New phone, first attempt at rooting failed. Need more help.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Open your app drawer, if you see the Ninja icon, you probably have SU permission. Or just try running SetCPU, it needs root to run.

As far as 3G, check your wireless networks settings for data, it may be disabled or something silly. Glad you got up to this point though. :)

I got the 3G information from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/33202-3g-outage.html

I think it's down on in my local area network.

I enabled WiFi to get onto Market and browser and stuff temporarily. Unfortunately I do not have my account setup to purchase stuff from the Market yet. I read that you had to set it up through Google check out somewhere and I simply never took the time to set it up! It shouldn't be that hard should it? Seems SetCPU for Root Users is a $0.99 application, unless it is provided somewhere else. :p

DroidxRage

Reaction score
Ahhh, yes an outage would explain it too. :)

Yeah, you'd need to buy it... but it's really a must for overclocking as it lets you set the clock speeds. Well worth $1.

And yes, you just need to sign into a google account to get into the market, then link it to a credit card to make purchases.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Ahhh, yes an outage would explain it too. :)

Yeah, you'd need to buy it... but it's really a must for overclocking as it lets you set the clock speeds. Well worth $1.

And yes, you just need to sign into a google account to get into the market, then link it to a credit card to make purchases.

Oh I'm sure it's worth it! I prefer applications I am allowed to try before I buy, but that's okay. I'll just have to set up my account more quickly now. I'll go look for it now actually!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, you actually don't need to buy it. If you go over to forum.xda-developers.com and go under G1 applications, you'll find the developer offering it for free right there.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would think that would be doable. I know there are several sites that allow one to upload a file and other to download it. Not exactly how to enroll etc. However, this seems like a candidate for Google's new Wave.

If there is a member already invited and participating in Wave would you please send PerRilLJoe and me an invite to join Wave.

Mike

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would think that would be doable. I know there are several sites that allow one to upload a file and other to download it. Not exactly how to enroll etc. However, this seems like a candidate for Google's new Wave.

If there is a member already invited and participating in Wave would you please send PerRilLJoe and me an invite to join Wave.

Mike

I can this afternoon, if it can wait til then. If not, I'm sure someone will see this and send you an invite anyway. If you still need one look for me to be sending you guys an invite around 3pm. I'm at school and I just got out of my only class with a computer.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score

Mike

That would be great I am interested in Wave!

Sounds easier than getting a Google Voice invite too =/ lol

I'll probably look like a noob saying this but, Titanium Backup is requiring BusyBox installed to use, does DM 1.0 install that normally? I'm thinking if it does, then something went wrong with my installation and maybe I should start over and make sure everything is there?

I would like to use this app (Titanium Backup) to backup apps before I upgrade to 2.1, and after I am at 2.1 so I can restore the same apps as I know a data wipe is required if going from 2.1 to another 2.1 ROM.

Last edited:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

That would be great I am interested in Wave!

Sounds easier than getting a Google Voice invite too =/ lol

I'll probably look like a noob saying this but, Titanium Backup is requiring BusyBox installed to use, does DM 1.0 install that normally? I'm thinking if it does, then something went wrong with my installation and maybe I should start over and make sure everything is there?

I would like to use this app (Titanium Backup) to backup apps before I upgrade to 2.1cl, and after I am at 2.1 so I can restore the same apps as I know a data wipe is required if going from 2.1 to another 2.1 ROM.

Click on problems?, and do what it says. I also recommend getting the donate version, because it makes restoring apps so easy.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Clicked on problems and it has an option for auto upgrade for BusyBox.

Problems in Titanium Backup are often caused by malfunctioning busybox executables. This will download and install a good version of busybox, which also supports LZO compression About 2MB will be downloaded to Titanium BAckup's data. Your system will *not* be modified. "yes , do it " and "cancel "

I think I would prefer to fix my current BusyBox or reinstall it, right?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clicked on problems and it has an option for auto upgrade for BusyBox.

Problems in Titanium Backup are often caused by malfunctioning busybox executables. This will download and install a good version of busybox, which also supports LZO compression About 2MB will be downloaded to Titanium BAckup's data. Your system will *not* be modified. "yes , do it " and "cancel "

I think I would prefer to fix my current BusyBox or reinstall it, right?

Click yes, do out. that should fix it.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
PetRiLJoe I am glad to see you up and running!! I knew you'd get this resolved. Thanks guys!!

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
PetRiLJoe I am glad to see you up and running!! I knew you'd get this resolved. Thanks guys!!

Thanks a lot!

In reply to clicking yes, installed it and it is loading fine. But when I loaded Titanium Backup the before this BusyBox update said I didn't have root access. Then reloaded and apparently I did. I am afraid my permissions are not set up right? Why does it not have access one time and have it the other? I have already allowed this application root access.

I Feel like I am having more troubles than other people, or maybe I am just "looking into" this as a problem when really it's not. But after my initial troubles of the stuck Moto logo I'm taking all precautoins...

Backing up all my applications right now with Titanium Backup. Since I got everything working the way it is, before I reinstall I'm going to make a Nandroid backup since I think my issue could have been the original automated backup was corrupt.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Thanks a lot!

In reply to clicking yes, installed it and it is loading fine. But when I loaded Titanium Backup the before this BusyBox update said I didn't have root access. Then reloaded and apparently I did. I am afraid my permissions are not set up right? Why does it not have access one time and have it the other? I have already allowed this application root access.

I Feel like I am having more troubles than other people, or maybe I am just "looking into" this as a problem when really it's not. But after my initial troubles of the stuck Moto logo I'm taking all precautoins...

Backing up all my applications right now with Titanium Backup. Since I got everything working the way it is, before I reinstall I'm going to make a Nandroid backup since I think my issue could have been the original automated backup was corrupt.

I wouldn't read too much into the permissions thing. Busybox is a set of cammands that some apps need to work, like metamorph, titanium backup etc. Because busybox wasn't working right could have not gotten permisions correctly. And after update it can function properly.

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into the permissions thing. Busybox is a set of cammands that some apps need to work, like metamorph, titanium backup etc. Because busybox wasn't working right could have not gotten permisions correctly. And after update it can function properly.

I had no problem running Titanium Backup but I had to walk away from it because it was taking a very long time. After the update it apparently works. Every other program that requires BusyBox says it's not installed . What's the safest method of putting it on there? I think I should back up with Titanium Backup (and Nandroid) and repeat the rooting process using another method.

I know it was supposed to have installed SU but everytime I load DM Updater after a phone restart, I have to give DM Updater permissions again by accepting the SU permissions. This does not seem normal, but if it is, let me know. Also lately I have opened DM Updater and had it force close for some reason. I think it's after I click "Latest ROM " button below "update available"

This is probably a lot of mixed information, so if anyone can just give a little information or advice on whether this is a good reason to flash it back to before I rooted it and try again, it would be appreciated.

On another note I just loaded DM Updater (without restarting

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I had no problem running Titanium Backup but I had to walk away from it because it was taking a very long time. After the update it apparently works. Every other program that requires BusyBox says it's not installed . What's the safest method of putting it on there? I think I should back up with Titanium Backup (and Nandroid) and repeat the rooting process using another method.

I know it was supposed to have installed SU but everytime I load DM Updater after a phone restart, I have to give DM Updater permissions again by accepting the SU permissions. This does not seem normal, but if it is, let me know. Also lately I have opened DM Updater and had it force close for some reason. I think it's after I click "Latest ROM " button below "update available"

This is probably a lot of mixed information, so if anyone can just give a little information or advice on whether this is a good reason to flash it back to before I rooted it and try again, it would be appreciated.

On another note I just loaded DM Updater (without restarting

Are you checking "remember" when its asking for permisions?