Direct root method for Android 2.3.4 on D2G,D2,DX, and DX2

Newenglandguy

Reaction score
Themib - I missed that step. I am up and going and do have super user icon. Should I go back and wipe the cache partition?

Thanks for your help and patience in helping me get rooted.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
yes, not a real problem, but it's easy

also should verify root with voodoo ota, basic root, update superuser binary, d2 bootstrap or any app that requires root to work

Newenglandguy

Reaction score
Just loaded and ran voodoo OTA an d on the status everything is checked except for "protected su copy available". Not sure if that's a problem or how to correct it.

Newenglandguy

Reaction score
So what is the "protected copy of the su" that I don't have available, what was it for, and why would one evr need to be worried about eve having it available aging?

Also, as long as I'm rooted how do I best read up on how to now be able to take advantage of the root and optimize my Droid? One thing I read was that you can run some apps in RAM as opposed to ROM, but how do you do that? Also, how do you determine which ones?

Also, how do I determine what I have for bloatware and get rid of it. VZ Navigator was referred to as bloatware on one site, and seeing I use Navigator (that little blue triangle), would I best be deleting VZ Navigator? If so, how does one do that as it only looks like I can remove some upgrade, not the whole app. Maybe I can do something through Super Users, but Im not sure how to do that.

Sorry for the questions, buy obviously I'm a newbie.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
You have to create it, used if installing update, you then can restore root, with voodoo, not needed otherwise, and can cause custom rom install to fail

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
One thing I read was that you can run some apps in RAM as opposed to ROM, but how do you do that?
you can run apps from internal memory or from sd card, depending on how much space you want and where
I would use titanium backup pro, to move to and from sd card

bloatware and get rid of it.
bloatware is a preinstalled system app, freeze don't remove, with 'titanium pro' or 'rom toolbox'
easiest way to remove bloat is install a custom rom, most bloat is already gone
look at cm7, cm9, or liquid roms
[D2/D2G/DX] CM9 Build Thread - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki
LiquidICS V1.5 [Unofficial port] - Droid 2/R2D2 Development - RootzWiki
official cm7 doesn't work on 4.5.621 so use cm7 for 4.5.621

GB 4.5.606 bloat list
if you delete a file or app, you have to use .sbf, if you want/need it and didn't backup, and just because you don't think you need it doesn't mean you don't

removing yahoo, can break other email apps, if you froze it it's an easy fix, just unfreeze, and reboot, may need to wipe cache

VZ Navigator was referred to as bloatware on one site, and seeing I use Navigator (that little blue triangle)
yes it's bloat and it's not free, use google maps/navigation or waze, they are free and work better

something through Super Users,
superuser is a firewall, you control which apps have, root access to system files, with allow/deny
use titanium to backup/freeze/remove/restore, and root browser to move files,

Tutor

Reaction score
I d/l'ed and created a cd using the D2 4.5.621 use ezSBF & Root 2.3.4/4.5.621 link and ran the program and still didn't get my phone rooted. Ran it again and again, still no go. The phone is a Droid 2 (not Global or Incredible) just a standard droid 2... I'm checking my root status with Titanium backup pro (which I still have on my phone from when I did have it rooted prior to the last update verzion had sent out that killed my ability to root.
I even attempted to switch the phone into pc mode and run the rooting cd that way.
Any ideas?
Tutor

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
there is very little difference
but it can cause confusion, when switching subject to different devices

twistedmetaldragons

Reaction score
Maybe a dead page, but I have a few questions... I have a d2g, and it was accidently flashed with a d2 sbf, and is bricked now. We have tried the easy sbf for 2.4.33, 4.5.608, as well as the newer .629-2013. I have tried it on a cd, as well as a usb drive on both an xp system as well as a windows 7 system to no avail. It either comes up with the mem error/corrupt or just the bootloader. I have wiped data/cache every time.... Any suggestions?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
not dead, just mostly dead
only use 629 sbf or 629 ezSBF
if using rsd lite, make sure to manually install drivers
flashing should take atleast 10min and under 30min
which bootloader does it have?
do not charge/by_pass battery with stripped usb/charger wires
or atleast remove before trying to reboot

just keep flashing till it takes

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)
just download, allow unknown sources, install, open, select top root method (Gimli), reboot phone, done, no pc needed
[video=youtube_share;-5TmP15hfQU]http://youtu.be/-5TmP15hfQU[/video]