load custom roms but not kernels or radio (from what I understand).
  18. macpro88

macpro88 Super Moderator

So far we have root. Once the safestrap/kexec devs get a hold of the HD we should see a recovery and then ROM dev. Its a start. Hopefully this phone gets a lot attention.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
  19. goffredo

goffredo New Member

So let me see if I follow. If the device is rooted, then it means it applications that need root access are able to run -- such as most wifi tether apps. But it's not possible to re-flash the radio with anything other than official Verizon-approved stuff.

If that's the case, then I don't really need a developer's edition. I really just need to be able to install applications that require root access. Sounds like a trip to the Verizon store is in turn!
  20. macpro88

macpro88 Super Moderator

root just gives you read/write permissions to the /system/ partition, this is where the OS resides and its applications.

with an unlocked bootloader you get access to boot, kernel, and other partitions that allow you to flash custom kernels which are pieces of software that tell the hardware how to work with the /system/ OS. This opens up a whole new world because instead of having access to just /system/ which is strictly software level, you now have access to the hardware level and can make the hardware work how you want it to. This is a loose example but should help you understand.
Search tags for this page

droid razor maxx hd root

how to root the razr maxx hd xda

root droid maxx hd dan