need help updating my OS on an original Droid

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to root the phone for busybox and titanium to work. Download the Droid 3 One Click Root and follow the setup instructions, run the program. Then run busybox, then Titanium Backup.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I can not find Droid 3 One Click Root in the app store....

Also, when my phone rings... I now can not answer the phone??? The caller id screan no longer pops up?

Also, where is the bar at the top of the phone that tells you that you have emails/need updates, have voice mail etc.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh hey,I have to go to work but I'll be back on here in the morning. I pop in and out at night but not long enough to be of much help right now. At this point, I would suggest going back into recovery and reinstall the rom.

sent from my liberated bionic using tapatalk

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I have reinstalled the zip file...everything looks the same. I can make out going calls and send/receive text messages....but can not answer the phone. It rings but the screen that pops up to give you caller id and to answer does not show up.

Honestly, this concerns me more so than the fact I can not get the backup to reinstall.

The entire data line at the top of the phone is gone so I can not tell battery strength, signal strenght, if I am using 3G, if I have emails or voice mail messages.

Sigh! My phone is not a brick but its not exactly a phone anymore :(

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't fret, usually issues like the phone not answering is due to lack of memory in our old droids. Gingerbread (2.3.5) was just not designed for the Droid (exactly why the official updates only went to 2.2.2)
2 things to try
1 try another rom (you might like a more non stock feel anyway) I'd suggest liquid 3.0 (mainly stock but with lots of little extra settings you can play with later) or for a truly unique experience try miui roms (the newest version is always stickied) or Droid concepts for another stock type setup
2 download the latest v6 supercharger here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15948434&postcount=1127 download script manager from the market. Open script manager and select advanced options, the config and uncheck the enable extra gestures box. Then hit back until you see the list of folders on your sdcard, look in the download folder for the v6 supercharger. Long press it and rename it exactly this: v6supercharger.sh
Save it, then back out of the menu, and just short press on the v6 supercharger. Check the run as root box then hit run and follow the instructions. Best bet is probably option 3.
Don't worry its easier than it sounds

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I just checked my memory SD Card total space 14.83GB Available 13.23 GB and internal storage available 154MB... am I low? the SD card looks fine but not sure about internal storage. I thought the gingerbread I downloaded would work on the old original droid? The phone is so much faster in all ways but not having the bar across the top giving me the status and of course not being able to answer the phone is a real problem.

If I do not have enough space, where do I get this liquid 3.0?

Sorry, just a Mom here feeling a bit over whelmed. I had hoped it would not have been so challenging.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just checked my memory SD Card total space 14.83GB Available 13.23 GB and internal storage available 154MB... am I low? the SD card looks fine but not sure about internal storage.

You should be fine there. It sounds to me like you're better off starting over. Read the first 2 posts in this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=827496 thread and give it a shot.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
Just so I understand, I am taking my phone off gingerbread and returning it to stock?

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just so I understand, I am taking my phone off gingerbread and returning it to stock?

Yes, it will. I think something's going on with your phone that I just don't understand. At this point, it's probably best to start from scratch and then reroot and reflash a rom if you want gingerbread

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just checked my memory SD Card total space 14.83GB Available 13.23 GB and internal storage available 154MB... am I low? the SD card looks fine but not sure about internal storage. I thought the gingerbread I downloaded would work on the old original droid? The phone is so much faster in all ways but not having the bar across the top giving me the status and of course not being able to answer the phone is a real problem.

If I do not have enough space, where do I get this liquid 3.0?

Sorry, just a Mom here feeling a bit over whelmed. I had hoped it would not have been so challenging.

i meant the ram memory, you usually cant see that anywhere unless you have an app to show it. its the memory used to actually run everything. youre talking about the memory to store data. gingerbread will work on the droid, all the gingerbread roms have been adapted for it, google/verizon didnt want to put in the tons of effort to officially do it though lol. also the status bar is a problem, because it is always supposed to be there, the rom must not have installed entirely right...it is kinda confusing at first but it does get easier and is very well worth it...just look in these forums under custom roms for more options...most current ones are in the following forums- bugless, liquid, Team D1-MIUI, ChevyNo1, Project Elite, and steel droid

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
OK, back in the office to work further on the phone. I have plugged it into computer. Previously my windows 7 system recognized the phone and had downloaded the driver automatically. Now it does not recognize the phone at all. I went into the control pannel and can see the phone attached, I asked windows to seek a driver for it and it could now find one. Now what?

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I downloaded that driver, installed it (went fine) but when you go into Computer (Windows 7) you do not see the phone like I did previously. When I go into the control panel I don't see it either. It used to pop up as device unknown but now that the driver is installed... it doesnt show up. The device does show up on control panel - devices and printers but I can not open and see the files? I tried to right click and tried to browse files but it give me the device name in light grey showing you can not click on it. The device manager says it is working properly??

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try rebooting your computer. If that doesn't work, uninstall all Motorola drivers, reboot, and reinstall again. I had similar issues when I had my og as well and that's what I did.