Moto X and Droid MAXX Developer Editions Available Now

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been comparing samsung vs moto radios for almost two years all across our state as my wife has maxx while I have nexus and we travel together all the time. Often times I rely on her hot spot to have any connection because samsung just sucks in this department plain and simple.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Foxkat as usual Is right. At home I get 24-36hrs easy but at work due to a weak signal I only get 10-12 hours.
I did an experiment the other day by turning off mobile data and only used 2% per hour! My battery app projected 40 hour life.

ejyde3aj.jpg

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

mykl376

Reaction score
What would cause more interference, a power substation or a large antenna? Where I work, there are both within 100-150 yards from the building. My phone (Bionic) switches between 3g and 4g, with more time in 3g. If I drive a half mile away, my 4g signal is solid. I also notice the FM radio gets static and interference when I get closer to the building.

ForumRunner_20130928_115758.png

ForumRunner_20130928_115826.png

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's too much logic in this thread. Someone start typing vitriol at someone else and lets get these interwebs back as they should be.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What would cause more interference, a power substation or a large antenna? Where I work, there are both within 100-150 yards from the building. My phone (Bionic) switches between 3g and 4g, with more time in 3g. If I drive a half mile away, my 4g signal is solid. I also notice the FM radio gets static and interference when I get closer to the building.

View attachment 66612

View attachment 66613

Although any metal structures nearby can both block and reflect signal, effectively preventing or severely diminishing the signal from reaching your phone. If I had to guess which would be a more severe impact, I'd have to side with the substation. The antenna tower will block some signal that is within a line of sight of the cellular towers, but will produce little if any interference. However power substations have LARGE transformers - essentially HUGE coils with current running through them which create not only electromagnetic radiation, but also radio frequency radiation through harmonics of the 60Hz alternating current. This can create terrible disruption to radio frequency communications.

Not only that but the number of wires running into and out of the substation also create a sort of "net" reflector of the signal and since they travel from several different directions and essentially merge at the substation, the net effect (no pun intended), gets worse as you near the actual substation. Just look at it this way, if there is sky that is blocked or criss-crossed by wires then you can assume that it will have a diminishing effect. With the antenna tower, it will only be a relatively narrow area from a horizontal perspective that will impact radio frequency communications, but the substation and wires affect a wide area from a horizontal perspective, and most of it near ground level.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Also you should expect less battery performance when WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth is on all day...

He's my usage with very heavy use and WiFi on 24-7,

View attachment 66622

I agree that battery usage will be higher with GPS, WIFI and Bluetooth on all day, however that is exactly how I used to run with the Droid RAZR MAXX, and I never had battery issues like I'm experiencing with this phone. By the way, my SGS4 died this evening at around 6:45PM. It is on the charger and is charging from a full automatic shut-down at 0%. I did manage to take screen shots of the battery when it was at somewhere around 2%, and I will post into this posting once I power it back up.

pymajebe.jpg

As you can see, I didn't even have WIFI running the bulk of the time, and GPS shows no use either. What is interesting is the "Awake" times are very short but there is quite a number of them and I'm not running anything in the background.

3eve9y4u.jpg

The screen time is very short (as you can see below), and the call time (missed that screen before it shut down), was only little more than an hour as well.

4y8uhy5u.jpg

Also, do you see the SmartStay icon? It won't go off, even though I have Both Smart features turned off. I am THIS close to doing an FDR, but dread it because I have Exchange email, Remote access and several email accounts that I'll have to set up again manually. UGH!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Got my order in for the Dev X yesterday while it was still in stock.... Excited to get it.