Need you opinions on school

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i have an opportunity to go back to school and have the gov't pick up the tab plus give me $1400 a month pocket money for 3 yrs, but not sure what to go to school for. i want to study something i can make decent money doing($40-$50k a yr) but i want to enjoy the work as well.
i'm retired Navy in the Supply field. i'm a Supervisor of a shipping and receiving dept in a warehouse/gov't store, but would rather do something else. i'm interested in computers and was thinking about something in medical( ie radiologist). one thing that concerns me is my age, currently 44 but by the time school is over i'll be about 47 or so. is that too old to start something new? what is a good field to study? i know technology is very big right now but what is a good job considering my age? i appreciate your responses.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that you have a golden opportunity here to pursue your dreams. Don't even think of passing this up. Be a radiologist if that's something you want to pursue. Anything in the medical field is golden. Baby Boomers are getting up there in years, I know I'm one of them. You will have a great job for the rest of your life.

I'm 57 years old, I wish the government would give me an opportunity like that. I wouldn't let my age hold me back one bit.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would be on that like a Marine on a Grenade...

That that and run with it!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think that you have a golden opportunity here to pursue your dreams. Don't even think of passing this up. Be a radiologist if that's something you want to pursue. Anything in the medical field is golden. Baby Boomers are getting up there in years, I know I'm one of them. You will have a great job for the rest of your life.

I'm 57 years old, I wish the government would give me an opportunity like that. I wouldn't let my age hold me back one bit.

I would be on that like a Marine on a Grenade...

That that and run with it!

The boys are absolutely correct. Follow your dream and don't let this opportunity get away from you. You'll live to regret it if you don't at least give it a shot. Age is not even a factor in 'happy'. Just my two cents...

allikanbe

Reaction score
Most definitely take the opportunity. 44 is young. Medical or technology? You can't go wrong with either. Just do it.

ShowTime

Reaction score
My mom is in her 50s and just recently left her job of 20+ years to go in a new direction and start fresh. No such thing as too old if it's something you really want and would make you happy. Best of luck to you.

ValkF6

Reaction score
I'm reminded of an old joke: "How old will you be in three years if you don't do the thing you want to do?"

... Tom

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A good deal knows no age. If it's something you want go for it.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my mother went back to school at 40 for a psychology degree (from being a hair stylist for 20+years) and actually enjoyed it. i think it was because she did it for herself.

on the lower end of your price range, look into teaching... you can pick any subject and teach it. you get summers off.. ;)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
First, thanks for your service. I'm a Navy vet, also and just retired from Penn State University.

You have a wonderful opportunity that you really need to take advantage of. One needs money to live but money should not be the reason one picks a particular career.
I believe that one should follow ones passion. Only you can answer "my passion is_____" Once you answer that you will know what career field to pursue.

Don't worry about your age. In fact, you can use your military experience and wisdom to be a leader and help the younger students on their journey.

Best Wishes.

Mike

samredman

Reaction score
My advice is somewhat different than you might find from others and it is based on my own real life experiences. Instead of pursuing a field that you think has the most economic opportunity, first consider this; is there any sort of work that you would like to do that you would actually be happy to perform without pay? If you can train and find employment doing that "thing," therein you will discover one of the real keys to happiness (you might make plenty of money, but on the other hand, it might not be the top salaried position... however, I can predict for you true satisfaction). Now that might be a hard concept to "get your head around," but it is a mental exercise which will be beneficial to you for the rest of your life. Whatever "that" is, train to be the very best you can be... everything else will follow.

OP
SILVER COUPE

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
thanks for all your comments, i really appreciate it. i'm leaning towards something in the medical field. i enjoy working with my hands and electronics. someone needs to work on all those electronics in the hospital right. i'm gonna check into that. hopefully i can start soon. i just didn't want to spend time and money studying a field where jobs are hard to come by. i'm lucky now cause i have 2 decent jobs that pay pretty well, but i feel like i'm in a rut and want to use this oportunity to change that. besides working 2 jobs takes it's toll on you after a while.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
i just didn't want to spend time and money studying a field where jobs are hard to come by.

Anything in the medical field and you won;t have to look far for work.

Schmidtrock

Reaction score
Hey Silver Coupe. Disabled Army here and preparing to take the same deal you're doing. 44 as well and I can't wait. Friday is my last day with Raytheon after 6 years, going to look into Computer Science with studies in IT and Programming. Good luck to ya and thanks for your service.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Technology all the way. Then specialize in Healthcare IT. I dont care if I was 70....free schooling? Man Im paying a fortune for grad school as we speak. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!