Need help picking a 3G phone, opinions wanted!

Rumblur

Reaction score
I've been rockin the Droid X for most of 2011... and I'm getting tired of the sheer size of this thing. I like the Incredible size wise, but dont care for the optical mouse. I tried a Inc2, and liked it, but it had TERRIBLE reception... have they fixed that yet?

So what I was hoping you phone gurus could tell me... was the alternatives out there. I have to have a 3G phone, as I'm on PagePlus, and they cant activate 4G (which I found out after buying a Thunderbolt and REALLY liking it, drat).

So what do you recommend? I live out in the fringe area, so reception is important. I will say the X has great reception.... I just need a smaller phone and a better camera. The Inc2 was great on the phone and size, just crap on reception.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid 3 or X2 are really your only other options for a new 3G phone.

I have the Droid 3 and it is a great phone tbh.

OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
Droid 3 has full keyboard, right? I really dont care for the slider or added thickness.

Is there anything else comparable to a Dinc2 size wise but with better reception?

OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
anybody? I really like the Dinc2 but cant live with the crappy reception.... I really need a smaller form factor phone than the Droid X I have. help!

robert70

Reaction score
Like he said those are really the only two options you have, but go to the store and see what suits you best, I love my x2 and wont be jumping to 4g until next year unless someone flat out gives me a Bionic.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
PagePlus? im guessing its like a small cell phone service provider owned by verizon? If thats the case then its a definite fail that they cant even activate 4g phones, afterall you can disable the 4g if you dont live in a 4g area...
At any rate you can always try out some older verizon phones bought off ebay or sites like that...or even the iphone if you just want a 3g smartphone (im going to have to kick myself later for even mentioning the dreaded iphone lol)

here is a little timeline that might help if you wanted an older android phone bought off an internet site

Timeline Graphic: US Android Phone Releases - We're Definitely Moving Faster, But How Fast Is Too Fast?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would go with a Droid 3 or OG Droid for 3G phone choices.

OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
Yes, PagePlus is a reseller of Verizon. They cant (wont) activate 4G phones. I actually had a Thunderbolt but the MEID wouldnt work. So I had to go back to my Droid X. I then bought a Dinc2 that was a little beat up... worked fine, but had TERRIBLE reception... Loved the form factor but cant handle the terrible reception.

I dont care for the external / hardware keyboards... I like the virtual. The X is a great phone reception wise, it's just too big :(

Insidious

Reaction score
I think you'd be really happy with the Droid 3. Same size screen as the Inc2, plus the great moto build quality. The version of blur that it has is pretty good too.