need help updating my OS on an original Droid

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok, I will plug it into the outlet over night.

thanks

Yeah wall outlet charges better than hooked up to a computer. Actually I think I had that exact problem once. Charging with USB just didn't give it enough juice to actually boot up and charge but wall outlet would

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok for future reference if you get your phone working or get a new one...this is my quick guide to proper flashing a rom
1. If you have a stable or at least workable rom already on or are coming from stock rooted and have a rom downloaded to your sdcard and have clockwork recovery- reboot recovery or power off and then hold power and x button until recovery comes up.
2. Use volume keys to navigate and camera to select and power to go back. Go to backup/restore and choose backup and wait till it finishes
3. Then go to partitions and select format boot, format system, format data, and format cache
4. Then go to install from sdcard, navigate to where the rom is on your sdcard and select it
5. If you wish to flash a custom kernel as well just go back to install from sdcard and select it DON'T FORMAT ANYTHING
6. Finally, select reboot
7. If there are any issues just go back to the recovery and select backup/restore and select restore and choose the backup you did earlier

3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
OK>>>> I NOW HAVE A FUNCTIONING PHONE..... YIPEE Charging over night worked. I rebooted and had to reactivate the phone. Now starts the long process of getting aps loaded again. If there are any must have apps, let me know. Also, if there is an easy app I can download for wireless tethering that would be super helpful. I am back to a virgin phone and will begin the rebuild. The Droid Bionic can now wait.

Many Many thanks to all!

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I am not rooted, I am back to the base FRG83G, it was the only way to raise my phone from the dead.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK>>>> I NOW HAVE A FUNCTIONING PHONE..... YIPEE Charging over night worked. I rebooted and had to reactivate the phone. Now starts the long process of getting aps loaded again. If there are any must have apps, let me know. Also, if there is an easy app I can download for wireless tethering that would be super helpful. I am back to a virgin phone and will begin the rebuild. The Droid Bionic can now wait.

Many Many thanks to all!

It's cases like this that have proven over and over that the original Droid is virtually indestructible. I very pleased you were able to get this done - you should be proud!!

Must have apps for me are fairly simple ones: Noodles (a To Do List app), Navigon (Navigation app), Documents to Go, Tapatalk (for reading forums), Bedside (alarm clock for the dock), Dolphin HD Browser, PowerAmp (for music - well, recorded books actually), Solitaire (there are about 150,000 variations in the market), Cameral FX (much better than stock). As you can see for that list, I am a simple man (and I mean "simple" in every sense of the word) :biggrin:.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you ever feel like trying to root again and install a rom, don't forget the very important first steps
1. Get rom manager app to install clockwork recovery very easily
2. Go to the recovery and make a backup before anything else. This simple step would've saved you about 10000000000 headaches lol

Just a piece of advice for the future.
Btw since you're completely stock now how about trying the linpack app and quadrant standard edition app for stock reference benchmark scores...I'm curious what good ol stock is like lol

3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
linpack app and quadrant standard edition app for stock reference benchmark score

No clue what this is...lol

Yes, I am THRILLED to have my phone back and working. I may come back after my nerves settle down and try to root and get my tether back. Gotta rest a bit from all this new IT learning I have done. My brain hasnt worked this hard in a while ... and I DO TAX RETURNS lol!​