Moto X Google Play Edition Coming Soon

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I think the Moto approach with the new Droid series is smart. Three phones based on 1 design - same electronic components, same firmware, same screen resolution. Let people decide if they want a smaller phone, a lower cost (relative to Maxx) phone with a larger screen or one with more memory and battery for those who need it. One basic design, with at least 50% of the design effort bridging across all 3. Cut the design cost. Even if one doesn't sell well, the cost to design loss will be minimal. Based on interest in the forums and reviews at various sellers for the RAZR series, I'm betting that the Mini and Maxx will be the winners.

Add to this the X sharing much of the design cost and that reduces the overhead on that below what it would otherwise be.

diesel97

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
moto x 2013
does the new droid lines (ultra ,maxx ,and mini ) have the same (as in new ) antenna as the moto x ? Does anybody know how much memory is used up in IU and how much is free to use ? I know its still early in the review stage but it cant hurt to ask

thanks

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
that just puts them in a 500m hole, on top of development, production, and customized assembly cost.
this phone needs to be a huge hit to offset all of that.

Marketing is the name of the game. It does more to move products than the absolute latest and greatest specs. Differentiated product + huge marketing campaign = big winner.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am liking the notification . But I do not think real world it will be practical along with active search as it requires your device not have a secure lock. I do not know too many people who runs around with their phone unlocked especially for a phone that is a daily driver. Interesting to see if any reviews address that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am liking the notification . But I do not think real world it will be practical along with active search as it requires your device not have a secure lock. I do not know too many people who runs around with their phone unlocked especially for a phone that is a daily driver. Interesting to see if any reviews address that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But it's useful for home and work where you might not lock your phone. Profiles or Locale/Tasker could be set to enable your security lock away from home and work (and presumably disable notifications). Or combined with a face or voice unlock and it should be almost seamless.

Or you could live dangerously and just not put any lock on your phone. Avoid putting overly sensitive banking/financial data on your phone and just rely on Google's new ability to remote wipe/locate a lost or stolen device.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or a bluetooth trusted device which will keep your device unlocked while you are in proximity. AKA smart watch, Google Glass, bluetooth headset

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Or you could live dangerously and just not put any lock on your phone. Avoid putting overly sensitive banking/financial data on your phone and just rely on Google's new ability to remote wipe/locate a lost or stolen device.

That works until you panicking trying to remember where you left your phone.

But yes if it works seamlessly with secure locks then that would be awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The app has a sleep and battery friendly mode (if you pay the $.99 ). Again I have not put it through a full days pace as my gnexus is on vzw and I am no longer a vzw customer. I mainly use my gnex as like a home phone/ ipod..excuse my bearing I mean Nexus Touch.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can not believe this was almost 4 months ago I am resurrecting this thread to look at a discussion had and now get the feel of the community now that we have all the phone of 2013 on the market. I must admit I am surprised at the love the motorola x have gotten across the community (example: The best Android phone you can buy, as of November 2013 | Android Central) .

Now knowing what you know now rank your top 5 phones of the year.