New phone, first attempt at rooting failed. Need more help.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
(Solved) New phone, first attempt at rooting failed. Need more help.

****EDIT****
Editing the first post to add to the title to indicate that my issue is fixed, after many hours of reading information that may or may not be included in this thread!
If you think you need help on the same subject I will be glad to assist you.

Thanks for everyone that replied and everyone else that got me back and running without losing anything or replacing the phone. I found that a LOT of people simply returned their Droid, as it was within their warranty (as mine is) and I do not see that as a solution. Screwing up your Droid and making Verizon or other carrier give you a new phone does not fix the problem unless it really is an issue you did not cause :greendroid:
If you are going to mod your phone or attempt to root it, please research as much as possible FIRST.
****END EDIT****
First off I want to thank jstafford1 for all the help he could provide for me at the time.

But I caught him at a bad time so I'm asking for more help. I will copy my original post and link it here. I don't mean to annoy anyone here but I sure could use the help!

I realize this is a lot to read, but I don't want to leave any information out. There really is no reason to click any links except the *Important first link* because it is the one where jstafford1 attempted to help me, and none of the other threads produced any replies including the original one where I asked for help on a separate forum. I replied to a thread "HelpASAP Broke new phone" because the situation is similar but am now creating a new thread as directed, and hopefully will gain some extra help as the original problem in that thread was apparently solved by the OP.

LINK TO POST HERE : HelpASAP Broke new phone *Important first link*
I am really hoping someone here can assist me as I don't want to post a new topic for something that is such a similar situation.
I posted my reply in a place that is probably not appropriate but I thought it was at the time. If anyone here could give this a read, I am having the stuck Motorola Logo issue and I can't get Nandroid to fix it.

I really hope I can get this up and running again soon..... I've been up all night and yesterday attempting to fix this with no luck at all.

Link to the post I am referring to - Ultimate Droid OTA 8.6.3 (New Base) Faster, Lots of Fixes, and Themeable Framework
Quoate of - Ultimate Droid OTA 8.6.3 (New Base) which is obviously in the wrong place - so you don't have to click it.
I hope this does not seem off-topic, but I am looking for ANY kind of help I can get right now. I have been researching different sites telling how to root phone to upgrade to 2.1 and I decided to go with

Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms

The original post explained how to do everything and a lot of other people seem to have no trouble doing this. What I linked was the current last post by PetRiLJoe , and the trouble I am having. I can no longer see anything but the Motorola Logo but I can access SPRecover and I attempted to wipe cache, data, and update.zip / sd card update zip. I also went into Nandroid and repeated all that wiping before I attempted to Restore my pre-install backup copy that was created right before I attempted this root process. Everything I attempt ends up in me rebooting and still seeing this Motorola logo.

The install instructions for this site list Nandroid + ROM Manager... but I do not know how to simply use JUST Nandroid or JUST SPRecover to try to get this to load on my Droid. I am not new to computers, and I can generally do things myself, but I may have jumped into the Droid thing too fast without researching everything. I followed the steps exactly on that site and on the very last step at the reboot process, when everything seemed to be going well, this happened and now I'm stuck on the Moto logo.

Can I just rename this file to update.zip instead of the update.zip file that obviously did not help me fix my problem then load it and see if it works? Is that a safe thing to do?

If I get absolutely nothing else done, I just want my Droid working again past this Moto logo. I am interested in modding it past the 2.0.1 original state but at this moment in time I am more interested in getting it working again, so any and ALL help is appreciated. I was simply hoping this update / install could help me and it seems to be a pretty active community here.

*EDIT start*
At this moment I have my Droid connected to my computer, with SD card mounted using SPRecover, hoping I can copy over some files or update to fix this Droid and use SPRecover or Nandroid to do it.
*EDIT end*

If the link I posted does not work here is the text containing my reply, to which I have not gotten any replys yet.

I have followed these steps exactly from the OP and on step 35 (I think the last step where it reboots and is supposed to startup rooted) my Droid rebooted but never got past the Motorola logo.

I have (or had) a 2.01 Verizon Droid using this guide attempting to do this. I flashed the ROM and got a 70+ MB download .. did everything as the guide stated. For any more information on the matter post a reply asking me and I'll try to get back to you on it. I don't know what to do from here. I took the battery out and put it back in, still stuck.

I am editing this post to write that I can access SPRecover, I did so by holding X during bootup after taking the battery out and putting it back in. I'm not sure how to use this to recover my device but it did supposedly make a Nandroid backup before all this happened, as I was on the last step when all this happened. Can I recover from that using SPRecover? I am searching this forum and Google but can not find the right steps for help based on my current problem.

Editing this post again to state that I navigated through SPRecover to simple Nandroid restore (latest) and I am still stuck at the Motorola Logo. Any support or advice on this matter would be appreciated...
I'm sure a lot of people quit reading a long time ago, but if you're still interested in helping me by now, it is very much appreciated! Willing to PM , Call, or Skype/VoIP someone if it helps.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First off I want to thank jstafford1 for all the help he could provide for me at the time.

But I caught him at a bad time so I'm asking for more help. I will copy my original post and link it here. I don't mean to annoy anyone here but I sure could use the help!

I realize this is a lot to read, but I don't want to leave any information out. There really is no reason to click any links except the *Important first link* because it is the one where jstafford1 attempted to help me, and none of the other threads produced any replies including the original one where I asked for help on a separate forum. I replied to a thread "HelpASAP Broke new phone" because the situation is similar but am now creating a new thread as directed, and hopefully will gain some extra help as the original problem in that thread was apparently solved by the OP.

LINK TO POST HERE : HelpASAP Broke new phone *Important first link*
I am really hoping someone here can assist me as I don't want to post a new topic for something that is such a similar situation.
I posted my reply in a place that is probably not appropriate but I thought it was at the time. If anyone here could give this a read, I am having the stuck Motorola Logo issue and I can't get Nandroid to fix it.

I really hope I can get this up and running again soon..... I've been up all night and yesterday attempting to fix this with no luck at all.

Link to the post I am referring to - Ultimate Droid OTA 8.6.3 (New Base) Faster, Lots of Fixes, and Themeable Framework
Quoate of - Ultimate Droid OTA 8.6.3 (New Base) which is obviously in the wrong place - so you don't have to click it.
I hope this does not seem off-topic, but I am looking for ANY kind of help I can get right now. I have been researching different sites telling how to root phone to upgrade to 2.1 and I decided to go with

Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms

The original post explained how to do everything and a lot of other people seem to have no trouble doing this. What I linked was the current last post by PetRiLJoe , and the trouble I am having. I can no longer see anything but the Motorola Logo but I can access SPRecover and I attempted to wipe cache, data, and update.zip / sd card update zip. I also went into Nandroid and repeated all that wiping before I attempted to Restore my pre-install backup copy that was created right before I attempted this root process. Everything I attempt ends up in me rebooting and still seeing this Motorola logo.

The install instructions for this site list Nandroid + ROM Manager... but I do not know how to simply use JUST Nandroid or JUST SPRecover to try to get this to load on my Droid. I am not new to computers, and I can generally do things myself, but I may have jumped into the Droid thing too fast without researching everything. I followed the steps exactly on that site and on the very last step at the reboot process, when everything seemed to be going well, this happened and now I'm stuck on the Moto logo.

Can I just rename this file to update.zip instead of the update.zip file that obviously did not help me fix my problem then load it and see if it works? Is that a safe thing to do?

If I get absolutely nothing else done, I just want my Droid working again past this Moto logo. I am interested in modding it past the 2.0.1 original state but at this moment in time I am more interested in getting it working again, so any and ALL help is appreciated. I was simply hoping this update / install could help me and it seems to be a pretty active community here.

*EDIT start*
At this moment I have my Droid connected to my computer, with SD card mounted using SPRecover, hoping I can copy over some files or update to fix this Droid and use SPRecover or Nandroid to do it.
*EDIT end*

If the link I posted does not work here is the text containing my reply, to which I have not gotten any replys yet.

I have followed these steps exactly from the OP and on step 35 (I think the last step where it reboots and is supposed to startup rooted) my Droid rebooted but never got past the Motorola logo.

I have (or had) a 2.01 Verizon Droid using this guide attempting to do this. I flashed the ROM and got a 70+ MB download .. did everything as the guide stated. For any more information on the matter post a reply asking me and I'll try to get back to you on it. I don't know what to do from here. I took the battery out and put it back in, still stuck.

I am editing this post to write that I can access SPRecover, I did so by holding X during bootup after taking the battery out and putting it back in. I'm not sure how to use this to recover my device but it did supposedly make a Nandroid backup before all this happened, as I was on the last step when all this happened. Can I recover from that using SPRecover? I am searching this forum and Google but can not find the right steps for help based on my current problem.

Editing this post again to state that I navigated through SPRecover to simple Nandroid restore (latest) and I am still stuck at the Motorola Logo. Any support or advice on this matter would be appreciated...
I'm sure a lot of people quit reading a long time ago, but if you're still interested in helping me by now, it is very much appreciated! Willing to PM , Call, or Skype/VoIP someone if it helps.

Our Rescue squad will help you. Just be patient, it's early Sunday morning. And don't worry your phone is not bricked so long as you can turn it on they can get if fixed for you.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I believe jstafford1 is correct in my phone being dead, because otherwise it is damaged. I took my phone off the charger to follow his steps, wipe cache, wipe data, then load my preinstall data (that was working before I started this mess) and when I hit the power button two or three times to get back to the main menu and reboot, it turned itself off and never came back on. Nothing would turn the phone back on without taking the battery out and putting it back in, at which point the Moto logo came back and never went past that. But I feel like it's not even charging, only on a constant power while it's plugged in, because the white LED by the plug will not light up anymore. Only for a breif half second when it was first plugged in before the screen came on.

Just some additional info I wanted to add. It's plugged in hopefully "charging" at the moment and I'm not fooling with it until I get some help.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to read the history in the other thread and in this one. First, I agree with Hook, I do not believe your phone is bricked. At this point, if I understand correctly, your battery has not yet completely changed. Is that correct? How long has it been connected to the charger? If it won't change VZW should replace without any cost so keep that option. Will get back in a few.

Mike

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Not 100% sure what you mean by my battery isn't changed, but if you meant charged I can't tell you that. I can't tell if it's charged I am only assuming it's completely discharged because it failed to turn on by holding the power button when I took the battery out. The screen only came on again after a direct connection to the wall outlet. My test with taking the battery out and putting it back in to see if it would reset it and let the light come on again when plugged in failed. Others might have had luck with that in other forums but I did not. I am still gonna keep trying to let it charge... for another few hours if it takes.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you can access SPRecovery and you have a backup. Can you wipe data and cache?

Try this also--If you feel that your battery is not completely changed leave it connected to the wall charger and USB into the phone.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
So you can access SPRecovery and you have a backup. Can you wipe data and cache?

Try this also--If you feel that your battery is not completely changed leave it connected to the wall charger and USB into the phone.

Yes I can access both, but the only backup is the Nandroid backup called preinstall with some numbers in the suffix. This was created before the root process took place. The root process failed on the last step (step 35) of the link I posted from the guide I'm using. I was supposed to reboot then go look for super permissions or something, but it never booted. I think low battery was the cause of my issue, and am still hoping that is the least of it.

After much reading I have decided I don't have a lot of options except for wait and see if and when the battery does charge. It has all of those symptoms so yes, I am leaving it connected to the wall charger with USB into the phone. After researching the matter, *most* computers don't put out enough power through USB to charge the phone, and the wall charger that came with the phone is the only reliable unit to use. I have read about the other chargers that did not come with the phone and their issues, but I don't own one.

I have connected my phone to my car charger two or three times to charge it, but it is a Verizon branded charger and I hope that doesn't have any issues although I have not researched that yet.

Gonna keep it charging and keep you guys updated as to whether the wall charger gets any juice into my phone.

As noted before I did successfully take it off the charger previously, and although I don't have any battery notification in SPRecovery, I was able to clear cache, wipe data, and go to advanced Nandroid backup and select my one and only "preinstallxxxx(numbers)xxx) auto named backup file, and check all items. It went through the restore process and said everything was done. I proceeded to use power button two or three times to get back to the main menu and reboot the phone using the top option, which reboots the phone. The phone never made it past the logo so I put it back on charge hoping it would light up, and it hasn't yet.

**EDIT**
After a lot of Google searching, I found that there are certain battery issues caused by different things. Some people have an issue that others think is related to the battery where it boots, loads past the red Droid eye symbol, and reads "Droid" on the screen, then it proceeds to reboot and repeat the process. I would call this a "boot loop". Not everyone with a dead battery has the "boot loop" people here seem to be describing. Infact I think it should be called something else, a "boot stuck" in my case, but certainly not a loop. Nothing here is being looped.

After following a suggestion on this site , specifically that post I linked to, I discovered that alternating the charger between my desktop computer and my wall charger did in fact cause the LED light by the charger port to come back on. Leaving it on charge when the light is not on may not be the best suggestion as it is probably not charging, but it is a start!

HELP! Stuck at Motorola Logo!!

I'm going to quote this just in case the site goes down for some reason:
Re: HELP! Stuck at Motorola Logo!!
jrodizzkool01
I FIXED IT! Had to remove and reset the battery a bunch of times and connect my phone from the computer to the charger and back again but i managed to get it working. Luckily it wasnt bricked but a word to the wise of fellow Droid owners, make sure that you can connect your phone to a charger RIGHT AWAY if you get the <5% battery notification
I appreciate DroidForums.net / Rescue Squads continued support as my issue is not solved yet! I'll keep this updated as soon as it gets fixed so maybe the thread can help others.

Last edited:

bizfox

Reaction score
I sent you a PM. I went through the same thing, but I was able to re-flash my Droid back to stock via the .sbf method. If you want to go back to your fave rom or try out new ones, just check my PM for further solutions.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Would it be possible for me to load a Nandroid backup that isn't mine?

My "preinstall" backup may have become corrupt at some point, which would cause issues with booting IMO.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
there is an OEM ROM floating somewhere, I may have it copied if you PM me your email addy, it can't hurt to try. Or search for OEM Virgin ROM or something of the likes to try and find it.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
there is an OEM ROM floating somewhere, I may have it copied if you PM me your email addy, it can't hurt to try. Or search for OEM Virgin ROM or something of the likes to try and find it.

Hey thanks for the reply man. I discovered just recently that I have been reading my phone in SBRecovery mode for way too long.. so I made the mistake of pressing "LEFT" arrow for "UP" arrow! I can load BootLoader and I am "GOOD" or "OKAY" on battery (forgot, I turned it off already so I could charge the battery more anyway, since I'm still worried about it.)

So since I attempted reloading my Nandroid backup using the proper steps once again, and I am still stuck at the Moto logo, I believe I am going to attempt this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/24707-unroot-unbrick-your-phone-using-sbf.html

I'm sure it's NOT what I have to do. I can access this BootLoader (first time though....) and I can access the SPRecovery with X+Power. I would like to get Android loaded so I can keep my applications, but since I do NOT know how to do this, I suppose I will move onward with the .SBF because I really need my phone working a little more immediately and my research isn't doing me any good. After some google searches I found that I may not be able to use someone elses copy of Nandroid backup because of serial or ESN numbers.. but I could be wrong about that.

Suggestions before I move forward?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hi :D this exact same thing happened to me yesterday. after hours and hours of hell what i ended up doing was mounting in recovery and installing an update.zip that puts bugless beast on my phone. it worked great :D i then reflashed the UD rom and everything is wonderful. hope this helps!!

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/ESE53/V0.9/update.zip

natediddy is the man!!!

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Wow odd timing since I was about to do this flash.. haha.

Can you provide any other instructions in addition to the update.zip ? I don't need to back up using Nandroid with that update do I ? Because that is not working for me.. But I'm sure you already read that.