Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

ewells2420

Reaction score
Not a big deal to me. Im pretty sure some cracking genious will figure it out if there is enough support to do so. Or if not, whatever as I cant say I will terribly miss any apps for rooted only.

And in any case I still have my droid. I purchased my X today, should be here tomorrow.

bishoy

Reaction score
And enjoy that limitation on data - and the lightning fast EDGE network.

Well, technically, the limitation on data isnt a problem. Since its so slow, im not sure if you could go over 2GB.... it would take you longer than one billing cycle :p

K

killabyte

Wow overreact much? You're getting what you pay for when you buy one... there's no rule that says it has to be unlockable. You're not entitled to custom roms or overclocking either. Does it break the functionality of the phone? No, not by a long shot. I'll agree that they're only hurting themselves in the long run by doing this but the comparison to Apple is a bit much.

It's nice being able to load custom roms and "tinker" with your phone but correct me if i'm wrong - has that EVER been an advertised feature on any Android based phone? I haven't seen a single ad for the X that said unlockable or has the ability to load custom roms. Don't get me wrong - I think they SHOULD use it as a selling point. There's definitely a community for this (obviously) and these phones have the ability to knock the iTurd right out off the map.

Android being based on open source doesn't mean you are "entitled" to all this stuff. People really need to check that sense of entitlement and get a grip.

delcopa

Reaction score
Wow overreact much? You're getting what you pay for when you buy one... there's no rule that says it has to be unlockable. You're not entitled to custom roms or overclocking either. Does it break the functionality of the phone? No, not by a long shot. I'll agree that they're only hurting themselves in the long run by doing this but the comparison to Apple is a bit much.

It's nice being able to load custom roms and "tinker" with your phone but correct me if i'm wrong - has that EVER been an advertised feature on any Android based phone? I haven't seen a single ad for the X that said unlockable or has the ability to load custom roms. Don't get me wrong - I think they SHOULD use it as a selling point. There's definitely a community for this (obviously) and these phones have the ability to knock the iTurd right out off the map.

Android being based on open source doesn't mean you are "entitled" to all this stuff. People really need to check that sense of entitlement and get a grip.

See thats where alot of people disagree....How would you like to own a PC that you buy with a MS OS on it but then can only install programs that are made by Microsoft. You buy the PC the hardware and you can do what you want with it. The same is with phones you are buying the hardware it is YOURS you don't return it when you buy another phone it is your property. Yes I have a work phone and yes it is a Blackberry and yes they have it locked down to what you can and can't do but guess what I don't care they paid for the phone, they pay for the service they pay for all costs so they can decide what I can and can't do with it.

If Verizon, Motorola wants control on the phone then we shouldn't have to pay for it and rent the phone and then it becomes thier property and they can have it back when you rent another one or cancel. But until then if your paying for the phone it becomes yours and you should be able to do what you want with the hardware. I for one don't want to have PC's locked down like phones where you can only do what the OS manufactor wants you to do and at this point phones are costing more then PC's. But hey maybe they should lock down your car if you purchase anything but the gas they tell you too lol....

You buy it then it is yours do what you want with it no one puts up with this from any other vendor then cell. Hell MS got suied and lost cause it didn't give the option to uninstall IE.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I doubt that either Motorola or Verizon care about the relatively few people who would not buy the phone because of this. I would bet that less than 1% of people who buy the phone would even think about rooting it. Besides, if they can cause the phone to brick when trying to root then they can also tell that you tried and refuse to replace it under the standard 1 year warranty. This might be the main reason why they would do that.

JCo352

Reaction score

See thats where alot of people disagree....How would you like to own a PC that you buy with a MS OS on it but then can only install programs that are made by Microsoft. You buy the PC the hardware and you can do what you want with it. The same is with phones you are buying the hardware it is YOURS you don't return it when you buy another phone it is your property. Yes I have a work phone and yes it is a Blackberry and yes they have it locked down to what you can and can't do but guess what I don't care they paid for the phone, they pay for the service they pay for all costs so they can decide what I can and can't do with it.

If Verizon, Motorola wants control on the phone then we shouldn't have to pay for it and rent the phone and then it becomes thier property and they can have it back when you rent another one or cancel. But until then if your paying for the phone it becomes yours and you should be able to do what you want with the hardware. I for one don't want to have PC's locked down like phones where you can only do what the OS manufactor wants you to do and at this point phones are costing more then PC's. But hey maybe they should lock down your car if you purchase anything but the gas they tell you too lol....

You buy it then it is yours do what you want with it no one puts up with this from any other vendor then cell. Hell MS got suied and lost cause it didn't give the option to uninstall IE.

I'm pretty sure the Marketplace is full of third party apps, that can still be installed without root.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I doubt that either Motorola or Verizon care about the relatively few people who would not buy the phone because of this. I would bet that less than 1% of people who buy the phone would even think about rooting it. Besides, if they can cause the phone to brick when trying to root then they can also tell that you tried and refuse to replace it under the standard 1 year warranty. This might be the main reason why they would do that.

To date there hasn't been a single report of a bricked Droid due to rooting. You are also right in your statement that Motorola and Verizon don't care about the people who like to tinker with their devices. This is why there are other manufacturers like Samsung with their Galaxy S line that is fully rooted already. There are also other carriers. I am not loyal to any company, especially if their ultimate goal is control and forced obsolescence through the inability to fully control the hardware and software that I paid for.

K

killabyte

I'm pretty sure the Marketplace is full of third party apps, that can still be installed without root.

hahaha excellent point man, well said.

brando56894

Reaction score
I just read this over on phandroid and I think its a really poor business move for them, they know at least 10% (wild guess) of android users are into rooting, hell thats what the droid is popular for (besides the keyboard). If moto keeps doing stuff like this and the new bootloader isnt broken by the time my upgrade comes around (in about a year) Im going to another manufacturer.

To date there hasn't been a single report of a bricked Droid due to rooting.

Im pretty sure he's talking about the X when he refers to bricking, hence there would be no reports about it, so your point it null :p

ewells2420

Reaction score

Technically the phone is 100% yours after you sign the contract for service. You pay the $$ for the phone (like $199 or whatever) and agree to stay with verizon for 2 years or pay a termination fee.

So you really arnt ever "paying for the phone". If you have it, you paid for it.

huskur

Reaction score
They can say whatever they want about their business reasons. I would definitely have upgraded, but there's no way I'm buying a phone I won't be able to overclock. None. This is NOT Motorolla's doing, btw. This is Verizon. They twisted Skype's arm, and now their hardware vendor. Other hardware vendors will follow. I may got to Sprint over this.

How is this Verizon's fault, if there are other Motorola phones, on other carriers, with locked bootloaders?

Also, likely in this case that the carriers want them locked down to cut down on "support issues" that will come with this. Which naturally they will not support.

hailtothetheif83

Reaction score
Damn!! Talk about Moto shooting them selfs in the foot... Yes granted the phone is an awesome one rooted or not but the Droid and the huge root community it has it what brought Moto back from the brink and now they lock this thing down like this!?!?!

Glad my alarm clock didn't work so I could read this before I could go pick one up at the VZW store. Was planning on being there early too to get one. Will be sticking with my Droid1 until the "next best thing" comes out

That Samsung Fascinate is looking better and better by the minute!!!

Last edited:

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If this continues then Android as a platform will never reach true dominance of the smartphone world. The fact that Motorola is doing this is completely ignorant in that they fail to realize what has made the droid so successful, the rooting community.

K

killabyte

Well I think dude covered the program/app aspect... as for the car analogy that's just silly man. Far too extreme in comparison BUT if you want to we can use that. Go buy a new Vette, or a Mustang or any other car, new, and start putting turbos, camshafts, heads, etc on it. Then ask them if it voids your warranty. I'll bet the answer is yes. Is it your car? Yup. Should you be able to do what you want? Yup. Can you? Yup. There's just consequences to be paid.

I see your point and I agree man - it's our phone and we should be able to load a custom rom on it. I'd be willing to bet the carriers are behind this, not M. Some suit or network engineer somewhere either has seen or thinks there's a chance that leaving that stuff wide open could compromise their network or integrity, somehow or some way. Whether it's possible or not i'm not interested in debating.

They're just covering their asses and trying to minimize any possible trouble in the future. We don't have to like it but we will have to live with it.

edit - huskur made a damn fine point about support staff having to deal with it. as a computer tech/repairman/it/whatever i really hate it when people have loaded window blinds or stardock or whatever that crap is called and the computer runs at a snails pace and all the options are backwards or worded differently. granted i haven't seen a theme yet that completely changed everything around but again, they are just covering their bases.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

killabyte

If this continues then Android as a platform will never reach true dominance of the smartphone world. The fact that Motorola is doing this is completely ignorant in that they fail to realize what has made the droid so successful, the rooting community.

I agree it's a step in the wrong direction but can you really pin all of the success of the droid on the ability to root it and load custom roms? C'mon man look at 90% of the posts here... most people can barely root their phone or load a custom rom.