Explanation of repo, and what it means to you!

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
So I know there has been some questions and confusion lately with me and probably others in the Android community saying that the ‘repo’ is down, but most of you either have little if any understanding of what that exactly means, so here we go.

We all know Android is open source, and I’m sure most of you have at least heard of git or github or repo before, whether or not you truly knew or understood what it means. Being that Android is based on a Linux kernel, and the Linux kernel is for the most part hosted on kernel.org well I don’t know details or anything about what went down over at kernel.org but there was some kind of a security breach and they took the servers offline. You may think no big deal, well the Android source code as most of you know as AOSP, is hosted under this domain android.git.kernel.org so with kernel.org being down the Android repo went offline as well. I may be missing some details, but I’m just trying to provide some basic knowledge so for those of you who may read this and notice I left something out or something I’m sorry.
So with kernel.org being offline, that leaves any developers who primarily use AOSP as their ROM base out in the dark with the latest sync they have of the Android repo before it went down. Not a big deal as long as you have that local copy of everything you need you can still build, just can’t sync any of the new stuff they have pushed to the servers because the servers’ aren’t online. Now that’s not a huge deal for DC because we are using Froyo [Android 2.2] and it is for the most part no longer being updated. So now you’re wondering why we haven’t been ok through this and continuing to build…

So now a quick background story on why I did the next thing I’m about to tell you. Last year at my university I was doing some ‘Heavy Usage’ of the school’s ‘Internet’ and was not allowed to use it for a few days because of that, so one day when I tried to do a repo sync at the beginning of the semester I wasn’t aware of kernel.org being down, so I tried to sync and when it wasn’t working I was under the assumption that my school had taken the liberty to block android.git.kernel.org because that is the site I had ‘Heavily Used’. So I took it as an opportunity to remove my Ubuntu install and start with a fresh one, and worry about setting back up the android repo on my weekend at home.. Bad Idea.. Shortly after I had done that I realized that kernel.org was down, and all of my source was now gone… So I can pull down and edit/change any of the DC source on github.com but I cannot compile and check to make sure I have done it right or perform any testing. So because of that DC-B-13 was on hold, and is still on hold, until android.git.kernel.org is back online and running. So for that I am sorry and as soon as it is possible I will be setting up and building the ROM again, until then though I think DC-B-12 kicks some serious but cheeks.. [can I say that?]

Now last question may be why can CyanogenMod still make a ROM, well as you know CyanogenMod is HEAVILY modified from AOSP and thus pulls minimal repositories actually from android.git.kernel.org, and because when kernel.org and android.git.kernel.org went down they did not delete their local storage of the repos.. So any developer that has his/her local sync of AOSP is fine currently, but if you’re like me and you deleted it your out of luck until its back online..
Feel free to ask any further questions I did what I could on the 15 minute break I took, so I’m sure I may have messed up a few times..

http://android.git.kernel.org/

The Linux Kernel Archives

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Kernel.org is back up, but nothing is there. I even tried to download linux kernel 3.04 the newest stable kernel and its source and all other sources are still not up. The message board for android builds there has been posts saying that the google android AOSP "team" is dilagantly working on getting all source code back up and ready. But as of this morning still nothing.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Saw the announcement that it was back up the other day , Kernel 3.0 is just a naming change so Linus stated .

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Ya I'm working on it between working a heavy work schedule and family stuff.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mjones73

Reaction score
Cool, glad to see this road block is out of the way at least. :)

Thanks for the hard work on DC.