FoxFi Tethering Issue on ICS Rezound

acejavelin

Reaction score
That's actually a newer version than the one I have before it was pulled from market.
Hmmm... I am getting version 1.91.3 from the website, still nothing on my HP Mobile Workstation, Windows just sits there saying "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'FoxFi94' network. Waiting for the network..." and a never ending green progress bar dancing across the window, no data traffic showing in the FoxFi app, tried it with and without WPA and I know this laptop connects fine to FoxFi, connecting to a Moto Razr, Droid Bionic, and my old Samsung Stratosphere all work flawlessly with same notebook.

gerrya

Reaction score
When I try to connect my Transformer to the Rezound the transformer says obtaining IP address forever. Ive been using FoxFi for a long time using the bluetooth mode but I would much rather use WiFi to eliminate using PDAnet tablet.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Yes, search the Google play store and you will find a foxfi add-on app. The main purpose of this additional app being published is to explain to you and I that Sprint AT&T and Verizon are blocking foxfi from being installed by the Google play store, and to go to that website to download it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.addon
Hmmm... I see no mention of Verizon blocking the app anywhere on this page, just Sprint and AT&T.

Don't have any other smartphones near me atm, when I go to work tomorrow will grab a couple peoples other devices and see if it is being blocked in the Play Store, should be able to get my hands on a few Motorolas, Samsungs, and maybe even an LG and let you know.

EDIT: BTW, when I go online it still shows compatibility with my VZW Samsung Stratosphere (SCH-I405) also a 4G device, just not my Rezound. So if VZW is blocking it, they are being device specific.

HowardZ

Reaction score
the foxfi add-on app includes a proxy.
first start foxfi hotspot
then press menu button to get to turn on the add-on's proxy

Maybe it will work with the new proxy server turned on?

It is worth a try.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Hmmm... I see no mention of Verizon blocking the app anywhere on this page, just Sprint and AT&T.

Don't have any other smartphones near me atm, when I go to work tomorrow will grab a couple peoples other devices and see if it is being blocked in the Play Store, should be able to get my hands on a few Motorolas, Samsungs, and maybe even an LG and let you know.

EDIT: BTW, when I go online it still shows compatibility with my VZW Samsung Stratosphere (SCH-I405) also a 4G device, just not my Rezound. So if VZW is blocking it, they are being device specific.

ok, maybe Verizon isn't blocking foxfi?

The foxfi add-on app's description mentions the www.foxfi.com/bin website, so you don't need be concerned that it is a scam website.

Personally, I am rooted and successfully use the WiFi feather app on the few occasions that I need to teather. I dont use foxfi, I'm just trying to help a little.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
Lol... I know FoxFi is legit, used it many times on many devices and put it on people's phones at work with no issues.

Same result as before with add-on, tried uninstall, reinstall, reboot, with and w/o WPA, with and w/o Proxy, still nothing, same old... "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'FoxFiXX' network. Waiting for the network..."

Even dug out my old Dell Axim X51v PDA, same result, won't connect.

This really isn't important to me, but I am like you, trying to help and willing to test just about anything that won't permanently bork my phone... ;)

On a lighter note, I just realized someone else in my apartment building is using FoxFi... and it works! and without a password! :icon_ devil:
Wonder if they have unlimited data...

Last edited:

HowardZ

Reaction score
Well, I suppose unrooted rezound owners will need to wait for the next version of foxfi to be released.

Maybe the next version will work properly?

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
The FoxFi app is NOT available when using Google Play on your phone. Just the Add on is available.
However, it IS available when searching Google Play through a web browser...but it says it isn't compatible with my Rezound, but that it is compatible with my Droid 2.

It wasn't working on my Rezound anyway...never has. So I just uninstalled it. I'll wait for a new version to be released.

Snoking

Reaction score
I try again last night with 1.91.3 and the add on loaded. Played with the proxy ip address etc, still does not get an ip address.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I did it but foxfi is now working on my Rezound using pdanet on the tablets and connected via Bluetooth.
I don't know if it makes a difference but I started Bluetooth on phone first while phone was connected to WiFi and Verizon data network off , foxfi next, followed instructions, turned on Bluetooth of tablet, turned on pdanet, chose Bluetooth, followed instructions,, when phone said I needed hotspot feature I tapped cancel, both devices said type in the pass key,I tapped them both at the same time, it connected. Then I turned phone and tablet WiFi off and phone Verizon network on
I'm non rooted on my phone and tablets.
Hope that helps but like I said, doing that before never worked,I haven't gotten any updates to anything so I'm not sure why it works now

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
N7

Last edited:

Snoking

Reaction score
Try getting something from the Play Store or sync Gmail. I could get to internet, but not other things.

Snoking

Reaction score
mountainbikermark said:
Works fine for me.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
N7

I thought so at first, then Gmail would not sync, it would not let my Acer Iconia A200 tablet send a Gmail and updates from the Play Store would fail.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I Tapatalked the posts, downloaded Evernote to my Nexus7 from the play store app, checked my Gmail from the app, uploaded a couple of photos to Walgreens photo via their website and looked at them via their app , sent/ received some texts via Text+ app.
I played some games, checked my mail, downloaded an update to Frame Grabber on my Tab 10.1

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Snoking

Reaction score
As I wait for FoxFi to get fixed I thought I would give you a report on my experience with VZW's hotspot!

Turning it on: I have Notification Toggle installed. So I simply swipe down and hit symbol for hotspot to turn it on or off.

Security. Using WPA

USERS: I have an Acer Iconia A200 tablet and laptop on the boat with me. Turn on the tablet and WiFi and it connects. If I leave WiFi enable, it connects automatically when tablet is turned on. Laptop connects without issues. One of my friends has a Kindle Fire. We tested it on my phone a couple of weeks ago. We were then on a yacht club cruise last week and he turned on the Fire and it found and connected to my hotspot from several boats away.

Speed: When the phone has a good 4G connect speed test on the tablet are amazing! 10mb and above.

Battery Life: With the VZW extended battery and display off, Rezound battery life tethering is very good. A200 tablet has REALLY good battery life. Much better than smart phone.

Time out: Shuts off after 10 minutes of no connected devices.

Secure sites: Not an issue accessing https sites.

Satisfaction: High

Cost: It's only money. Hopefully this will get fixed.

Comments: Coming from tethering laptop with PDA NET for last two years, ease of use is great with the hotspot. I use to bad mouth WiFi tethering saying I did not understand the need. Live and learn!

Last edited: