Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

Darkseider

Reaction score
K

killabyte

Actually, your car analogy is silly. A more apt one would be a situation where if you TRIED to put a turbo on your Vette, an element of GM's design would recognize that you'd added a turbo and deliberately seize the engine and set the tires on fire.

It's fine to void the warranty if you screw around with something in non-approved ways, but deliberately breaking the device BECAUSE you're trying to customize is BS.

once more i agree. first off comparing to cars is just stupid so let's stop that. the bigger picture is that someone somewhere has to deal with this stuff whether it be tech support, warranty, etc. they have the right to lock the device down. they're not twisting anyone's arm to buy it.

like it or not, you pay a monthly fee to whatever carrier and since your device interacts with their network that unfortunately gives them some say so in what you can and can't do with it. sucks? yea it does. nothing you can do about it though. either buy it and be happy or don't, like back n black said.
You are somewhat contradicting the point you were trying to support in that last paragraph. Like you said, the device interacts with the network, so they have a right to say what you can and can't do...as far as network interaction goes. It's completely ridiculous to BRICK a phone. Kick it off of a network?...sure that makes sense, but brick the phone and render it useless because someone was messing with it? That is way way too far. It doesn't hurt anyone if I mess with my phone as long as it isn't on the network since my warranty is voided. Why break it?

alright last one for me cause this is pointless. is it not the main purpose of that phone to interact with their network? if it bricks the phone tampering with it well, sucks yea but i'd consider it a defense mechanism. it lets them know it was being tampered with, keeps it off the network, etc - hell i don't know, you're asking me to defend their actions on that one and it hasn't even happened yet. until the possibility becomes actuality it's just a distraction so i'd rather not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkseider

Reaction score
once more i agree. first off comparing to cars is just stupid so let's stop that. the bigger picture is that someone somewhere has to deal with this stuff whether it be tech support, warranty, etc. they have the right to lock the device down. they're not twisting anyone's arm to buy it.

like it or not, you pay a monthly fee to whatever carrier and since your device interacts with their network that unfortunately gives them some say so in what you can and can't do with it. sucks? yea it does. nothing you can do about it though. either buy it and be happy or don't, like back n black said.

Carrier my ass. I pay a monthly fee for internet service. Does that mean they can dictate what OS I can run on my PC? The carrier is just that a means to an end. They provide a pipe that transfers data from point A to point B. They have no right to dictate what device I use on their network so long as I pay for service in a timely manner. PERIOD.

oh ok then man, go ahead and tether that droid to your laptop and get online but oh wait... what's that? you didn't pay them for that so you're technically stealing it... hmm could this be some of the backlash of rooting and custom roms they are trying to cover their asses on?

look guys I'M ON YOUR SIDE damn it but use logic and common sense here. nobody liked it when microsoft blew the efuse in the 360 so you couldn't use an exploit to install a custom dashboard. 5 months and 2 million tears and internet posts later guess what? nothing has changed.

was it unfair? yes. did they have the right to do it? well yea, actually they did. what they did didn't alter the functionality of the 360 in any way shape or form that it was advertised to function.

same with the X. get over it already. hell no one has even bricked one yet from trying and everyone's ovaries are already tied in a knot.

How am I stealing tethering? Please explain this to me. Tethering is a software function that allows the device to act as an internet gateway. Now data is data. I have a 5GB cap on my "unlimited" plan. If I stream CBS.COM on my Droid or stream it to my laptop while tethered the data remains static but the endpoint is different. So long as I do not go above and beyond 5GB and remain within the bounds of fair use where is stealing? Wireless carriers in the US are gouging the hell out of their customers and need to see a courtroom soon. This whole tethering thing is a scam, plain and simple.

K

killabyte

i'd call it stealing because they can't bill you for it. but the rest of your post is spot on. i'm saying look at it from THEIR perspective - the greedy corporate one - not from the one that makes sense which would be yours.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
oh ok then man, go ahead and tether that droid to your laptop and get online but oh wait... what's that? you didn't pay them for that so you're technically stealing it... hmm could this be some of the backlash of rooting and custom roms they are trying to cover their asses on?

To be clear, tethering is not stealing. You are breaking your terms of service but you are not stealing. By selling you an unlimited data plan they are saying that you could theoretically max out your bandwidth for the entire month without incurring extra charges. If you tether a device to your phone, you aren't getting "extra" bandwidth, you're simply using the same bandwidth just on a different device. There is no added stress on their network. The reason they charge extra for tethering is because any corporation owes it to their shareholders to maximize revenue. By pretending they are offering you some extra service, they charge you more and this increases revenue.

If they ever claim that you are paying extra because tethering somehow places extra stress on their network, then they shouldn't have sold you unlimited data in the first place. Maxing out your connection on the phone or a tethered device results in the exact same amount of data usage. You aren't stealing anything.

I know that's a bit off topic, but it's all just excuses that corporations make so they can cover their ass for overselling their network. Bottom line, Motorola and Verizon are within their rights to lock the phone down... but it definitely will make me look at other devices when it comes time to upgrade.

Darkseider

Reaction score
i'd call it stealing because they can't bill you for it. but the rest of your post is spot on. i'm saying look at it from THEIR perspective - the greedy corporate one - not from the one that makes sense which would be yours.

Which is why all U.S. carriers need to see a courtroom soon and get their asses handed to them.

clucernoni

Reaction score
You would think that they would realize that the reason the Droid did so well is because of the hype that was built by communities like this, gizmodo, phandroid...etc.without those communities actively trying to improve the experience on that phone, the hype will be much less and therefore the phone less successful.

erikfig

Reaction score
Hell no! I hate Spring, in case you guys don't know. Verizon will carry the Iphone on 2011.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It may take a while, but I'm pretty sure it'll be rooted. Look at the iPhone, it's built like Fort Knox to prevent an owner getting inside and it's been done.

crazyjoker2

Reaction score
People's ability and knowledge on this and other forums will no doubt be able to crack the X. It will only take time!! the X is :motdroidvert: and when someone figures it out dancedroid I wonder how fast it can be overclocked? :)

Darkseider

Reaction score
People's ability and knowledge on this and other forums will no doubt be able to crack the X. It will only take time!! the X is :motdroidvert: and when someone figures it out dancedroid I wonder how fast it can be overclocked? :)

Root is nice. What the problem is is that the bootloader is signed and encrypted. Which means no custom Kernels / ROMs.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read the latest off of DL.

I said this wasn't as dire as the panickers made out, and I'm likely right.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Read the latest off of DL.

I said this wasn't as dire as the panickers made out, and I'm likely right.

It's speculation right now. There is no proof one way or the other and until it bricks or doesn't brick we won't know.