Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

Guchi

Reaction score
Great so we have eFuse. The Droid X bootloader is encrypted so eFuse aside a 1024 bit encryption of the bootloader will never be cracked. The only way is if the private keys are leaked. Plain and simple.

^^^This is sooo true.....

kaboyd

Reaction score
I have to say it's just the principle that pisses me off the most. Motorola just lost a longtime loyal customer if this turns out to be true.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How is this Verizon's fault, if there are other Motorola phones, on other carriers, with locked bootloaders?

How dare you bring logic and commons sense into this topic. You should be ashamed!.;)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
meh, i think its fine if motorola/verizon implements something like this. i for one think they have a right too...i mean you are clearly knowing that your voiding your warranty and going against their TOS by rooting, modding, customizing and tethering and yet you do it. and then you try to justify it by saying its not stealing or its my phone or blah blah blah. you're right it's not stealing, and you're right it's your phone, but it's also their network and their service, and they can do whatever they want with it.

you agree to a TOS for a reason. if you purposely break that TOS, then you should expect some kind of consequence. i don't get why you can do whatever you want, but Motorola/Verizon is not allowed? someone mentioned entitlement earlier and I tend to agree. i've rooted my droid and i've ROM-ed it plenty of times and overclock it. If my phone bricks, I'm not going to go and argue with verizon and act like they did something wrong or blame them for what i did.

does the whole situation suck if it's true? Sure. but is it an "OMG, they are worse than APPLE and I am switching to sprint!!!!!" type of situation? Hardly. no matter how much you dont like it, you're using their network, you're using a phone (which Motorola does not want you to modify) and you agree to the TOS before you are given access to their network. simple as that. complaining is going to get you nowhere. trust me.

exp

Reaction score
YOure right about all that but i think the frustration is that these phones are basically computers now. Theres no restrctive terms of service like this when you go buy a dell. I want phones to be treated the same as computers and i dont think thats unreasonable.

This whole cellular business model is whack.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
“Securing the software on our handsets, thereby preventing a non-Motorola ROM image from being loaded, has been our common practice for many years. This practice is driven by a number of different business factors. When we do deviate from our normal practice, such as we did with the DROID, there is a specific business reason for doing so. We understand this can result in some confusion, and apologize for any frustration.”

There are different kinds of marketing. The kind you see on TV and in print. Then there is advertising on the web. Then there is viral marketing. Folks making videos of fake apps. Friends telling (and showing) their friends how cool their phone is. While the Android community here and on other online sites might make up a very small percentage of phone users, I bet we do one heck of a lot of promoting because we like our phones, think this customizing is pretty cool, and we show others how cool our phones are. I have no doubt that has helped to drive some of the Droid's sales. I do wonder why Motorola deviated for that one phone. What was that business purpose? I don't see how rooting has hurt them or their image.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
YOure right about all that but i think the frustration is that these phones are basically computers now. Theres no restrctive terms of service like this when you go buy a dell. I want phones to be treated the same as computers and i dont think thats unreasonable.

This whole cellular business model is whack.

absolutely, the whole thing sucks. but that's just what it is, and as much as companies say "We value your feedback" they're not going to change a policy if it's detrimental to their business. it just won't happen. especially not to appease a community of modders haha...

there's nothing any amount of complaining can do to change this, believe me. motorola is not going to back down and say ok ok, we'll send out a software upgrade to disable eFuse (if it is actually enabled). they're a multimillion dollar corporation, and don't just make haphazard decisions as much as people would like to think. if they included and enabled eFuse in the X, they did it for a reason and that reason is that its beneficial in some way to their company no matter how annoying it is to us.

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
meh, i think its fine if motorola/verizon implements something like this. i for one think they have a right too...i mean you are clearly knowing that your voiding your warranty and going against their TOS by rooting, modding, customizing and tethering and yet you do it. and then you try to justify it by saying its not stealing or its my phone or blah blah blah. you're right it's not stealing, and you're right it's your phone, but it's also their network and their service, and they can do whatever they want with it.

you agree to a TOS for a reason. if you purposely break that TOS, then you should expect some kind of consequence. i don't get why you can do whatever you want, but Motorola/Verizon is not allowed? someone mentioned entitlement earlier and I tend to agree. i've rooted my droid and i've ROM-ed it plenty of times and overclock it. If my phone bricks, I'm not going to go and argue with verizon and act like they did something wrong or blame them for what i did.

does the whole situation suck if it's true? Sure. but is it an "OMG, they are worse than APPLE and I am switching to sprint!!!!!" type of situation? Hardly. no matter how much you dont like it, you're using their network, you're using a phone (which Motorola does not want you to modify) and you agree to the TOS before you are given access to their network. simple as that. complaining is going to get you nowhere. trust me.

The terms of service is a contract between you and the cellular provider regarding the use of their network. The device is YOURS as in you own it, you should be able to do what the hell you want with it. So long as when you use the device on the carriers network it doesn't violate their TOS. They are completely separate. The fact that Motorola is in one fell swoop destroying an entire segment of the Android community that has backed the most popular Android handset to date, the Motorola Droid, is unfathomable. Motorola deserves nothing less that an OTA to go out with a bad signature and have EVERY Droid X turned into a paperweight at the same time.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
“Securing the software on our handsets, thereby preventing a non-Motorola ROM image from being loaded, has been our common practice for many years. This practice is driven by a number of different business factors. When we do deviate from our normal practice, such as we did with the DROID, there is a specific business reason for doing so. We understand this can result in some confusion, and apologize for any frustration.”

There are different kinds of marketing. The kind you see on TV and in print. Then there is advertising on the web. Then there is viral marketing. Folks making videos of fake apps. Friends telling (and showing) their friends how cool their phone is. While the Android community here and on other online sites might make up a very small percentage of phone users, I bet we do one heck of a lot of promoting because we like our phones, think this customizing is pretty cool, and we show others how cool our phones are. I have no doubt that has helped to drive some of the Droid's sales. I do wonder why Motorola deviated for that one phone. What was that business purpose? I don't see how rooting has hurt them or their image.

i think that was just a cop out response. i really dont see how the deviation could have benefited their company in any way. i think it was more of a failure then something done on purpose. but only motorola knows.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

The terms of service is a contract between you and the cellular provider regarding the use of their network. The device is YOURS as in you own it, you should be able to do what the hell you want with it. So long as when you use the device on the carriers network it doesn't violate their TOS. They are completely separate. The fact that Motorola is in one fell swoop destroying an entire segment of the Android community that has backed the most popular Android handset to date, the Motorola Droid, is unfathomable. Motorola deserves nothing less that an OTA to go out with a bad signature and have EVERY Droid X turned into a paperweight at the same time.

by rooting it and then using it on their network you're violating their TOS. I don't see how you can argue that you're not. if they wanted you to root it they'd let you. if it wasn't a violation of their TOS you wouldn't void your warranty by doing it. makes no sense that you're arguing that rooting it and then using verizon's network is not a TOS violation because "it's my phone and i can do what i want!"...sure you can. if you want to do it and not have service. feel free to take your phone apart and attach rocket packs to it, but dont expect verizon to sign you up for service.

your argument is great for a laugh, but really holds no substance. verizon can tell you what to do with your phone because you're using their service. it's like you taking the car that you own to a racetrack and then complaining that you can't do donuts on the grass. you simply cannot do things on someone else's property (see network) if they don't want you to. if you want to take your car to a deserted road and do donuts, feel free, the racetrack is not going to and cant stop you. simple as that.

Darkseider

Reaction score

by rooting it and then using it on their network you're violating their TOS. I don't see how you can argue that you're not. if they wanted you to root it they'd let you. if it wasn't a violation of their TOS you wouldn't void your warranty by doing it. makes no sense that you're arguing that rooting it and then using verizon's network is not a TOS violation because "it's my phone and i can do what i want!"...sure you can. if you want to do it and not have service. feel free to take your phone apart and attach rocket packs to it, but dont expect verizon to sign you up for service.

your argument is great for a laugh, but really holds no substance. verizon can tell you what to do with your phone because you're using their service. it's like you taking the car that you own to a racetrack and then complaining that you can't do donuts on the grass. you simply cannot do things on someone else's property (see network) if they don't want you to. if you want to take your car to a deserted road and do donuts, feel free, the racetrack is not going to and cant stop you. simple as that.

No they can't tell me what to do with my phone because I am using their service. That is akin to Verizon FiOS saying you can only go online using Windows 7. All they provide is a pipe from point A to to B. The device is YOURS. If Verizon can tell you you can't root the phone then the phone is not YOURS and the $199 is a "right to use" fee. If this the case the phones should be FREE and a nominal monthly fee applied as a lease charge. Otherwise I bought it. It's mine to do with as I please. To even suggest otherwise is ridiculous.