New Soak Test for Motorola Droid Bionic?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid_bionic_main_super.png

Some of our Members that have the Motorola Droid Bionic received an intriguing looking email recently. Obviously it looks like a soak test for the Bionic's next update is likely coming. The question is: will this be just an incremental update with some bug fixes and feature enhancements, or will it be Ice Cream Sandwich? Fairly soon we may know. Here's the email in a quote,

Hi,

Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are inviting owners of the Motorola Bionic on Verizon to participate in an early preview of a new software release, and provide feedback.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey if you wish to take part. Please note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners' Forums to be included. Due to the size of the Bionic membership within the MFN, we will limit this to 1,000 participants, drawn at random from the qualified applicants.

This is a confidential test under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this on any public sites.

Thanks -- please understand that start times are always fluid. We ask for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.

- Matt
Motorola Owners' Forums
Motorola Feedback Network

Updated: I accidentally had the old version Droid Bionic as the previous pic, and have since edited it to the correct version.

Source: BionicForums.net

Last edited:

Tonik

Reaction score
I just got the email 12 minutes ago, I do hope that it is ICS.

Not a chance, way too soon. It will take months and months for VZ to add and test their bloatware with ICS. Moto is focused on the remaining data drop issues. It will be the 901 update with some added VZ bloatware. That is my bet.

Reaction score
Good news for the Bionic! (So what phone is that pictured above)?! ;)

That would be the bionic before it underwent serious design changes.

I kind of wish we ended up with that phone. I liked how it looked

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
That would be the bionic before it underwent serious design changes.

I kind of wish we ended up with that phone. I liked how it looked

Yes, but that design was based on the Tegra 2 chipset (XT865 Etna). We have a better chipset in our PowerVR based version.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good news for the Bionic! (So what phone is that pictured above)?! ;)

Oops. I grabbed the wrong pic. Thanks for keeping me on my toes! Will edit now.

Reaction score
Yes, but that design was based on the Tegra 2 chipset (XT865 Etna). We have a better chipset in our PowerVR based version.

Ya I'm happy with our internals but the case on the old one was so much better. I don't like how similar ours looks to the Droid X.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

We also got 1GB of RAM instead of 512.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm happy with our internals but the case on the old one was so much better. I don't like how similar ours looks to the Droid X.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I actually like it, because it resembles my OG Droid in a way.

djembeman

Reaction score
Got an invite!

So I got an invitation to sign up for a soak test on Sunday that me led to a questionnaire that told me that in order to participate I'd have to return my phone to non-rooted stock. I'm traveling this week and had to opt out, 'cause I won't be able to mess with my phone.

Should the fact that my phone is rooted have prevented me from participating? Should I have tried anyway?

I'm just looking for an update to the WebTop App that will allow me to use the Webcam, VGA and Wired Ethernet port on the LapDock 500.

Tonik

Reaction score
Should the fact that my phone is rooted have prevented me from participating? Should I have tried anyway?

Moto asks that you unroot and go back to stock so they have a known control group for the testing. If you are rooted but still stock...no deleted apps and so on you would have gotten the update just fine. You would have run the risk of losing root depending upon how you are rooted. You have not lost much by declining, if there are no MAJOR issues with the soak test the update will start rolling to everyone else later this week based upon past history.

Or, any minute now someone will post the update here for you to download.

mikespe

Reaction score
Moto asks that you unroot and go back to stock so they have a known control group for the testing. If you are rooted but still stock...no deleted apps and so on you would have gotten the update just fine. You would have run the risk of losing root depending upon how you are rooted. You have not lost much by declining, if there are no MAJOR issues with the soak test the update will start rolling to everyone else later this week based upon past history.

Or, any minute now someone will post the update here for you to download.

I'm forever rooted & received the update fine...didn't lose root. But everything else is stock...all bloat still there.