need help updating my OS on an original Droid

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
NEED HELP WITH #5
5. put the Rom in the root of your sdcard. Rename it update.zip (the update.zip name depends on the Recovery version, as this should be compatible with old and new versions of Recovery software).

I have downloaded the file, renamed it as suggested and my phone is attached to the computer. Where is the root of my sdcard. do I just add it to my sdcard or do I add it to a one of the files on the sdcard like "android"

Root is on the SD card without any directories. So you should be fine with just adding it to your SD card.

sent from my liberated bionic using transparent Droid forums

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
RAN INTO PROBLEM>>> with
6. Wipe your phone using the option in Recovery 3 times. You would wipe both data and system. Make sure you are not in any options to wipe or format your sdcard. These are two different options!!!!

When I did the wipe, there was only one option to do the wipe, which I did and when I was reading the data posted in the Recovery program... I realized it reformatted my sdcard. I have turned the phone on and it is taking me through the auto set up for the first time user of the phone. Do I now go back to step 5, and move that update.zip file back ot my computer? I have the apps other than the ones that automatically come on the droid, the version is 2.2 and the extra aps are: superuser and spare parts.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, you should be fine, just go through the setup process. There are options in recovery to wipe cache, but actually, wiping data normally wipes your cache as well. As far as your SD card goes, your files should still be on there unless you went into the menu setting that wipes your SD card.

sent from my liberated bionic using transparent Droid forums

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you! I've got a rooted DroidX and have made the mistake of downloading the latest upgrade (Gingerbread), which takes a long time, it, of course, gives me the error message. This gets kind'f annoying when it tries to install every 2 hours. I've just tried something after reading another thread, install Bloat Freezer(free) and freeze the Updater. I did that, and if I don't get the message to update, it will be a success. I'll report back tomorrow with the results. If it is successful, you could try it on your phone. BTW - BayouFlyFisher's advice in a couple of posts up works!

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
ok, I have version 2.3.5 yippee! Now I need to do the steps where I reload everything... the phone is already faster. and looks a LOT different due to the updated software. not bad mind you, just different.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
sweet! Now you know how to continue to update the ROM if you wanted to. Updating, or reloading the ROM will make your phone feel faster.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
PROBLEM WITH RESTORING PHONE APPS

ok, I have it running the new version of gingerbread (2.3.5). Seems to run a lot faster.... I have gotten my gmail accounts set back up...yea. Now I go to the market to download the titanium backup pro to re install my backed up aps. This is the paid version. I watched it download but it didnt show up in my app folder/menu so I uninstalled it and re installed it the re install when fine and the market shows I have it installed. Again I go to my home app folder and it is not there. However, when I go to the "manage apps" off the menu button, when I scan down the list of all of my apps it is there. When I click on it all I get is the amount of storage that has been used. From this screen, all I can do is uninstall it?

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
OK, powered off completely and powered back on... no difference. the app is not showing up in my home screen folder of apps. now if I hit menu, then manage apps, then I get a huge list of apps to include the Titanium Backup Pro. If I click on it... it just gives me the 80. KB of memory used. The only option from that screen is to uninstall it. The version I have of Titanium Backup Pro is 1.2.0

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
sounds like a annoyance. If you can see it in the Market, then you should be able to launch it from the Market using the Open button.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK, powered off completely and powered back on... no difference. the app is not showing up in my home screen folder of apps. now if I hit menu, then manage apps, then I get a huge list of apps to include the Titanium Backup Pro. If I click on it... it just gives me the 80. KB of memory used. The only option from that screen is to uninstall it. The version I have of Titanium Backup Pro is 1.2.0

That is the paid version updater. You need to install the free version of the app. It will then find the other and all will be well.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
By chance, do have unknown sources checked in your application settings?

sent from my liberated bionic using tapatalk

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is the paid version updater. You need to install the free version of the app. It will then find the other and all will be well.

Try that too:)

sent from my liberated bionic using tapatalk

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
from the market, it shows I have it installed...but it will not show up in my app drawer/menu so I can not run the re install??? Anyone have an idea what to do...If I have to I can manually download all my aps again...but isnt that what I paid $8 to them to do?