DROID RAZR MAXX HD LED light

guesswho822

Reaction score
Just got a replacement for the DROID RAZR MAXX HD , this my 2nd phone in 2 days because the led notification light don't work. Anyone having this problem, it only works when the battery is very low. Someone help me!!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try loading up handcent or go SMS and send yourself some test texts - if one doesn't work, uninstall and try the other. If they don't work, try Light Flow. See if any of those enable it.

Or, if you factory reset it, don't log into your google account, then do some test texts again and see if its working.

I know this sounds a bit crazy, but two in a row is an odd coincidence, and there's a method to my madness. Similar scenario happened to me awhile back...

sent via Tapatalk on my Razr Maxx HD

OP
G

guesswho822

Reaction score
Thanks I'll give it a shot, but light flow don't work, been trying for 2 days. Even the emailed the developer and he couldn't help either, but I'll try handcent & goSMS

geoff5093

Reaction score
No problems for me, it flashes green and blue based on my notifications.

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Mine flashes so well it wakes me up at night! Sheesh that thing is BRIGHT!

xmguy

Reaction score
dmbatcofc said:
Mine flashes so well it wakes me up at night! Sheesh that thing is BRIGHT!

I hear ya. I liked the older tiny led. This one could double as a flashlight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

jaseman

Reaction score
No problems for me, it flashes green and blue based on my notifications.

Are you using something stock to the phone to get the LED to change from green to blue, or are you suing a third party app?

geoff5093

Reaction score
Are you using something stock to the phone to get the LED to change from green to blue, or are you suing a third party app?
All stock. I get white for Google+ notifications, green for messaging, and blue for other notifications.

Webbslinger

Reaction score
maxx hd notification light

The faulty notification light on the Max HD is a hardware issue and you aren't going to fix it with re-sets and downloads. I've replaced My phone twice and all three didn't have the light. Talked to tech at Motorola and they confirmed it isn't a software issue. You can send Moto your phone or wait to exchange for new ones. You have to talk to customer service to ensure you get a new one if it's outside of 14 days. There are some software issues too. Google search history is messed up on mine. Probably others. Teething bugs though. Really good conectivity, much better than Samsung S3.

Webbslinger

Reaction score
razr maxx notification light

I should have included that I'm in WA state. Maybe the problem isn't universal, but if your phone has it, that's the story. Don't go crazy trying to fix it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I was getting at with my suggestions was something I ran into awhile back. I've had a lot of phones, and Google saves some settings that it automatically reloads when you log into your account. I had two Motorola devices - the Razr Maxx and Razr M - where it was clearly software related. I replaced my first Maxx b/c I thought it simply wasn't working. We opened up the replacement and powered it on. Tested the notification, and it worked fine. I logged into my account, let it sync up as I was driving back to work, and lo and behold the LED stopped working again. I was able to "reactivate" it by loading up Handcent or GO SMS and forcing the LED through one of those apps. When I replaced the Maxx with the M, same scenario - worked fine, then logged in and it stopped working, apps got it working again.

Now here's my theory, since mine were clearly not hardware related - I've had numerous HTC devices, and HTC allows you to specify what will and won't trigger the LED notification light. Google saves those details so when you reset and resync, it will load back up the exact same LED preferences. Based on what I saw with both of my phones, I think Google's saved preferences were somehow disabling the LED notification when it resynced with my Motorola device. Since Motorola doesn't allow you to enable or disable the LED in it's UI, you need something else to enable it from a slightly deeper level.

Given that it's not very likely to get two devices in a row with a broken LED (though I see we have two posters that had that happen! :)), I thought this software-based suggestion could be it.

Tsquare

Reaction score
When I got my phone I used the back-up and restore from account, and my light did not work. A hard reset and not using that, just putting the apps I use on it and everything worked fine.

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
Try loading up handcent or go SMS and send yourself some test texts - if one doesn't work, uninstall and try the other. If they don't work, try Light Flow. See if any of those enable it.

Or, if you factory reset it, don't log into your google account, then do some test texts again and see if its working.

I know this sounds a bit crazy, but two in a row is an odd coincidence, and there's a method to my madness. Similar scenario happened to me awhile back...

sent via Tapatalk on my Razr Maxx HD

I have the same problem. I tried your advice and did a factory reset/wipe and went through basic setup without entering my Google account info and the notification light WORKED!!! However, after logging in with my Google credentials the light no longer works. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

EDIT::I did what the poster a couple back suggested which was to install Go SMS or something similar and it did "re-enable" the led. Pretty cool. Now I just have to start over from scratch AGAIN and restore all my settings and files and then re-install the app to make this happen again. Great advice! Also, great to know that the hardware is not bad.

Last edited:

SIIG

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue and VZW tech support was not able to help. They called Motorola tech support and they said the phone should only show red while being charged... Anyone having the same problem

RaveD

Reaction score
Not having this problem. Verizon restored my phone from Google and the LED works fine. Get different color flashing notifications depending on the application (E-mail, SMS, Yahoo Messenger).

Guess I'm lucky?