Motorola Droid Bionic Joins the Droid Family!

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
A) I think AT&T needed an extra selling point (for several reasons), and probably offered more for the Atrix

B) The docking station is basically a legal way around tethering. It's less of an issue for AT&T which has a 2gig cap, but I doubt that VZW was excited at all, to put it mildly, when they saw that capability.

I wouldn't say it's tethering... it's not giving your PC internet connection from your phone it's basically putting your phone on your laptop (browser on laptop screen, windowed Android).

Sharing the 1GB memory on the Atrix isn't really a rumor... You will never see two operating systems not share memory equally (dual booting is something completely different).

Lastly, when I said people were overreacting, I meant about the memory differences. People see 1 GB on the Atrix and 512 MB on the Bionic and automatically think the Bionic sucks because it has half the memory. They don't even research to find out it runs two operating systems while the Bionic runs one.

I'm definitely going to get this phone. I don't need a $50+ laptop dock for Android and Firefox.

I read somewhere around $150 for the Atrix laptop dock. Anyone else see that or was I dreaming?

I was just guessing. It will probably be somewhere above $100 (I've heard the $150 rumor a few times so it's not just you)

shdowman

Reaction score
Around $150 makes sense...although I would look for it online soon after and you'll get it cheaper. Look at it this way..if you were to pay for an lcd screen and a bluetooth keyboard, how much roughly would that run ya? Keeping in mind that you get no portability.

Personally the ability to use your phone like that is a game changer in my personal opinion. I wont get one as I wont leave vzw, but small incremental specs in phones don't get me excited. The Atrix is the first phone since the iphone where I have said "wow..cool!!!"

By the way, yes it has a modified os for the docks, that doesn't mean that it wont utilize that 1gb RAM in its normal phone state (for the poster earlier who explained the double ram as not that big of deal)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Around $150 makes sense...although I would look for it online soon after and you'll get it cheaper. Look at it this way..if you were to pay for an lcd screen and a bluetooth keyboard, how much roughly would that run ya? Keeping in mind that you get no portability.

Personally the ability to use your phone like that is a game changer in my personal opinion. I wont get one as I wont leave vzw, but small incremental specs in phones don't get me excited. The Atrix is the first phone since the iphone where I have said "wow..cool!!!"

By the way, yes it has a modified os for the docks, that doesn't mean that it wont utilize that 1gb RAM in its normal phone state (for the poster earlier who explained the double ram as not that big of deal)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

A phone can't allocate a certain amount for a 2nd operating system then be able to use the whole 1 GB RAM when that 2nd operating system is not in use.

They create partitions for each operating system to use.

And in all honestly, a phone running 1 GB RAM all the time with the same battery as a Bionic would suck the life out of it real quick.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
The ram is always running anyway. The other os is always running in the background from what I understand.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
The ram is always running anyway. The other os is always running in the background from what I understand.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Source? I would think that would be a retarded design flaw to run half the ram that isnt used until the dock is plugged in.

Sure I've seen "simultaneously" but that doesn't mean all the time.

wingdo

Reaction score
Well pricing for the Atrix and dock are out finally. $199 for the Atrix, $499 for the dock, or $499 total if bought all at once.

No more Atrix envy from me. :)

soulpatch

Reaction score
499 for the dock......WOW...... Just buy a full blown netbook or laptop for that price. Hell buy a standalone tablet that is more feature packed for a few bucks more...

bizzshow

Reaction score
And that's how you price the dock out of reason for most people 150 for the dock I could see but for 500 that's the price of a more powerful netbook or even laptop

soulpatch

Reaction score
Even if you look at the bundle cost and you get the dock for 300.... That is a decent standalone netbook with a ton more features then the dock....

wingdo

Reaction score
Yeah, I think everyone will get over their Atrix envy now.

Parafly9

Reaction score
499 for the dock......WOW...... Just buy a full blown netbook or laptop for that price. Hell buy a standalone tablet that is more feature packed for a few bucks more...

I was never expecting it to be < $200 but that's pretty steep. I really don't see what benefit you get from this either beyond just web browsing. I mean the machine is basically just a monitor with a keyboard built in, right? Is there any hardware at all, does it have a batterY?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was never expecting it to be < $200 but that's pretty steep. I really don't see what benefit you get from this either beyond just web browsing. I mean the machine is basically just a monitor with a keyboard built in, right? Is there any hardware at all, does it have a batterY?

It was going to be at least $150 unless they were giving it away. I thought $200, $250 at most.

For that price (note: $300 if bought up-front with contract) it needed to also be a tablet (i.e. snap-on keyboard). Then I think you'd have something.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd buy a tablet long before I paid that much for a dock... Moto is gonna eat that price point.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd buy a tablet long before I paid that much for a dock... Moto is gonna eat that price point.

$300 is sort of the low-end for netbooks, but that dock isn't nearly as good as netbooks. It's pretty much only going to run firefox. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't that have a plain 'ol docking station that you can hook-up an lcd screen and keyboard too?

Like I've said all along, more of a gimmick/novelty. Exciting for the future, but that's a joke. Could be more marketing, a 1st gen thing they don't expect to sell much of (hence the high price point). The 3-in-1 device is where it's at - we have or will see tablets with a detachable keyboard that converts them into a netbook, which is something I'd definitely pay for (once the phones have enough guts to power more than just browsing)