Moto X Google Play Edition Coming Soon

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
True but only Verizon peeps have the choices to make..I'd personally take only a Maxx out of any...I'm so spoiled with this N2 I would not settle for less battery wise..

N2 tap'd HD

thats kinda why i was hoping for a $3-400 price tag over $5-600+
my rmhd battery is awesome, and i was just looking for another toy, not an every day driver.

i cant justify the maxx, for me it would just be like same phone, new hardware.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's the price of all top tier Android handsets. It's not like the X is selling for $350-400 on contract. Off contract it's competitive with all the other handsets (One, S4, Ultra etc etc)

I'm just ONE person on ONE carrier. The X is available across all carriers, so to say that it will flop or people won't buy it this early in the game is a gross misstep in my opinion. There's still an advertising campaign to go through and the handset hasn't even hit the streets just yet. The "geeks" aren't going to buy this phone. I get that and understand it, but your average consumer is not a "geek" and that's who this phone is geared towards. The "geeks" aren't going to pull Moto out of this giant sink hole they are in. They need the average consumer to do that. Question is, will that happen? Don't know, but with a phone available across all carriers, extensive customization options, accessories galore on Day 1 and a smart effective advertising campaign they just may have a chance. We'll see....

I will say this. If I had an upgrade (keeping in mind the Droid ultras have the same MX8 processors) if I was to choose a motorola device this would be my order of preference.

1) Droid Ultra Maxx
2) Motorola X (bigger battery than the ultra)
3) Droid Ulta
4) Droid Mini

My point being that specs wise if I wanted a motorola device and I was not going to get the Maxx the X would be the next best option in my opinion.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/02/comparison-moto-x-vs-droid-ultra-vs-droid-maxx-vs-droid-mini/

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
They are essentially the same device offered with a few different screens sizes.

that's basically what i was saying, they are either stupid for releasing too many phones at once (regardless of size etc), or there brilliant for trying to corner the market.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
that's basically what i was saying, they are either stupid for releasing too many phones at once (regardless of size etc), or there brilliant for trying to corner the market.

I think that may be more VZW, though. It's not uncommon to see very similar devices with only minor differences offered as "exclusives" on different carriers. What might be a bit odd is that VZW will also get the X. Why not just call the Maxx the "Droid X". Oh, that's right...branding fail.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
thats kinda why i was hoping for a $3-400 price tag over $5-600+
my rmhd battery is awesome, and i was just looking for another toy, not an every day driver.

i cant justify the maxx, for me it would just be like same phone, new hardware.

I always seem to justify it somehow Lmao
Just like I'm sure when that n3 hits the market...hehe

I will say this. If I had an upgrade (keeping in mind the Droid ultras have the same MX8 processors) if I was to choose a motorola device this would be my order of preference.

1) Droid Ultra Maxx
2) Motorola X (bigger battery than the ultra)
3) Droid Ulta
4) Droid Mini

My point being that specs wise if I wanted a motorola device and I was not going to get the Maxx the X would be the next best option in my opinion.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/02/comparison-moto-x-vs-droid-ultra-vs-droid-maxx-vs-droid-mini/

Droid ultra maxx for sure...
Maybe I will get one of these phones for the 14 day period to run it thru the paces..

I like the options it's the way to go..look at what Samsung is doing and now HTC as well...

N2 tap'd HD

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think that may be more VZW, though. It's not uncommon to see very similar devices with only minor differences offered as "exclusives" on different carriers. What might be a bit odd is that VZW will also get the X. Why not just call the Maxx the "Droid X". Oh, that's right...branding fail.

This is my other concern about the X. The Droid is vzw's brand so you know they going to have reps push it and push it hard. I do not see how a customers is going to be able to walk out the store with a x because the moment they get to the register the rep will break out a Droid and show how it "offer the same thing but better". This is partly why I think motorola should have appealed to the "geeks". Even though it was not built for geeks they appeal to the geeks and the x is getting hyped up and sold by word of mouth vs depending on ads by google which in my opinion will not be enough to sell.

On another note I really do like the customizations and it would be cool if motorola and hopefully google does it with nexus devices in the future.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;vag3H1ffpxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vag3H1ffpxI[/video]

reviews are starting to roll out. I am currently checking this one out as I type this.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
10 minutes into the review. I am digging assist and a couple of the software integrations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...depending on ads by google which in my opinion will not be enough to sell.

Google has 500M reasons you'll be wrong. To call that a MASSIVE ad campaign is understating it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just finished watching the review, First off I feel it was a pretty fair review though I will look forward to others to see what the overall opinion of the devices is.

1) I was impressed with the performance as far as navigation. For a "dual core" it seemed to perform quite well with navigation, web browsing, and over all use based on what I saw from the video.

2) As i said earlier, I liked the assist and other motorola software integrations. Think it brings integration that is actually useful to the user.

3) Was surprised with the camera thought it would have been something Motorola truly improved on. Again I will have to wait for more reviews to truly judge it as a short coming.

Overall the device seemed to perform better than I thought though I still can not personally see choosing it over my n2. Still it is not a device that I feel a customer would get robbed if they bought it on a 2 yr deal. Though I still would have loved to see it at a better pricing point I could see a person making the choice to buy this device especially taking in the customization options.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
another review

[video=youtube;ij2TGQXJ5kM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij2TGQXJ5kM[/video]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
review of the gaming performance. I am currently viewing this one as I type.

[video=youtube;COG8-ok3Jv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COG8-ok3Jv8[/video]

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I like the options it's the way to go..look at what Samsung is doing and now HTC as well...

N2 tap'd HD

the options are good for us, just doesn't make sense for them. seems like if they saturate the market too much, with whatever, most people will gravitate to the more popular models, which will leave a few models as a flop from a business stand point.
i think if they all try to over saturate the market in competing with each other, they will all loose on the bottom line in sales versus cost.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the options are good for us, just doesn't make sense for them. seems like if they saturate the market too much, with whatever, most people will gravitate to the more popular models, which will leave a few models as a flop from a business stand point.
i think if they all try to over saturate the market in competing with each other, they will all loose on the bottom line in sales versus cost.

HTC and I believe the other oems are catching on to that. Instead of flooding the market with 20 devices a year and causing the market prices for devices to drop, they need to release one high end phone, a mid device, a low end device.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Google has 500M reasons you'll be wrong. To call that a MASSIVE ad campaign is understating it.

that just puts them in a 500m hole, on top of development, production, and customized assembly cost.
this phone needs to be a huge hit to offset all of that.