HELP! 2.2 Clockwork Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by JonTX311, Jul 21, 2010.

1. JonTX311

JonTX311 New Member

Hey guys I installed 2.2 today, eveything was working fine.. using the droid-life instructions. Well I had SPreovery install with nandroid backup, i ended up downloading ROM manager to install and ROM and its totally jacked me up, i am stuck on the motorola screen. If i can get a SPrecover i can do a nandroid recovery, i have it on my SD card but its saying in clockworkmod recovery that there are no nandroid recoveries.

i've tried doing wipe/data and factory reset and it doesnt work :(
  2. JonTX311

JonTX311 New Member

I try to reinstall the sapphire 2.2 file and it says Wlecome to Sapphire 0.7.0 Droid, assert fail: !less than_int
    error in /sdcard/update.zip status 7 installatoin aborted.
  3. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

As far as I can tell, the nandroid backups you make in Sprecovery wont work in clockwork recovery.

From what I understand, there is some issue installing Sapphire using the latest version of clockwork. You didn't happen to make a backup using Rom manager did you? That would be the easiest way to get back into a working condition.

I'm pretty new to all this but the only thing I can think of is using RSD/ and an .sbf file to get back to a 2.1 with Sprecovery, then you can flash your nandroid backup through that, or rename your sapphire zip to update.zip and install it using sprecovery
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I'm unclear so let me see this is the status of your phone

1. You installed a 2.2 rom
    2. You had SPRecovery flashed and made a backup
    3. You downloaded RM
    4. You used RM to download and install a rom
    5. Now you're stuck in a boot loop
    6. You want to boot into SPRecovery
    7. Clockwork says there are no nandroid recoveries.

Is the above correct?

Lets go in reverse order.

Clockwork will not look in your Nandroid folder for backups. Backups created with Clockwork are stored on your SD card in a folder named clcokworkmod.

In the last sentence of you post you indicate that Clockwork recovery is indicating. What I'm unclear on is how you are getting to Clockwork while stuck in a boot loop.

Since you made a backup with SPR you need to boot into SPRecovery. Power off, pull your battery and wait for a minute before reinserting. Try to power on by opening your slider and pressing your "X" key and power at the same time.

Let us know if you are successful

Mike
  5. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

If he has clockwork recovery installed on the phone how can he boot into Sprecovery with out flashing it first? Am I missing something?
  6. mwhartman

I reacted to this sentence in the OP
    "Hey guys I installed 2.2 today, eveything was working fine.. using the droid-life instructions. Well I had SPreovery install with nandroid backup"

If he had flashed it is still there, unless he deleted it!
  7. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I think the issue is that his phone wont boot but he can get into Clockwork Recovery, but since it does not see his nandroid files from Sprecovery, he can't recover to a working phone.

I think we need to get him from Clockwork back to Sprecovery...

I guess we wait until he posts again to find out for sure.
  8. mwhartman

That is what I'm trying to clarify and assess so I apologize if I did a poor job of asking the status of his phone.

I may be wrong but I believe that the first time you flash CW and do anything with it it automatically makes a backup. Hopefully that is the case.

If he is unable to boot into SPR but able to boot into Clockwork then he should be able to restore that initial backup. If, however, I'm incorrect and there are no backups in the clockworkmod file I believe the next may be to use SBF and start over.

We do need to wait for the OP to reply.

Mike
  9. JonTX311

JonTX311 New Member

that is correct i am in boot looop.

when i hold X and power it goes into clockwork recovery.

i didnt create an RM backup :(
  10. mwhartman

Thanks for the clarification. I use SPR not CW so my reply and question may be off center.

So you used CW to look at our clockworkmod file and there are no backups in that folder?

Mike
  11. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I don't remember CW making an automatic backup the first time, pretty sure you have to manually tell it to make a backup, both in recovery and in Rom Manager.
  12. mwhartman

Yes the OP confirmed I was wrong. Sorry for the misstatement.
  13. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

Here is what I would try. (though do so at your own risk as I am a noob tinkerer, maybe someone else can come along and verify this?)

Download a different rom on your computer. (Stock froyo, Kangerade, Chevy SS, whatever, just not Sapphire - yet)
    Plug the phone into USB on your computer and boot into CW Recovery
    Once in CW Recovery choose Partitions Menu, then choose mount USB storage

At this point your computer should recognize the sd card on your phone as a storage device, copy the new rom you downloaded to it.

Eject, Unmount the card then back up to the main CWR menu
    In CWR choose install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard again on the next menu
    Find the new rom you copied to the sdcard and flash that.

Now you should be able to get the phone to boot into the rom. Hit the market and download rom manager again.

From here you have some options:
    - you can use rom manager to flash sprecovery and use your original nandroid backups
    - or you can use rom manager to flash an older version of clockwork recovery and try the Sapphire install again

Eitherway, once you get a working rom installed I'd use Rom manager to make a backup of that before you proceed with either of the two options.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  14. mwhartman

As I mentioned earlier, I do not use RM/CW so I was not aware of the "Partitions" option nor do I know what functionality it provides. That said, I think your suggestions seem sound, JP. Especially your last sentence.

OP, please let us know how this goes.

Mike
  15. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I was unaware of this partitions option until I started messing around with it right now.. lol dancedroid
  16. mwhartman

Good we both learned something :icon_ peace:
  17. JonTX311

JonTX311 New Member

Hey guys, I finally fixed it, I used RDSlite and flashe2.1, which installed RS recovery, and was able to execute update.zip from SD card which was the sapphire 2.2. Everything booted up sucessfully and nothing was lost, which was weird since I did factory reset/wipe data, i guess the ROM jacked up everything. I made a backup with Nandroid and won't be jacking around with Rom Manager anymore! Thank god for RDS Lite...

All I want is the black status bar up top like my wifes HTC. I have tried three or four different files and had to reinstall 2.2 every time because it jacks up the boot. If anyone has clear instructions on how to install the black status bar on a Droid 1, rooted running Froyo 2.2 please share.

thanks guys :)

My Droid X will be here August 4th, it was delayed :(
  18. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

Glad you got it working.

Just an FYI, you got stuck because there is a conflict with the latest Sapphire and the latest version of Clockworkmod Recovery. Older versions of CWR itself dont throw the same sapphire error.

If you paid for rom manager, continue giving it a try if you decide to try out other roms in the future. Its a really good tool for people new to root/roms, IMO.
Search tags for this page

clockworkmod recovery 2.2.2

droid 2 clockwork recovery