My droid bionic won't root

OP
D

derikogreen

Reaction score
jickracer007 Google Bionic Roms and there will be a sub heading under XDA that has "Liquid ICS" this link has the step by step process on it with all the file links needed to achieve the results that you are looking for.
I originally had the same issues.
If you aren't trying to do the ICS, which I must say since I installed it with the "Liquid ROM" I have never been happier.

Thanks I'll try that asap, that's basicly what I'm trying to do. i want the ICS leak but i want to be rooted also.

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
I mean, If it's 905 and if motofail has access to your filesystem with the proper permissions (debug and unknown sources which are in effect passwordless SU privilege accounts, like "power" on an old SCO box or "nobody" on solaris 4 if you know your historic hacks and the CERT write ups of them) your phone has no choice but to root. Older drivers (like the 893 and 902 drivers) are obsolete, they changed not too long ago, about the time the ICS leaks starting dropping. Device manager 2.2.28 is the latest motorola package (32 bit), I updated Saturday morning because I was refreshing and updating all the phone tools on my PC. I'm thinking you need to uninstall that moto end user whatever it is you've got (name and version number don't look at all right for the device manager package?) and go see if you can search moto for Device Manager 2.2.28 64 bit You might Start Here.

Last edited:

linuxgator

Reaction score
linuxgator Try going into the stock recovery and wiping the cache. Also, are you using a motorola branded cable? Sometimes you can have problems using other usb cables.

I have the same usb cord that came with my phone but how do i go into stock recovery and wipe the cache

To get to stock recovery, power down the phone. Then hold both the volume up and volume down keys simultaneously while powering on the phone. A boot mode selection menu will appear, and you use the volume down key to highlight Recovery, then the volume up key to select it. After a few seconds, a triangle should show up, at which point, press both volume keys again, and it should take you to the recovery menu. From the recovery menu, you use the volume up and down arrows to scroll, and the power button to select. Scroll down to wipe cache partition, and select that. After that, scroll to reboot system now, and try rooting. If that doesn't work, you may want to try a factory data reset, which will delete all of your data so try that as a last resort.

OP
D

derikogreen

Reaction score
jickracer007 Google Bionic Roms and there will be a sub heading under XDA that has "Liquid ICS" this link has the step by step process on it with all the file links needed to achieve the results that you are looking for.
I originally had the same issues.
If you aren't trying to do the ICS, which I must say since I installed it with the "Liquid ROM" I have never been happier.

Thanks I'll try that asap, that's basicly what I'm trying to do. i want the ICS leak but i want to be rooted also.

I googled Bionic roms, I saw a few headings with XDA but none specifying the "Liquid ICS" link you mentioned. When you get a chance can you get that specific link, tired of the pop up advertising when i'm searching for something else.

OP
D

derikogreen

Reaction score
To get to stock recovery, power down the phone. Then hold both the volume up and volume down keys simultaneously while powering on the phone. A boot mode selection menu will appear, and you use the volume down key to highlight Recovery, then the volume up key to select it. After a few seconds, a triangle should show up, at which point, press both volume keys again, and it should take you to the recovery menu. From the recovery menu, you use the volume up and down arrows to scroll, and the power button to select. Scroll down to wipe cache partition, and select that. After that, scroll to reboot system now, and try rooting. If that doesn't work, you may want to try a factory data reset, which will delete all of your data so try that as a last resort.

I did the stock recovery and wiped my cache partition and then tried to root again with motofail and still received the "adb servers out date killing/fail message. I have backed up everything incase i need to do a factory reset but do you think that will really work.

altspeed

Reaction score
The "adb servers out of date" part screams drivers.....go into control panel on your pc and uninstall whatever driver package it is you have. Then, acter you've uninstalled the drivers and rebooted the PC, go to the link a few posts up where i said "you might start here" and reDL and install motorola device manager. Not end user whatever it is you currently have installed. The fact that windows sees the phone doesn't mean your drivers are 100%.

altspeed

Reaction score
altspeed said:
I mean, If it's 905 and if motofail has access to your filesystem with the proper permissions (debug and unknown sources which are in effect passwordless SU privilege accounts, like "power" on an old SCO box or "nobody" on solaris 4 if you know your historic hacks and the CERT write ups of them) your phone has no choice but to root. Older drivers (like the 893 and 902 drivers) are obsolete, they changed not too long ago, about the time the ICS leaks starting dropping. Device manager 2.2.28 is the latest motorola package (32 bit), I updated Saturday morning because I was refreshing and updating all the phone tools on my PC. I'm thinking you need to uninstall that moto end user whatever it is you've got (name and version number don't look at all right for the device manager package?) and go see if you can search moto for Device Manager 2.2.28 64 bit You might Start Here.

The link and version number from this post

OP
D

derikogreen

Reaction score
The "adb servers out of date" part screams drivers.....go into control panel on your pc and uninstall whatever driver package it is you have. Then, acter you've uninstalled the drivers and rebooted the PC, go to the link a few posts up where i said "you might start here" and reDL and install motorola device manager. Not end user whatever it is you currently have installed. The fact that windows sees the phone doesn't mean your drivers are 100%.

Are you saying the driver that connects my phone to my pc. What I see in my Device Manager is Android USB Devices as I open that I see Mot Composite ADB interface. I also went into Disk Drives which I have 2 Motorola XT875 USB Devices installed. Which one do I uninstall and does it seem weird for me to have 2 Motorola XT875 USB Devices installed.

OP
D

derikogreen

Reaction score
do you have any other computer you can try it on? and I agree with alt, it sure sounds like a driver issue... you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers - and if you need the latest, check here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481/~/where-can-i-obtain-the-usb-drivers-for-my-device%3F

Don't have access to another computer at the moment but i will look into that if I still have this problem. Are you saying the driver that connects my phone to my pc. What I see in my Device Manager is Android USB Devices as I open that I see Mot Composite ADB interface. I also went into Disk Drives which I have 2 Motorola XT875 USB Devices installed. Which one do I uninstall and does it seem weird for me to have 2 Motorola XT875 USB Devices installed.

altspeed

Reaction score
Uninstall all of it or at least motorola device manager from install/remove programs in classic view control panel. Then take either on of the links above and install motorola device manager clean. The message you're getting means that your phone and PC have incompatible versions of adb.