Bionic Users: 1 Click Root Method Available

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
1click.png

Life is too complicated to go through all the steps the previous method required, but now you do not have to anymore. This new method was brought to us by, Pete Souza, who maneged to automate the rooting process to save you time with your new Motorola Super Smartphone. Now this is not only for the Droid Bionic, other Motorola 2.3.4 powered devices can use this method.

Bionic users, remember that there is no way to take your device back to factory settings once this is complete; just a fair warning.

Via: Androidcentral
Method available here

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
does that mean there is no way for bionic users to go back for now or does it mean you cant go back to stock forever?

phatkat66

Reaction score
It's probably just for now, we don't have a sbf file to flash because the phone was released yesterday. Its amazing we even had root ability before the phone itself. Sbf should be available within the month or so. But im 99% sure there's always a way to flash back to stock otherwise verizon itself wouldn't have much of a customer service solution for people with random problems that are solved with a quick factory reset.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Gang,

Wen, I know this is news and probably worthy of mention, it might have been better to place this in the Bionic Hacks forum where folks could get more info. I hope they go there anyway, but my experience is that there will be lots who do not. I also hope the folks will visit the D3 hack forum where they can see what all has been going on with rooting, and the PROBLEMS some folks are having soft bricking their phones.

To the question of going back, at some point it will be easier, hopefully. Right now there is no recovery for the Bionic, and certainly no SBF file to return the phone to stock, so there are things that can be done to make the phone look like stock, but these are manual. And I say hopefully, as one of the reasons I have a Bionic coming is that there should be a reasonable amount of development work going on with this phone. The D1 was an anomoly by today's standards. Back when it came out, it was mostly the one and only phone, so everyone threw development at it. And its bootloader was not locked down tight, so Recovery was had in reasonably short order. The D3 has been out weeks, and does not have a recovery, Bootstrap bypass to Roms, or anything other than root. We (Bionic users) benefitted by the work done to root their phone, and hopefully there will be enough interest by developers for the Bionic that folks (developers) will hit the Bionic hard as far as working around the locked bootloader, and both the Bionic and D3 will have something more than just root in a reasonably short anount of time.

In the mean time, I would encourage folks to at least run their stock Bionic long enough to ensure that there are no obvious hardware issues that would make the phone need to go back immediately, before they root. If you do root right away, and immediately start removing bloat, it does come with the risk of difficulty getting back to stock and the fact that there will likley be some issues with the OS that will need "fixing" by moto/vzw by an OTA. This fix via OTA is just my observation looking at all of the phones that have come out since the D1. If your phone is modified heavily while rooted, the/any OTA could be problematic. Folks need to remember that with the D1, since it was rooted, recovered and rommed early, it was easy for the Dev's to snag the OTA's, and modify them for the rooted/rommed phones. No such luxory with the Bionic yet.

So the potential pitfalls are more than just not being able to return to stock (at face value). The implications with non-stock are returning the phone, receiving OTA's and going too crazy with bloat removal that you soft brick the phone.

Just my 2 bits,

Craig

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Anyone know about the bootloader yet? I'm not sure if its been posted elsewhere as I tend to follow my phone more than all the rest, but is it locked up tight or open?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Oops,

Looks like things are moving a bit faster than me this morning. It appears the the one click may be used to unroot. Not sure if it is the same then Wen posted above, but there are report(s) of folks using a one click method to unroot. This would still not fix a soft brick, but if you visit the Bionic hack subforum it is beginning to be discussed. Wen, maybe you want to look into this and see if you need to modify the OP, might safe some confusion.

Craig

Craig

MisterEd

Reaction score
Process worked flawlessly Thank You. The wireless tether redirects me to a vzw page now. Is there a wireless tether that works with root now?

N2Nuttin

Reaction score
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but the program locks up on searching for my phone even though its connected. Can anyone help me out? TIA

jjbinks82

Reaction score
Do you have the most recent drivers installed from motorola? If you're using the stock micro-USB cord try switching it with a different one.

When I first tried the one click method same thing happened to me. I switched up the USB cord and it worked.

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONC using DroidForums

TomSr

Reaction score
Getting my Bionic tomorrow, so this is sure an interesting thread.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Ok, just downloaded the latest Moto drivers, debugging checked, charge only mode. I click on root my phone and I get an error saying "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The system cannot find the file specified."

I've also re-downloaded the program and it still gives me the same error.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
When I extract the files the root app doesn't extract inside the "support files" folder. So, I put it in there with the adb file, but when I try to run the program it tells me I'm missing the adb.exe file that's packaged with the program. I don't get it.