Moto X and Droid MAXX Developer Editions Available Now

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Sep 19, 2013.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,464
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    [​IMG]

We're a little bit late to the party with this one, but in case you missed it, Motorola has made good on their promise to release a Dev Edition Moto X. This handset will set you back 649 bones, is packed with 32GB of on board storage, and the ability to unlock the bootloader. The Moto X Dev Edition is currently available on Verizon. As a side note the X (Dev Edition) for AT&T and T-Mobile still has a “coming soon” label, but should start shipping in a few days. You will lose the ability to customize the color choices when the handset ships on AT&T and T-Mobile (Verizon never had that option). The GSM Moto X Developer Editions are only available with black front and white back plates.

If you've been holding out for the Droid MAXX Dev Edition wait no longer. You can snatch this handset up today as well. You'll still have to kick out $649.00 for it, but that's the price you pay for a totally open Droid branded handset on Big Red's network. So who is picking up either of these Developer Edition handsets? Hopefully we won't hear any crickets.

• Like Like x 3
  2. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm hoping that when I'm able to get a new phone it will be one of these two. And seeing as how you can't customize the X Dev Edition, the better choice would be the MAXX. You get everything the Moto X offers plus a big battery.

3. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +456
    Put my HD up for sale last night when I saw these were released. Excited about them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Already sold out on Moto site too!

5. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    I called Verizon customer service yesterday just to see if it would come up on their computers. It didn't.

6. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I can't imagine paying 650 for the dev moto x. IMO, if you are buying the dev edition you plan on running a custom rom which won't be able to take advantage of the hardware. Now you paid way to much for a mid tier phone. Personally, I'd spend my money on the s4.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    It's the same price as the non-developer edition, isn't it? (plus, I think it has 32GB memory, which I don't think is available yet from Verizon)

8. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +456
    Yea, the whole reason I'm buying the Dev edition (when it comes back in stock GRRR) is because I'm not due for an upgrade... So I would have to pay full price anyway for any phone.

9. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,809
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    Dev edition of the MAXX when I sell the S4 and accessories! S4 is a nice phone, but I miss the Moto build and radios. Can't stand not having 4G in my home anymore, or having almost no WIFI signal in the bedroom. Also, I'm now dropping calls in a gully where the trolley crosses on a road that I haven't dropped calls on for over 4 years...all on Moto phones, but now Sammy can't keep up.

Also, my Sammy battery is right now at 2%. I charged fully overnight last night, unplugged this morning (actually the morning of September 26), and it's basically dead after 16 hours. That's GOOD for what I've been experiencing lately. It would often die around 6:00pm or so, but I've removed ALL apps that run in the background - apps I normally ran without a problem on the RAZR MAXX, just to keep it live till bedtime.

I now keep WIFI off, shut Bluetooth off when I can, and basically use it as a phone, texts, a little email and little data or web, if at all. That's NOT what I pay a data plan for, or what I want this device to do for me.

Great camera, some neat features, but it just doesn't hang where it counts...phone service, data service, wifi and battery.

• Like Like x 2
  10. alafferty82081

Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like you just got a bad s4 cause I have none of those issues, I get on average 23-26 hours with heavy use daily, and call quality has been fantastic as well as 4 g and I live in the boonies...west Jefferson to be precise...and how long does it take to switch out a battery anyway?

11. xeene

xeene Silver Member

Ratings:
    +752
    switching batteries is not practical. you can live in the boonies and have a cell tower in your neighbor's yard, which will make all of the above listed problem none existent. but if you live several miles from a tower, forget about signal and battery life as one will kill the other.

• Like Like x 2
  12. alafferty82081

Ratings:
    +6
    Having no exspandable storage is not practical, and I live 37 miles from the nearest tower, the closest is in boone n.c I live in Jefferson n.c...and awhat happens if your battery IS defective , but you realize it after your 14 day return/ exchange policy...so much for just replacing the battery and now you get a refub to replace a brand new phone .....best of luck ....

Search tags for this page

andad2g gams

droid maxx developer edition date

droid maxx features

moto x developer vs droid maxx developer

razr maxx developer edition vs moto x developer edition

verizon moto maxx developer options