Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

JCo352

Reaction score
Damn!! Talk about Moto shooting them selfs in the foot... Yes granted the phone is an awesome one rooted or not but the Droid and the huge root community it has it what brought Moto back from the brink and now they lock this thing down like this!?!?!

Glad my alarm clock didn't work so I could read this before I could go pick one up at the VZW store. Was planning on being there early too to get one. Will be sticking with my Droid1 until the "next best thing" comes out

That Samsung Fascinate is looking better and better by the minute!!!

I don't understand how people can say the root community has brought Motorola back. There were millions of Droids sold, I would say a max of 100,000 were rooted. Wouldn't you say the multi-million dollar ad-campaign brought Motorola back, seems more likely, doesn't it?

Darkseider

Reaction score
See thats where alot of people disagree....How would you like to own a PC that you buy with a MS OS on it but then can only install programs that are made by Microsoft. You buy the PC the hardware and you can do what you want with it. The same is with phones you are buying the hardware it is YOURS you don't return it when you buy another phone it is your property. Yes I have a work phone and yes it is a Blackberry and yes they have it locked down to what you can and can't do but guess what I don't care they paid for the phone, they pay for the service they pay for all costs so they can decide what I can and can't do with it.

If Verizon, Motorola wants control on the phone then we shouldn't have to pay for it and rent the phone and then it becomes thier property and they can have it back when you rent another one or cancel. But until then if your paying for the phone it becomes yours and you should be able to do what you want with the hardware. I for one don't want to have PC's locked down like phones where you can only do what the OS manufactor wants you to do and at this point phones are costing more then PC's. But hey maybe they should lock down your car if you purchase anything but the gas they tell you too lol....

You buy it then it is yours do what you want with it no one puts up with this from any other vendor then cell. Hell MS got suied and lost cause it didn't give the option to uninstall IE.

Well I think dude covered the program/app aspect... as for the car analogy that's just silly man. Far too extreme in comparison BUT if you want to we can use that. Go buy a new Vette, or a Mustang or any other car, new, and start putting turbos, camshafts, heads, etc on it. Then ask them if it voids your warranty. I'll bet the answer is yes. Is it your car? Yup. Should you be able to do what you want? Yup. Can you? Yup. There's just consequences to be paid.

I see your point and I agree man - it's our phone and we should be able to load a custom rom on it. I'd be willing to bet the carriers are behind this, not M. Some suit or network engineer somewhere either has seen or thinks there's a chance that leaving that stuff wide open could compromise their network or integrity, somehow or some way. Whether it's possible or not i'm not interested in debating.

They're just covering their asses and trying to minimize any possible trouble in the future. We don't have to like it but we will have to live with it.

You see that's the whole point here. I don't give a rats ass that my warranty is voided. It is MY choice to root and load a custom ROM/kernel. What Moto, VZW, whomever makes these dumbass decisions fail to realize is that we know the risks, if any, and are willing to take them with OUR property. Same goes for the guy that drops a 250 nitrous shot into his Mustang or a supercharger on his Vette. No one should have the right or ability to make decisions for ME with MY property.

JCo352

Reaction score
See thats where alot of people disagree....How would you like to own a PC that you buy with a MS OS on it but then can only install programs that are made by Microsoft. You buy the PC the hardware and you can do what you want with it. The same is with phones you are buying the hardware it is YOURS you don't return it when you buy another phone it is your property. Yes I have a work phone and yes it is a Blackberry and yes they have it locked down to what you can and can't do but guess what I don't care they paid for the phone, they pay for the service they pay for all costs so they can decide what I can and can't do with it.

If Verizon, Motorola wants control on the phone then we shouldn't have to pay for it and rent the phone and then it becomes thier property and they can have it back when you rent another one or cancel. But until then if your paying for the phone it becomes yours and you should be able to do what you want with the hardware. I for one don't want to have PC's locked down like phones where you can only do what the OS manufactor wants you to do and at this point phones are costing more then PC's. But hey maybe they should lock down your car if you purchase anything but the gas they tell you too lol....

You buy it then it is yours do what you want with it no one puts up with this from any other vendor then cell. Hell MS got suied and lost cause it didn't give the option to uninstall IE.

Well I think dude covered the program/app aspect... as for the car analogy that's just silly man. Far too extreme in comparison BUT if you want to we can use that. Go buy a new Vette, or a Mustang or any other car, new, and start putting turbos, camshafts, heads, etc on it. Then ask them if it voids your warranty. I'll bet the answer is yes. Is it your car? Yup. Should you be able to do what you want? Yup. Can you? Yup. There's just consequences to be paid.

I see your point and I agree man - it's our phone and we should be able to load a custom rom on it. I'd be willing to bet the carriers are behind this, not M. Some suit or network engineer somewhere either has seen or thinks there's a chance that leaving that stuff wide open could compromise their network or integrity, somehow or some way. Whether it's possible or not i'm not interested in debating.

They're just covering their asses and trying to minimize any possible trouble in the future. We don't have to like it but we will have to live with it.

You see that's the whole point here. I don't give a rats ass that my warranty is voided. It is MY choice to root and load a custom ROM/kernel. What Moto, VZW, whomever makes these dumbass decisions fail to realize is that we know the risks, if any, and are willing to take them with OUR property. Same goes for the guy that drops a 250 nitrous shot into his Mustang or a supercharger on his Vette. No one should have the right or ability to make decisions for ME with MY property.

I agree with you on this, but not all people are like you and I. There are to many people that will root their device, and if they mess it up, who will be the first person they call?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Seems pretty simple to me....

Don't like it, Don't buy it.

Complaining, ranting and moaning about it does nothing.

ravichopra

Reaction score

Actually, your car analogy is silly. A more apt one would be a situation where if you TRIED to put a turbo on your Vette, an element of GM's design would recognize that you'd added a turbo and deliberately seize the engine and set the tires on fire.

It's fine to void the warranty if you screw around with something in non-approved ways. Heck, it would even be legit if they set it up so if you screwed around you'd be kicked off the network. Deliberately breaking or making the device non-usable BECAUSE you're trying to customize is BS.

Last edited:
K

killabyte

as long as you don't have ovaries or bleed once a month and as long as your inner voice doesn't get high pitched while typing out your response it's not moaning it's discussing :p

Darkseider

Reaction score

BnB I usually agree with you but complaining, ranting and moaning as well as not buying does do something. It shows that one of the largest Droid forums on the internet is freakin pissed at Moto's decision. It shows that even though those of us that root our phones and load custom ROMs are a vocal minority and we will tell EVERYONE we can to stay away from that brick called the Droid X. It has to start somewhere and it will always start small and it might as well be here. I am sure that Moto and VZW does monitor some of the web traffic regrading the Droid X to see what people are saying.

EDIT: Gizmodo just published an article basically saying stay away from the Droid X.

http://gizmodo.com/5587801/motorola-is-willing-to-break-the-phone-they-just-sold-you

The more of these that are out there the better! I applaud Gizmodo for this.

K

killabyte

Actually, your car analogy is silly. A more apt one would be a situation where if you TRIED to put a turbo on your Vette, an element of GM's design would recognize that you'd added a turbo and deliberately seize the engine and set the tires on fire.

It's fine to void the warranty if you screw around with something in non-approved ways, but deliberately breaking the device BECAUSE you're trying to customize is BS.

once more i agree. first off comparing to cars is just stupid so let's stop that. the bigger picture is that someone somewhere has to deal with this stuff whether it be tech support, warranty, etc. they have the right to lock the device down. they're not twisting anyone's arm to buy it.

like it or not, you pay a monthly fee to whatever carrier and since your device interacts with their network that unfortunately gives them some say so in what you can and can't do with it. sucks? yea it does. nothing you can do about it though. either buy it and be happy or don't, like back n black said.

ravichopra

Reaction score
like it or not, you pay a monthly fee to whatever carrier and since your device interacts with their network that unfortunately gives them some say so in what you can and can't do with it. sucks? yea it does. nothing you can do about it though. either buy it and be happy or don't, like back n black said.

So your argument is that people shouldn't bring objectionable policies to light or discuss them because there's "nothing you can do about it"?

Roll over much?

clucernoni

Reaction score

BnB I usually agree with you but complaining, ranting and moaning as well as not buying does do something. It shows that one of the largest Droid forums on the internet is freakin pissed at Moto's decision. It shows that even though those of us that root our phones and load custom ROMs are a vocal minority and we will tell EVERYONE we can to stay away from that brick called the Droid X. It has to start somewhere and it will always start small and it might as well be here. I am sure that Moto and VZW does monitor some of the web traffic regrading the Droid X to see what people are saying.

EDIT: Gizmodo just published an article basically saying stay away from the Droid X.

Motorola Is Willing To Break the Phone They Just Sold You

The more of these that are out there the better! I applaud Gizmodo for this.

This is exactly what I have been saying. Even though we are a minority in the droid/android community, the things we say to your friends hold a lot of water. I have already convinced a friend not to get the Droid X because of the restrictions. He has seen all that I can do with my droid and wants to option to at least be there for him. I told him he may not be able to do it with the Droid X and decided to wait on some other phones to come out to make the decision. So even though we are a minority, our friends know that we know what we are talking about and will take our advice. That's where Moto is underestimating the community. So even though we are only maybe 50,000 strong, we all have friends.

This was probably the nail in the coffin for me. I was on the fence about renewing my contract with the X, but now I'm waiting til the end of the year and will probably go away from Moto if they keep this up...HTC and Samsung are doing some good things.

Darkseider

Reaction score

It's fine to void the warranty if you screw around with something in non-approved ways, but deliberately breaking the device BECAUSE you're trying to customize is BS.

once more i agree. first off comparing to cars is just stupid so let's stop that. the bigger picture is that someone somewhere has to deal with this stuff whether it be tech support, warranty, etc. they have the right to lock the device down. they're not twisting anyone's arm to buy it.

Carrier my ass. I pay a monthly fee for internet service. Does that mean they can dictate what OS I can run on my PC? The carrier is just that a means to an end. They provide a pipe that transfers data from point A to point B. They have no right to dictate what device I use on their network so long as I pay for service in a timely manner. PERIOD.

K

killabyte

So your argument is that people shouldn't bring objectionable policies to light or discuss them because there's "nothing you can do about it"?

Roll over much?

Roll over, no - common enough sense to realize the inevitable? Yes

clucernoni

Reaction score

You are somewhat contradicting the point you were trying to support in that last paragraph. Like you said, the device interacts with the network, so they have a right to say what you can and can't do...as far as network interaction goes. It's completely ridiculous to BRICK a phone. Kick it off of a network?...sure that makes sense, but brick the phone and render it useless because someone was messing with it? That is way way too far. It doesn't hurt anyone if I mess with my phone as long as it isn't on the network since my warranty is voided. Why break it?

K

killabyte

Carrier my ass. I pay a monthly fee for internet service. Does that mean they can dictate what OS I can run on my PC? The carrier is just that a means to an end. They provide a pipe that transfers data from point A to point B. They have no right to dictate what device I use on their network so long as I pay for service in a timely manner. PERIOD.

oh ok then man, go ahead and tether that droid to your laptop and get online but oh wait... what's that? you didn't pay them for that so you're technically stealing it... hmm could this be some of the backlash of rooting and custom roms they are trying to cover their asses on?

look guys I'M ON YOUR SIDE damn it but use logic and common sense here. nobody liked it when microsoft blew the efuse in the 360 so you couldn't use an exploit to install a custom dashboard. 5 months and 2 million tears and internet posts later guess what? nothing has changed.

was it unfair? yes. did they have the right to do it? well yea, actually they did. what they did didn't alter the functionality of the 360 in any way shape or form that it was advertised to function.

same with the X. get over it already. hell no one has even bricked one yet from trying and everyone's ovaries are already tied in a knot.