Needing CWM help on Razr Maxx

ElectroJoe

Reaction score
I installed CWM Recovery v5.0.2.5 and the Razr bootstrap apk. Whenever I reboot I don't see any sign of having cwm on startup. It's my understanding that I should see a clockworkmod screen on reboot. I also installed rom manager afterwards and it won't let me upgrade to the touch recovery because it says it's not available for the razr yet. I'm wondering if I ran cwmonbootremove. Zip to remove cwm recovery would it work or brick my phone. I'm very new at this and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thread moved to RAZR Hacks section.

And by on reboot do you mean literally when rebooting the phone? AFAIK there should not be a CWM screen upon normal reboott of the phone, at least there has not been on the devices I have owned.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

OP
ElectroJoe

ElectroJoe

Reaction score
Yes on reboot I don't see any indication of cwm, I've read that you should or maybe I misunderstood. I'm wanting to remove it and install the touch version

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
My apologies, I did not realize that I moved one of your threads yesterday, and, I missed your reply since I have been off and on as far as the forums are concerned today

As far as there being a CWM screen i suppose it is possible, not being familiar with the Razr limits how definitively I can answer that portion of it. I am assuming that ROM Manager is compatible with the Razr, if it is then I would suggest try using it to flash the regular CWM recovery, then once that is complete try the touch one again to see if it works.

I am not sure about the removal zip you are asking about, for that one we would need someone else to chime in.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No worries. Let me know how you make out.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_NEXUS 7

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You will need to first have installed CWM and then the Bootstrap, you need to open CWM and tell it you installed a Bootstrapper already (it will ask you which version you use).

Then you can install the touch version, and after that you can install the CWM on boot zip file. Make sure though once you install that you go into your superuser app and tell it not to give CWM on boot root access, that was expressed as a must for it to work right.

After that you should boot into recovery every time your phone boots up or you restart it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Here are instructions I used.

"[Full Install Step]
1. First, CWM Recovery install.(nitroglycerine33's RazrBootstrap.apk)
2. Attachment file(RAZR-CWMOnBoot-Global-J.Y.Daddy.zip) download and copy at SDcard.(/sdcard-ext)
3. Recovery boot using by RazrBootstrap app.
4. in recovery menu: "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard" -> select file.
5. After completed update, reboot.
6. After reboot, RazrBootstrap.apk set deny on Superuser. (Very important)
7. reboot. (is all finished)"

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thanks again Sydman!! Its tough not having the device but I was trying.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thanks again Sydman!! Its tough not having the device but I was trying.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

Oh I understand, I have been trying to help out in other areas of the forum and it can be tricky giving advice on a phone you have never seen :)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Oh I saw them before. Weren't they in the commercial everyone loved with the whiny girls at Verizon? :p

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Oh I saw them before. Weren't they in the commercial everyone loved with the whiny girls at Verizon? :p

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

He had to bring up THAT commercial :rolleyes::banghead: lol

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ahh. I see I was right in remembering everyone's "favorite" commercial :thumbup:

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

OP
ElectroJoe

ElectroJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I installed CWM and bootstrap exactly like the instructions you provided. I've tried using rom manager to upgrade cwm to the touch version but it says the upgrade isn't available for the razr. I've found this zip file update_RAZR_cwmrecovery-touchonly_J. Y. Daddy.zip_12.02.21. Shouldn't I be able to install this zip file in cwm to upgrade it.? I've been afraid to try because I bricked my old razr about a month ago. Do you use rom manager?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You have to boot into CW Recovery and install the zip from your External SD card from their menu. Kind of the same instructions of installing the CWM on Boot.