Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

iPirate

Reaction score
I wish user's phones would brick when they made a DroidX thread

Briankbl

Reaction score
The ironic thing about all this... think about how many Verizon and Motorola employees have rooted Droids.

Darkseider

Reaction score
by rooting it and then using it on their network you're violating their TOS. I don't see how you can argue that you're not. if they wanted you to root it they'd let you. if it wasn't a violation of their TOS you wouldn't void your warranty by doing it. makes no sense that you're arguing that rooting it and then using verizon's network is not a TOS violation because "it's my phone and i can do what i want!"...sure you can. if you want to do it and not have service. feel free to take your phone apart and attach rocket packs to it, but dont expect verizon to sign you up for service.

your argument is great for a laugh, but really holds no substance. verizon can tell you what to do with your phone because you're using their service. it's like you taking the car that you own to a racetrack and then complaining that you can't do donuts on the grass. you simply cannot do things on someone else's property (see network) if they don't want you to. if you want to take your car to a deserted road and do donuts, feel free, the racetrack is not going to and cant stop you. simple as that.

My wifi is NOT their network, yet I won't be able to run my own software on my own network (see: verizon strong arming skype into disabling wifi). This is no different than when Sony decided to install rootkits on their laptops and destroyed their marketshare.

hey do me a favor...when you figure out how to get on YOUR network with wifi on your droid, without having a contract with verizon, please tell me, i'd be dying to know how to get completely free cell service.

or better yet, why dont you just cancel your verizon contract and use your wifi for free unlimited calls? let me know if that works.

i'll wait.

I do SipDroid and Google Voice. What about those that purchased the phone outright? What then? They still don't own it? What if they want to use it as a PMP only and through wifi? What then? Does Verizon or Motorola still dictate the terms and conditions?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Look guys!

Reality Check: Modding the DROID X may not lead to a bricked phone Boy Genius Report)

maybe posting the link like this will draw some attention lol

seriously, this is day 1

day 1

only day 1

everybody calm down lol

Theres an EFuse in the droids that most of us are using right now, at this very moment...and trust me, my droid is hacked from the top to the bottom. The only thing stock still on my phone is the dialer.

floyd

Reaction score
Texas Instrument's OMAP3 chip is on the Droid and many other popular phones too and has the eFuse capability. The new Droid X has an encrypted version of the bootloader similar to the GSM version of the Droid, the Milestone.

The backdoor brick option may likely be there if Motorizon wants to implement it.

I suspect the eFuse brick threat is greatly exaggerated. Android manufacturers and carriers would be fools not to let their geeky fans overclock and customize their phones.

Except for the evil marketing strategy to stop releasing software updates for EOL phones like they did with the G1, which is stock at android 1.6 unless you root. They want geeks to buy a new phone every year and pay a hefty ETF to boot.

Rooting can let you enjoy the latest version of android when they EOL your phone, making it's useful life far longer than they had calculated. That, and not hitting you up for tethering are their nightmares.

If they actually enable the eFuse brick thing, I suspect hackers will compromise the comparison database at MotoRizon and autobrick all phones lol.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Look guys!

Reality Check: Modding the DROID X may not lead to a bricked phone Boy Genius Report)

seriously, this is day 1

day 1

only day 1

everybody calm down lol

Theres an EFuse in the droids that most of us are using right now, at this very moment...and trust me, my droid is hacked from the top to the bottom. The only thing stock still on my phone is the dialer.

I already posted this right above you lol......

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wifi is NOT their network, yet I won't be able to run my own software on my own network (see: verizon strong arming skype into disabling wifi). This is no different than when Sony decided to install rootkits on their laptops and destroyed their marketshare.

hey do me a favor...when you figure out how to get on YOUR network with wifi on your droid, without having a contract with verizon, please tell me, i'd be dying to know how to get completely free cell service.

or better yet, why dont you just cancel your verizon contract and use your wifi for free unlimited calls? let me know if that works.

i'll wait.

I do SipDroid and Google Voice. What about those that purchased the phone outright? What then? They still don't own it? What if they want to use it as a PMP only and through wifi? What then? Does Verizon or Motorola still dictate the terms and conditions?

No they wouldn't. Which is my point...so...again...what are we debating? If you want to use it with verizon you follow their rules. How many time can we beat this dead horse?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Look guys!

seriously, this is day 1

day 1

only day 1

everybody calm down lol

I already posted this right above you lol......

Sent from my Droid

lol, mah bad bro! :D

enlightening article though isn't it?

And this dead horse will be beaten until someone puts there foot in their mouth lol

iPirate

Reaction score
Here is what I dont like about this. They shouldn't have said anything because now all those apple "fans" will talk about this **** till the end of the world and it is a negative impact on Android believe it or not. I've heard more people reference their Android phone as a "Droid phone" and Motorola is going to **** that up.

Even if someone roots it, this is bad press and not good for Android or Motorola.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Here is what I dont like about this. They shouldn't have said anything because now all those apple "fans" will talk about this **** till the end of the world and it is a negative impact on Android believe it or not. I've heard more people reference their Android phone as a "Droid phone" and Motorola is going to **** that up.

Even if someone roots it, this is bad press and not good for Android or Motorola.

Yeah, you do have a point there. Regardless of the fact that Droid1 has EFuses too, getting it blown out of proportion by people who (no offense) don't yet know what they are talking about, is a bad thing. Lets hope it doesn't catch fire...

Good thing the IPhone has the "death grip" hardware bug...

Oh, and by the way to anyone reading this who wants to say "its not really loosing signal, it just looks that way" there have been tests done in controlled environments...Yes, it does loose reception.

floyd

Reaction score
@mikeofmikes Dude, you are missing the point here. It's not about competing with Apple, it's a question of your rights as a consumer. Do you really own your phone, or are you just renting it?

Apples response to the iPhone "loosing" signal is just another high profile example of greedy corporate America pissing in your pocket and telling you it's raining.

These companies make cool products, but they are not your friends, by a long shot.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
@mikeofmikes Dude, you are missing the point here. It's not about competing with Apple, it's a question of your rights as a consumer. Do you really own your phone, or are you just renting it?

Apples response to the iPhone "loosing" signal is just another high profile example of greedy corporate America pissing in your pocket and telling you it's raining.

These companies make cool products, but they are not your friends, by a long shot.

I meant that towards what the previous post to mine stated. Its bad press for moto, but it doesn't seem as bad in light of the gross errors in the IPhone hardware.

Couldn't agree with you more, to big biz, we are numbers. They give what we want, only when its beneficial to them...which, I guess, is good business in the long and short of it.

I just hope that all this EFuse stuff flying around is just what it appears to be, someone crying wolf. Moto, if they shut out the moddin community, would loose some market share I'm sure. Corporate heartless soulless giants be damned...

I own my phone, every part of it's hardware and software. I hope it stays that way for future iterations of the droid.

Darkseider

Reaction score

i'll wait.

No they wouldn't. Which is my point...so...again...what are we debating? If you want to use it with verizon you follow their rules. How many time can we beat this dead horse?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well by you saying they wouldn't does that mean that they would unlock my bootloader so I can modify MY device how I see fit? If not then it seems they are still forcing their terms upon me even though I have no contract with them. It is about consumer rights and ownership. Which is the point I am trying to make here. That's what you don't get. You don't own the phone if you are still made to abide by the rules set forth by both Motorola and Verizon.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
You own your phone because you can destory it if you want. You own your version of windows, as long as you don't dissamble it, change everything around, and repackage it.

Fact is, rooting a droid violates the TOS, thats why if its rooted, you cant get the warranty. Them encrypting the bootloader isn't a method of them saying you can't hack your phone, its a precaution meant to stem it. When this new phone gets cracked, I cant wait to see everyone's foot go in their mouth lol

not flaming, just saying. sorry if it seemed that way, I meant no disrespect