Mobile hotspot won't connect to ipad

cristalblueroses

Reaction score
I just got the Droid X, and the mobile hotspot will connect to a regular laptop, but not to my wifi only ipad. Anyone else tried this and had a problem? or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it.

more details: the ipad can "see" the wifi signal, but when I try to connect it says "cannot connect to the wireless network"

uddin94

Reaction score
The wifi on some ipads doesnt work properly, its well documented in apples support page.

OP
C

cristalblueroses

Reaction score
Ah, okay then. I had somehow missed that, I'll check it out then.

Thank you

rinish

Reaction score
It's not the iPads fault mobile hotspot won't connect

I spent an hour on the phone and one in house with verizon. My iPad, iPhone, and MacBook won't connect. Periodically the iPad will for two minutes but then X boots me off. But my devices run great on verizons MiFi. There is something wrong with the X hotspot feature.

Last edited:

uddin94

Reaction score
Are you running the the latest upgrade (3.2.1) if not its not the droid. I had the same issue before I did the update. My X works for my ipad now, though not my mac.

The issue is still considered unresolved on the apple support page, just checked.

rinish

Reaction score
@Uddin94
Thanks for the suggestion. When I get home from the office I'll check. Do you think it's odd that every other WiFi delivering device i.e. MiFi and residential wireless routers provide connectivity to the Apple devices? I really like the X and hope it can cohabit with my Apple devices.

timfnb

Reaction score
Same problem

Just got the Droid X today. Lenovo laptop connects fine to Droid hotspot. iTouch gen 2 doesn't connect, iPad doesn't connect, iTouch gen 1 connects. I have tried all of the security options and none of them work. If I turn security off, the iPad will try to connect forever but won't finalize the connection. All of the devices can see the SSID/hotspot network.

rconnor

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I bought my Droid X at Best Buy and found the solution before the Geek Squad did. The iPod Touch and iPad do not like the WPA or WPA2 security settings. Try this:

Open the 3G Mobile Hotspot App
Click the first button on the bottom of the Droid and then select "Advance"
Tap on WiFi AP Mode
Change your security to WEP, create a password and then save

This worked for me:)

ChampD1012

Reaction score
Use WEP for the network

The iPad doesn't like the WPA or WPA2 for that matter. I know in the past, my iPad and other mobile devices would be picky. After the iPad update to 3.2.1 I was able to no security and WEP.

Camguy52

Reaction score
Mobile Hotspot won't connect to iPhone

I have a Droid X an iPhone (wife's), iTouch (version 2) and iPad.

If the Droid X Mobile hotspot is set to WEP with 5 ASCII characters, the iPad will connect, the iTouch will connect but the iPhone just won't connect at all.

Further, the iPad gets temper mental and will drop off half the time and just continue trying to connect. The iTouch seems to connect without problems even when the iPad won't connect.As mentioned in earlier posts, WEP is the only thing that seems to work some of the time. Don't bother with WPA or WPA2.

Doug

OP
C

cristalblueroses

Reaction score
I updated the ipad with the new version of the OS (or whatever the big update was). It does connect now, but will drop constantly. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon. I can handle it for now as it at least lets me get certain things updated.

From my understanding, they are still working on the issue, so I would hope a fix is on the way (even though they are probably focused on the issues with the new phone first)..

Thanks for the help, it seems to have worked.

the5rivers

Reaction score
Just curious, but do you guys have the ipad wifi, or ipad wifi/3g? Because I read on some apple blogs/forums that the wifi only one does have some issues with connectivity due to the placement of the antenna behind the apple logo, where as the wifi/3g has the antenna on top within the blackstrip, and that somehow has better connectivity as a result.

Just curious to see what you guys have. Thanks!

OP
C

cristalblueroses

Reaction score
Just curious, but do you guys have the ipad wifi, or ipad wifi/3g? Because I read on some apple blogs/forums that the wifi only one does have some issues with connectivity due to the placement of the antenna behind the apple logo, where as the wifi/3g has the antenna on top within the blackstrip, and that somehow has better connectivity as a result.

Just curious to see what you guys have. Thanks!

mine is the wifi only.
My mother has the 3G+wifi and hasn't had issues.

uddin94

Reaction score
Yeah I read the same article. I find it weird that apple puts antannaes in areas that are easily blocked when using their products

grimshawsg1960

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I bought my Droid X at Best Buy and found the solution before the Geek Squad did. The iPod Touch and iPad do not like the WPA or WPA2 security settings. Try this:

Open the 3G Mobile Hotspot App
Click the first button on the bottom of the Droid and then select "Advance"
Tap on WiFi AP Mode
Change your security to WEP, create a password and then save

This worked for me:)

Same problem, Switched to WEP and the IPAD connected fine. Thanks.