New Motorola Android Phone Coming to the US

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
This is certainly a nice phone. Don't feel bad about some new phone being better than what you have. There is ALWAYS going to be a better phone release a few months after you buy the best current phone.

You just have to learn to live with it, suck it up, and hold out until your contract is up so you can get another discount.

Besides, I don't think this is coming to Verizon.

To those who say the physical keyboard isn't important, there are still situations where I find the physical keyboard exceptionally useful. Mostly for games, or applications that use the whole screen (and messaging apps).

For example, try playing "Project I.N.F." which is an online MMO shooter free on the market. Using the on-screen keyboard forces you to use all your screen to type a message. Someone could have killed you by the time you finish and view the game screen again. The Directional pad works wonders for those 2D side scrolling shooters. I can't imagine trying to use some on screen buttons for that.

How about that "Mystic" 3D game? I don't think it even has any on-screen controls at all for moving/walking.

Another use is for comfort. I can pull the physical keyboard out and use it to hold my phone while watching a youtube video. This also helps prevent me from touching those sensitive home, search, menu and back buttons by accident (That lip on the bottom of the phone when in portrait view helps give you something to grab without touching these buttons also).

In-fact, the only real issue with the keyboard is the fact that it is not centered evenly from both sides (right side is off-placed by that directional pad). Other than that, it works pretty decent, and with moderate hands-on time you do get use to it. If you resort to using the on-screen keyboard most of the time you will never get use to the physical one, though.

So don't push the keyboard off as useless. Even though its not perfect, there are times when it is an ideal input option that I can choose to use or not, when I want.

What I would like to see is the Glyde's compact keyboard (which worked fine with my skinny fingers) along with 2 flat+round thumb/joy-sticks (Something like the PSP's 1 joystick). One located on each side of the keyboard, to keep the keyboard centered and feel natural.

But anyway, I'm probably always going to stick to whatever phone is the best out that also includes a physical keyboard.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Apparently there is no edit button for my post?

I wanted to add an example of the messaging aspect. Try writing a message in landscape while using a chat app like eBuddy, Meebo, Nimbuzz etc... When in landscape you can't read the conversation. That is annoying if using any instant messaging application since your basically blind every time you start typing. This reason alone is enough to use the physical keyboard sometimes, even if your not particularly fast/good with it.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, on the MotoSPLiT I have to slide 50% of the keyboard from one side of the phone, and pull the other 50% of the keyboard on the opposite side of the phone?

You have got to be joking, right? Do I really need to explain how horrible that idea is? What if a key I usually reach with my right hand is located on the left part of the keyboard? I don't even want to think about that.

That phone just sucks, sorry...but it does...

NVash

Reaction score
Wow. Seriously? Are they kidding? What kind of idea is that? That would be awesome if it was a gaming pad but they wouldnt do anyone that favor, so instead its a piece of junk keyboard? Ive lost interest.

Reaction score
I don't know if that is it or not I googled that conversation here,and the name and that is what came up...? I don't like it either, it looks way long...awkward even??

acidbrn

Reaction score
I don't know if that is it or not I googled that conversation here,and the name and that is what came up...? I don't like it either, it looks way long...awkward even??

Ya its definitely awkward looking but I remember people saying the same about the Sidekick phones when those were first introduced. But i think it'll be interesting to see what motorola is able to do with it. If and when it ever gets released, cause to be honest it looks like nothing more than a concept phone to me.