need help updating my OS on an original Droid

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I downloaded that driver, installed it (went fine) but when you go into Computer (Windows 7) you do not see the phone like I did previously. When I go into the control panel I don't see it either. It used to pop up as device unknown but now that the driver is installed... it doesnt show up. The device does show up on control panel - devices and printers but I can not open and see the files? I tried to right click and tried to browse files but it give me the device name in light grey showing you can not click on it. The device manager says it is working properly??

I hate to jump in here late and ask what is probably a stupid question, or two, but here goes; do you have usb debugging turned on in Manage Applications/Development? and do you have the "usb storage" turned on?

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
rebooted, didnt work. took off driver and rebooted and re installed driver (auto by my computer)... the phone doesn't show up as listed on my computer when I look at devices and printers it is there but I still can not browse files??

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I hate to jump in here late and ask what is probably a stupid question, or two, but here goes; do you have usb debugging turned on in Manage Applications/Development? and do you have the "usb storage" turned on?

EXCELLENT QUESTION! Before all this began, when I plugged my phone to the computer the software prompted me to approve the connection. It no longer does this... I did check the files: under application settings...settings...development the box is checked for USB debugging. I do not see where I can turn on the USB storage.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

EXCELLENT QUESTION! Before all this began, when I plugged my phone to the computer the software prompted me to approve the connection. It no longer does this... I did check the files: under application settings...settings...development the box is checked for USB debugging. I do not see where I can turn on the USB storage.

Plug into computer and then pull down the notification bar and select Usb bar and select Turn on Usb Storage.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
my notification bar is missing :( that is why I am having to dump gingerbread and try to get back to the origional version of the OS. My phone rings but I can not answer it and my notification bar never showeded up...not sure why. sigh...now what?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any time I have issues like this with a new rom, the first thing I do is to reflash the rom with no wipes. I think that is what you need to do.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any time I have issues like this with a new rom, the first thing I do is to reflash the rom with no wipes. I think that is what you need to do.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Exactly, or try a different rom...its kinda weird but phones seem to have certain roms they "like" (run really well with no bugs) and some roms they "hate" (very buggy)
Its trial and error really but trust me, once you find what your phone likes it'll be worth it. Its the main reason so many of us cling to our aging droids. Until the past 5 or 6 months my own d1 was basically as good as any new phone coming out

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
i reloaded the gingerbread rom and rebooted the phone...same issues. No bar at the top and you can not answer the phone when an incoming call comes in. Have I FUBAR this phone? I really really appreciate all this help

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plug into computer and then pull down the notification bar and select Usb bar and select Turn on Usb Storage.

Ok, I have an idea that might work if you really need to mount your sdcard download the free app multi mount widget

3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
i reloaded the gingerbread rom and rebooted the phone...same issues. No bar at the top and you can not answer the phone when an incoming call comes in. Have I FUBAR this phone? I really really appreciate all this help

Nope, just try a different rom. If you're on the forums app its under Droid hacking> custom roms
For a newbie something like project elite would be a good start

3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
can I do that from my phone. I will not have the option of downloading it to my computer and then moving it to my phone since my computer and phone will not see each other.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, its easy, the rom downloads will be found in the downloads folder on the sdcard

Oh don't forget whenever you install a new rom you always wipe data and cache in recovery (actually its best to wipe system too, I think its under either advanced or mounts, I can't remember, I don't use that recovery anymore) only time you don't wipe anything is if you are updating that particular rom, I.e. liquid 2.6 to liquid 3.0

3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
ok, I am back and have another chunk of time to try to do this. Wasnt successful with downloading directly to my phone late yesterday. Will try again today.