Motorola Comfirms New Droid Keyboard

lmapp

Reaction score
I haven't felt this betrayed since Moto came out with the second StarTac. Scratch that...I was po'd when I heard about the Razor 2.

Damn you, Motorola! :icon_ devil:

Shel

Reaction score
No worries. Phone is still great and it only took a week to adjust to this keyboard. Can't wait for the update and flash player.

Seriously.

Wow, so Motorola is going to release a NEW, IMPROVED Droid?

Stop the presses!!! I thought this would be their last Android phone!!!

Come on. This phone rocks... I don't use the physical keyboard all that much, but it's still nice to have when I need it, and it works fine for me. I realize that doesn't mean it works fine for everyone, but overall this is a sweeeeet phone!

(Check out all of the complaints about the Nexus 1 having trouble connecting to G3... every phone has some issues... )

Battery life on the Droid is excellent, hardware works great, so yea, the keyboard isn't up to Blackberry standards, but everything else is works great.

Eli

Reaction score
ahhh...
I had just started a thread last week re droid 2.0.

I was holding off on the droid because of the keyboard and camera. I waited through CES to see if any announcements where made. Nothing. So I just bought my droid...

Guess I can return it in my 30 day window...

Deadamn323

Reaction score
the keyboard now doesn't bother me much. i find myself using it when replying on a email more than the on screen one.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
ahhh...

I was holding off on the droid because of the keyboard and camera. I waited through CES to see if any announcements where made. Nothing. So I just bought my droid...

Believe me, this isn't happening ANYTIME SOON. Keep your phone.

lmapp

Reaction score
ahhh...

Bad news...by the time you man-up and spring for the Droid 2, there will be prettier model juuuussst around the corner. Never fails.

Million

Reaction score
Why do people buy the Droid when they don't even use the keyboard???

Get the Eris or wait for the N1!

johfiner

Reaction score
that's good news for those that dislike the keyboard! also, like somebody else said, it shows motorola cares.

i happen to like the keyboard, but i'm in the minority on that one!

Eli

Reaction score
Bad news...by the time you man-up and spring for the Droid 2, there will be prettier model juuuussst around the corner. Never fails.

yes, but hopefully they would at least fix the major problems I have with the model I have/will have for 2 years. If its less the 6 months, I think its worth the wait for the new phone version, even if its droid 1.1.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My first droid I tried the keyboard a few times, but it's internet kept going out so I exchanged it, haven't even slid the new droid out to see the keyboard, the virtual keyboard is too amazing to use anything else. Took me a week or two to get real good at typing on the virtual but I'm in love already, I type paragraphs while everyone else sends me 3-5 word texts.

FoFa

Reaction score
I used the physical keyboard for anything past a password, and got used to it pretty quick. but now I have swype, I don't use anything else. i would like to see swype integrated with the OS quite frankly.

imiller913

Reaction score
the current keyboard gets the job done for me but use the onscreen ones the most.

Rocky

Reaction score

asmallchild

Reaction score
What's with all the anxiety? It's not like the article indicates this would be an imminent change. If you are fine with waiting 6 months for a possible keyboard upgrade, be my guest. I'd rather use the crap out of this phone and I'll be ready for an upgrade come Xmas 2010 anyway :)

qoncept

Reaction score
Anyone who has used some of the old HTC winmo phones has no problems with the keyboard. Use a xv/ppc6700 then whine about the kb.

I love how in your pocket is this marvel of tech and all people can do is whine because they don't have the feeling in their fingers/fat fingers and can't use the keyboard.

YOU knew what the kb was like when you bought the phone. No one put a gun to your head and made you buy it.

The keyboard is fine on this phone. Hell I'd go so far as to say that it's a close second to the i760, and that has the best keyboard of all time.
Pretty presumptuous of you to assume you know why people don't like the Droid keyboard (though I suppose I'm guilty of the same thing -- the keyboard sucks ass). Having only used one, I stupidly assumed all qwerty keyboards were created equal and didn't realize until using it for a couple days that it just wasn't getting any better.

I really don't get anyone defending this keyboard. Just because you like the phone doesnt mean you like to keyboard (see: me). Just because the keyboard works doesn't mean it's good.