new in town

bizEbrown

Reaction score
I just got my Motorola Droid early this week and trying to find time to figure it out. I selected this model based on my needs, reviews, and price point. Left behind my Blackberry of two years, felt somewhat limited, and wanted to stay with Verizon.
I have an online business and want to be able to utilize it more while on the go. Is there a general sight that would initially would help me navigate this phone?
Secondly, are there apps on the phone that most consider useless and should be removed? In reading reviews I saw that several people mentioned ones that can really suck your battery juices. Any suggestions?dancedroid

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do while on the go. GPS navigation or take people's credit cards live in person and do transactions through paypal?

Things like leaving GPS and WIFI detection on all the time will suck down your battery. You can toggle those off. Long Press the homescreen and go to widgets and select the Power Control widget. From the right to left they are Wifi, bluetooth, GPS, sync, screen brightness. When I am not at home and don't need GPS I turn those off. I never use bluetooth so that is always off.

And welcome to the forums here! We were out your way a few years back, it was an April. Great weather, but we never saw anything over 100 degrees either.

kristoff125

Reaction score
Fist thing I can recommend, car charger.
Welcome to the forums.
The phone eats battery, but w/o power...
Droid Does...nothing.

OP
B

bizEbrown

Reaction score
It's hot here now. Transferring info from blackberry

The heat is upon us now, but we had a great, extended spring, so can't complain.
I don't need to worry about credit cards, and might use GPS once in awhile. I did find my way to "manage applications" and did find that I had some running that should have been turned off, so got that.
So, how do I go about transferring contacts, etc from my blackberry.

And I am such a newbie that I don't even know what 'rooting' is. Is that the same as connecting to my computer?

kristoff125

Reaction score
The heat is upon us now, but we had a great, extended spring, so can't complain.
I don't need to worry about credit cards, and might use GPS once in awhile. I did find my way to "manage applications" and did find that I had some running that should have been turned off, so got that.
So, how do I go about transferring contacts, etc from my blackberry.

And I am such a newbie that I don't even know what 'rooting' is. Is that the same as connecting to my computer?

To transfer contacts go to VZW and they'll do it, rooting is basically getting admin access on a windows PC, lets you do more stuff, like overclock and eat more battery.