Any Blackberry users switch to the Droid Pro?

Chillson

Reaction score
I'm mainly curious about your opinions on the keyboard. I've had the Storm 1, iPhone, Droid 1, and Droid X and I still miss having a physical keyboard like I had on my Curve as well as other qwerty phones I've had in the past. So this phone having a physical keyboard as well as being a touch screen seems like a great option. So any former Blackberry users that switched to the Pro would be great to hear what they have to say, thanks!

kilofox

Reaction score
Any jumping ship from BB to Motorola's Droid Pro? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Take this with a grain of salt... after all it is Crackberry.

One thing I like is that the numbers on the Pro are more like your computer keyboard.

images

As opposed to blackberry's "block o'numbers" layout :)

BlackBerryBoldKeyboard.jpg

Ned

Reaction score
My wife had the tour and I used an upgrade to get her the Pro. She is not a power app user but really likes the Pro so far.

Pros for her are integration with gmail and good POP and corp sync access for her work emails. She likes the keyboard as well and has not had an issue transitioning.

The biggest con is battery life. I think corp sync and pop sync were draining the battery. I changed some settings and think its getting better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kilofox

Reaction score
My wife had the tour and I used an upgrade to get her the Pro. She is not a power app user but really likes the Pro so far.

Pros for her are integration with gmail and good POP and corp sync access for her work emails. She likes the keyboard as well and has not had an issue transitioning.

The biggest con is battery life. I think corp sync and pop sync were draining the battery. I changed some settings and think its getting better.

She will probably end up needing the extended battery in the long run. Which leads me to another point.

Verizon's Web site states the Pro Accessories are 25% off till 11/17 .... of course the 2 I want (extended battery and dock) are out of stock. :mad:

ravenhawk

Reaction score

She will probably end up needing the extended battery in the long run. Which leads me to another point.

Verizon's Web site states the Pro Accessories are 25% off till 11/17 .... of course the 2 I want (extended battery and dock) are out of stock. :mad:

My Verizon store does a thing where if you buy 3 or more accessories then you get 25% off. If you come back within 30 days with the receipt and buy or have them order more accessories for you, the 25% off still applies. That's my plan for getting both the battery and the dock (just bought a couple accessories for my son's Droid X this weekend, thus the 25% off).

Stazik

Reaction score
I use Blackberry 9000 for more than 2 years now. I would like to share my 3 days of impression in comparison to Droid Pro:

Business-wise:
Battery Life:
Subjective: Seems like Droid Pro runs twice as less as my Blackberry 9000 (with new battery)
1. Exchange support: DP-1.BB+1
Droid Pro: Limited to contacts, calendar and email. Blackberry: Same but includes tasks and notes.
2. Exchange push: DP-1.BB+1
Emails do not load instantly on Droid Pro as they do on Blackberry (Push seems to lag few minutes).
3. Contact pictures: DP-1.BB+1
Your contact pictures stored in Outlook or Exchange server do not get synchronized with Droid Pro. On BB everything syncs correctly.
4. Contacts Groups: DP+1.BB-1
Your contact folders and groups can be hidden from viewing to speed up search, excellent feature of Droid Pro. BB shows all contacts.
5. Emails: DP-1.BB+1
Droid Pro does not have an option to automatically load pictures, does not allow zooming in, zooming out of email texts and graphics, copy text, save pictures etc. Build in email client is more than email viewer than email client. You get much better general email support in BB.

Entertainment:
1. Browser: DP+1.BB-1
Browser is totally awesome in Droid Pro, mainly thanks to support of Flash of course, but even without it seems even faster than one in iPhone, Blackberry native browser is nowhere even close, even on OS 6.0.
2. Skype: DP+1.BB-1
You have an option to install nice version of Skype for Android on DP (not preinstalled Skype Mobile you get in DP and BB).
3. Widgets: DP+1.BB-1
Absolutely cool feature of putting a lot of customizable features on home screens including, email preview, calendar agenda, clocks, shortcuts, applications links in the order you want. On a BB you have to work out with Themes and your options are far more limited.
4. Applications: DP+1.BB-1
App store apparently has much more free and fun stuff than the one for blackberry.
5. Games: DP+1.BB-1
Graphics of DP is awesome and close to what you get on iPhone and iPad. You get free ANGRY BIRDS too!!

So far it seems to me that I am returning Droid Pro to the shop and getting Verizon Blackberry 9650 instead of my AT&T 9000.

dogunter

Reaction score
My wife received her Droid Pro on Friday and loves it. It replaced her Blackberry Curve. So far her only complaint is that the keys are a wee bit smaller and packed closer together. This is something she says she can get used to and the other features of the phone already make it a winner over the Curve.

OP
C

Chillson

Reaction score
Bump.

How are you guys doing with the battery life thus far? And now that you have had the phones for a couple weeks, what complaints do yall have with the device?

akosnitzky

Reaction score
I was on a BB for 6 years. Battery drain is a problem. I am looking into extended battery and dock.

Ride

Reaction score
I switched from the Curve (former owner of multiple BB's, Q9, XV6700, etc.,) and I love it.

As far as battery life. . .here's the thing. . . I play with this thing a lot more than I did any blackberry I've owned, just more stuff to do IMO, and this is reflected in battery life. My BB just sat on my hip and got looked at when it buzzed for corp mail and then periodically for gmail.

I see them as two different tools, BB purely corp functional (for me) while the DP is a corp tool / entertainment-mini PC.

I own the extended Battery, but haven't used it yet, been getting by with the standard one, but will switch once I hit the road next week. Overall, much prefer my Droid over my BB.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was on a BB for 6 years. Battery drain is a problem. I am looking into extended battery and dock.

There isn't a Droid out there that has great battery life. Extended battery? I don't know. I think the smart thing to do is get an extra battery. I don't know about the Pro but they were really cheap for the D1/D2 on Amazon.

I also got a plug in wall charger. So if my battery does go on me I've got a back up. Wall charger for a Pro, I don't know but take a look on eBay. They are like 5.00. If you can find one.

I switched from the Curve (former owner of multiple BB's, Q9, XV6700, etc.,) and I love it.

As far as battery life. . .here's the thing. . . I play with this thing a lot more than I did any blackberry I've owned, just more stuff to do IMO, and this is reflected in battery life. My BB just sat on my hip and got looked at when it buzzed for corp mail and then periodically for gmail.

I see them as two different tools, BB purely corp functional (for me) while the DP is a corp tool / entertainment-mini PC.

I own the extended Battery, but haven't used it yet, been getting by with the standard one, but will switch once I hit the road next week. Overall, much prefer my Droid over my BB.
Having an extra battery charged and ready to go is the key. These phones suck up battery life and really there isn't too much you can do about it. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Droid Pro.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
D1/D2/DPro are all the same battery.

Make sure you are getting an OEM wall charger.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

akosnitzky

Reaction score
I was told it was okay to use my blackberry chargers. Is that wrong advice?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

jimbo11mcm

Reaction score
Blackberry charger

BB uses a different plug in. You can get a cord that changes the input from the BB to the Pro, but it is easier and probably better to just get the pro charger. They are available at Verizon and other outlets. They all put out about 5 volts with varying Mah ratings.