Motorola Droid Pro VS BlackBerry?

jimmy8765

Reaction score
Right now, at least 31% of the smartphones, in the field are BlackBerry handsets.I've been carrying around a BlackBerry Torch 9800 for a couple of months. It's a good qwerty/touch-screen combo phone. But the new Motorola smartphone - Droid Pro which the first thing I noticed about is its BlackBerry-esque design. The first Droid to sport a vertical physical keyboard, the Pro is made for one-handed texting.

So Motorola Droid Pro VS BlackBerry? Motorola Droid Pro, a BlackBerry Killer?

A

anonydroid

Right now, at least 31% of the smartphones, in the field are BlackBerry handsets.I've been carrying around a BlackBerry Torch 9800 for a couple of months. It's a good qwerty/touch-screen combo phone. But the new Motorola smartphone - Droid Pro which the first thing I noticed about is its BlackBerry-esque design. The first Droid to sport a vertical physical keyboard, the Pro is made for one-handed texting.

It should be taken into consideration that the choice of brand and model of a smartphone for business users is usually made by the IT department, and RIM has a strong foothold there with more than phones - The whole comprehensive infrastructure and integration with Exchange is a large reason that why RIM still holds >10% of share despite its comparatively poor offering on the software front compared to iPhone and Android.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, it looks BlackBerry-esque but it needs to function as well as a BlackBerry with emails and the other things that makes BlackBerry a good choice for some ppl.

mtavenger55

Reaction score
When I saw the Droid Pro announcement I immediately thought of a Blackberry! I thought more specifically of the Blackberry Torch. I'm very impressed with the design of the phone. It is not as big as the Droid 2 or Droid X & I like the touch screen & keyboard combo as well as the 1 handed use on the keyboard. Plus the business features look awesome, even though I probably won't ever use the phone for business if I end up getting it lol.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that Android brings a whole new experience to the table and unless everyone else steps their game up that Android will excel over the competition

Rizzy99

Reaction score
Blackberry will remain the corporate choice and Blackberrys are great phones. I have always been a Blackberry user. I left Blackberry and went to the T-mobile G1, and it sold me on Android. I went back to the Blackberry when i went to Verizon and just went to the Droid 2 to get back on the Android platform. The only edge i really think that Blackberry has is the simplicity and functionality of the phone. Almost anyone can pick up a Blackberry and know exactly how to use it. All that being said, I can't wait to get my hands on a Droid Pro and check it out. Looks like an awesome phone.

mkzbdroid

Reaction score
lmao

It should be taken into consideration that the choice of brand and model of a smartphone for business users is usually made by the IT department, and RIM has a strong foothold there with more than phones - The whole comprehensive infrastructure and integration with Exchange is a large reason that why RIM still holds >10% of share despite its comparatively poor offering on the software front compared to iPhone and Android.

lol I remember that same excuse...been selling phones for over 5 years and just because blackberry has a footprint now doesn't mean they will have it a year from now....palm is a perfect example....what happened after the treo line? blackberry stepped it up while palm got lazy....Rims getting lazy now so whos the underdog?

griz8791

Reaction score
My wife will apparently be home tonight with a new Blackberry 8330. I wanted her to hold out for a Droid Pro but she has decided to join her law partner on Alltel.

I know from painful previous experience that all technical questions about the new phone will be referred to me. So can anyone quickly tell me what the Blackberry equivalent is to droidforums.net?

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
Blackberry vs Droid

It seems to me that the android platform has so much more going for it. Blackberry was a usually reliable email device with a lot of companies using Microsoft Exchange Server for Blackberry. Now, to reduce cost, a lot of people are just using Gmail and the android platforms. My wife is excited to be dropping her Blackberry 8830 and getting the Droid Pro.

sadie123

Reaction score
several annoying things in transition from blackberry to droid x:

inability to sync calendar with i cal, can't even have a 2-way sync from ical to gmail.
inability to have the voice mail pin automatically register through the pre-installed voicemail app/icon.
inability to cut and paste copy from emails.
of course, battery life.
lack of an aircast app for my favorite radio station.

but giving it a try.

monkizzle

Reaction score
I have the motorola droid, motorola droid pro, and the blackberry tour (9630)

24 hour impressions of droid pro

Screen:
Droid Pro's screen is bigger & crisper

Audio:
Like my motorola droid, the droid pro's speakers are amazing, the tour's speakers arent bad either but i wouldnt say they are as good as the droid's

Keyboard:
slim learning curve, can type on droid pro as well as i can type on the tour, although droid pro keys feel slightly stiffer but it could be my tour is just "broken in"

People who have blackberries know that they take a hot minute to start up, the droid pro starts up quickly and the os is very snappy, havent had any issues with it being slow at all.

I also like droid's market over bb's app world any day.

Overall size:
It is slightly longer than the tour but still feels pretty good in hand. I can cradle the blackberry in my hand better but i think once i get a case of some sort for droid pro it should be fine. I am very cautious with droid pro because the fact that its a little longer it seems harder to securely hold into your hand and its a little slippery. my pointer finger usually cradles my blackberry into my hand so its secure on three sides but i cant get pointer finger around the top of the droid pro comfortably.
Droid Pro and iPhone4 are very close in size so the droid pro isnt a brick or anything

Other Notes:
I like the charging port on the droid pro it has like a "grommet" around it and at night it lights up so you can find out where to stick it in ;)

These are some of my first things i noticed off the bat, if you would like me to try to compare something else let me know.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Other Notes:
I like the charging port on the droid pro it has like a "grommet" around it and at night it lights up so you can find out where to stick it in ;)

I was just wishing I had something like this on my X this morning. I had to go near my PC to see where to plug it up.

sadie123

Reaction score
Can't click and access urls sent as emails in the droid email app. This one is from facebook. This should not be a problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App