Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Larry_ThaGr81, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great so we have eFuse. The Droid X bootloader is encrypted so eFuse aside a 1024 bit encryption of the bootloader will never be cracked. The only way is if the private keys are leaked. Plain and simple.

2. killabyte

killabyte Guest

Ratings:
    +0

alright last one for me cause this is pointless. is it not the main purpose of that phone to interact with their network? if it bricks the phone tampering with it well, sucks yea but i'd consider it a defense mechanism. it lets them know it was being tampered with, keeps it off the network, etc - hell i don't know, you're asking me to defend their actions on that one and it hasn't even happened yet. until the possibility becomes actuality it's just a distraction so i'd rather not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  3. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How am I stealing tethering? Please explain this to me. Tethering is a software function that allows the device to act as an internet gateway. Now data is data. I have a 5GB cap on my "unlimited" plan. If I stream CBS.COM on my Droid or stream it to my laptop while tethered the data remains static but the endpoint is different. So long as I do not go above and beyond 5GB and remain within the bounds of fair use where is stealing? Wireless carriers in the US are gouging the hell out of their customers and need to see a courtroom soon. This whole tethering thing is a scam, plain and simple.

4. killabyte

killabyte Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i'd call it stealing because they can't bill you for it. but the rest of your post is spot on. i'm saying look at it from THEIR perspective - the greedy corporate one - not from the one that makes sense which would be yours.

5. Dmoralize

Dmoralize Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be clear, tethering is not stealing. You are breaking your terms of service but you are not stealing. By selling you an unlimited data plan they are saying that you could theoretically max out your bandwidth for the entire month without incurring extra charges. If you tether a device to your phone, you aren't getting "extra" bandwidth, you're simply using the same bandwidth just on a different device. There is no added stress on their network. The reason they charge extra for tethering is because any corporation owes it to their shareholders to maximize revenue. By pretending they are offering you some extra service, they charge you more and this increases revenue.

If they ever claim that you are paying extra because tethering somehow places extra stress on their network, then they shouldn't have sold you unlimited data in the first place. Maxing out your connection on the phone or a tethered device results in the exact same amount of data usage. You aren't stealing anything.

I know that's a bit off topic, but it's all just excuses that corporations make so they can cover their ass for overselling their network. Bottom line, Motorola and Verizon are within their rights to lock the phone down... but it definitely will make me look at other devices when it comes time to upgrade.

6. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which is why all U.S. carriers need to see a courtroom soon and get their asses handed to them.

7. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow they are crazy! glad i still have my epic droid

8. clucernoni

clucernoni Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You would think that they would realize that the reason the Droid did so well is because of the hype that was built by communities like this, gizmodo, phandroid...etc.without those communities actively trying to improve the experience on that phone, the hype will be much less and therefore the phone less successful.

9. oshizo

oshizo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I'll be waiting.. no x for me.

10. erikfig

erikfig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hell no! I hate Spring, in case you guys don't know. Verizon will carry the Iphone on 2011.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    It may take a while, but I'm pretty sure it'll be rooted. Look at the iPhone, it's built like Fort Knox to prevent an owner getting inside and it's been done.

12. crazyjoker2

crazyjoker2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    People's ability and knowledge on this and other forums will no doubt be able to crack the X. It will only take time!! the X is :motdroidvert: and when someone figures it out dancedroid I wonder how fast it can be overclocked? :)

13. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Root is nice. What the problem is is that the bootloader is signed and encrypted. Which means no custom Kernels / ROMs.

14. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Read the latest off of DL.

I said this wasn't as dire as the panickers made out, and I'm likely right.

15. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's speculation right now. There is no proof one way or the other and until it bricks or doesn't brick we won't know.