1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Motorola Droid hurts Palm

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Mar 19, 2010.

1. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Palm posted a net lost of $22million today and the outlook for the company appears to be just as grim. During the conference call Jon Rubinstein, Palm's chairman and CEO suggested that the Motorola Droid was a major ingredient for Palm's disappointed sales.

Gizmodo reported a rumor that Palm could become an acquistion target for Google. Not necessarily for the current hardware or software but strictly for Palms' patents.

{Source: Engadget Gizmodo}
  2. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

I would love to see Google buy Palm or them change platforms to Android
  3. Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon New Member

I've used a palm PDA (m500 model) to the Tungsten E to the Treo 700p and finally ended with the Palm Centro. I don't know how palm could possibly compete with what Motorola has produced with the Droid interface. Droid is far more advance then the palm could ever be in my opinion.
  4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Apparently you have never used a Palm Pre. WebOS is a VERY slick OS and if you didn't know it was a Palm you would swear it was Android.
  5. unix.punkx

unix.punkx New Member

webOS is the best Mobile OS hands down, I cant deny that. If Google bought Palm and merged Android with webOS it would be AMAZING
  6. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

One could only hope...
  7. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Google aims to conquer all. We'll have to start calling them GoogleSoft when they buy everyone out and create their own substitutes, thus monopolizing the market as well. No laws will be able to stop them though; they'll have a patent on the software that was used to write the laws. :)
  8. sarreq

sarreq New Member

if palm is going to get bought out, I hope google does it before apple gets the same idea
  9. Krish

Krish New Member

Wow it would be amazing if Google bought palm lol. The palm pre was a really awesome phone. The WebOS was so smooth and lag free but it lacked support or devs to work on it so i switch to Droid but would be cool if Google bought Palm, then apple, then the world blahhahahah. :icon_ banana:
  10. QuickSilver98

QuickSilver98 New Member

Palm has been TERMINATED. Next Target: Apple iPhone
  11. shiccy

shiccy New Member

I used a Treo back in the day (loved it!), used a palm T|X for work in healthcare, and then came to my senses ...

Palm's not kept up with the Jones', they thought they were safe because people have been using their O/S for things such as in hospitals, portable POS's in restaurants, etc. They've not been working all that hard to make their OS top of the line, and looking at their UI compared to iPhone, Android, and (yes) even BB have ALL surpassed them by far. Their newest UI/OS finally is semi-appealing, but unfortunately for them came much too late.

Bad business was done by Palm, and while they had a HUGE market monopoly in years past, they get to live with their non-creativity.
  12. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

If Google purchased Palm Apple lawyers would erupt from the sewers and attack Google's headquarters en masse. You see... Apple doesn't like competition.
  13. meepstone

meepstone New Member

oh really?

The Palm CEO believes they have a better product?

Now thats shocking. Don't understand why company rep's always just talk to talk and don't say anything of substance. Instead of being a company that advertises saying we are the best or number one at this or that or the first that did it. How about you actually go out and accomplish it instead of saying it. That would actually be productive than trying to make yourselves out as something your not.
  14. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

PALM's stock is plunging too... that's too bad
  15. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Hate to break it to you... Ain't gonna happen. There are far too many people who would buy a turd with a twist tie stuck in it as an antenna if it had an Apple logo on it.

What would be interesting is if Google released Chrome OS and everyone decided they were sick and tired of Apple's s***. Microsoft, Adobe, & Google could cripple Apple bigtime. Microsoft wouldn't have to live in fear of being a monopoly because Google would be the other OS choice for consumers.

Just saying.
  16. DROIDMASTER

DROIDMASTER New Member

Google will definitely not buy Palm. The quoted message at the top says why google should buy Palm... not why it shouldn't.

This is not a matter of simply handing cash to the CEO of Palm. It's much more difficult than that.

Obviously something has happened to cause them to lose that money. Google does not want to lose that sort of money so whatever the reason of the loss of that money means that Palm's patents did not make them any money.

Palm may have a lot of patents but Palm lost money so their first idea should be to implement their patents into their products.
    (My guess is they already have implemented most of their patents so they need more)

Google buying Palm would be pretty cool but in my opinion not to logical.
  17. stead2120

stead2120 New Member

Palm Sucks ass and has for some time, nothing new.
  18. lfstuxer

lfstuxer New Member

Total agreement.

Nj
    I have the Palm Pre Plus for my company cell and a Motor Droid for my personal. I dropped my BB Storm like a ton of bricks when I got my Droid. I would have to say that if Droid did not exist, I would be living on my Pre. A co-worker of mine has her pixi for work and Eris for personal, she would agree with me that palm is a great 2nd best.

If Google had Palm's portfolio and used the technology in android (Cards & Synergy, etc.,) they could crush apple in court and in the market.

(Plus I would like to see some android in the WebOS like the Widgets. Perhaps WebOS could be the "Lite" or "amateur" version of Android???)
  19. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

:rofl3::icon_ laughup::rofl2:
  20. NeoLogic

NeoLogic New Member

You don't know what youre talking about. It's not that Palms patents didn't make them money... They did, for 15 year they made them lots and lots of money. But now that Google had better marketing and a better carrier than Palm, that is why they have fallen to a low, not because of their patents. A product is a sum of it's parts... not just one thing... like patents.

If you take an already sucessful device, and add to it, it will only become better. So I disagree with you when you say Palm needs more patents. They need better marketing, and a better footing in a carrier that will back them up, and not sluff them off behind Apples crap.