MIUI Themed Icons

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
to install these...what do we need to do?

Do we just look at the list of icon png files in the zip and manually select the ones we want to change, and place them in /data/system/customized icon?

I dont want to change all of them, but at least a few I wouldnt mind having different icons for.

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
Jrizzill, I love the icons but don't use miui, I use ud 1.0.0 so ill try one of the other formentioned ways to customize icons. With that being said I saw in one of the other posts that you don't use the miui rom but use its framework so that you have no app drawer and you scroll thru your screen. Is there a way to port this to the new ud or a file I can flash thru clockwork so I can set up like this too? It looks wicked sweet. Thx
Rev.

You read incorrectly. I *do* use the MIUI ROM, specifically because I like the little things built into its framework, however I choose not to use the default launcher... Instead I use LauncherPro without an app drawer and use the FolderOrganizer scrolling widget to launch my apps. This is a much cleaner and less complicated method and LauncherPro uses a LOT less memory when you disable the app drawer. Regardless of what ROM you are on, you can have this same exact setup -- its not ROM-specific.

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
to install these...what do we need to do?

Do we just look at the list of icon png files in the zip and manually select the ones we want to change, and place them in /data/system/customized icon?

I dont want to change all of them, but at least a few I wouldnt mind having different icons for.

As an example, to change the Phone app's default icon, you would navigate to "/data/system/customized_icons/", find the file "com.android.phone.png", delete it, select an icon out of my pack that you want to use as the Phone icon, rename it to "com.android.phone.png", copy it to "/data/system/customized_icons/", and now you have a different phone icon across the *entire* system. That means not only will home screen shortcuts be changed, but inside of app drawers, inside of system management, etc.

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
Since a lot of people do not have Photoshop or do not know how to use it, I am willing to make custom icons for people if they provide me the artwork -- preferably in a web URL. The artwork must be high-rez (256x256 minimum!) and it must be able to stand alone without the need to add a background. I do not want to have to edit these in any way whatsoever!

Example of good artwork and result:

Google_Chrome_Icon.png

Example of bad artwork and result:

ie8icon1.png

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks! I wasnt able to find all of the icons for my apps though. For example...couldnt find the icon that changes the phone, or market icons. It was not on the list in my /data/system/cusomtized icons folder. or contacts....I changed all the contacts icons in there, but none of them change the contacts icon on the dock bar.

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
thanks! I wasnt able to find all of the icons for my apps though. For example...couldnt find the icon that changes the phone, or market icons. It was not on the list in my /data/system/cusomtized icons folder. or contacts....I changed all the contacts icons in there, but none of them change the contacts icon on the dock bar.

System apps like the Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Email, Gmail, Talk, Launcher, Market, Music, Gallery, Settings, Messaging, etc are all hardcoded into the framework-res -- I could not figure out how to change these system-wide yet without modifying "framework-res.apk".

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
oh ok..I didnt know that. Still pretty cool to have different icons

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
Not only have I been getting PM requests on here and XDA for custom icons, but I have also been getting a lot of questions on how to use the Photoshop template to create your own icons. So I wrote up a very quick tutorial...

Open the "!!!_builder.psd" document in Photoshop. Make sure your layers window is open. In there you will find a layer named "Art". It is a Smart Object. You can double click this a Smart Object's icon to open it's canvas in a new window. Place your artwork inside of this new canvas. Turn on the visibility of the pink "Layer Mask" layer to position your new artwork correctly. Make sure there are no holes in your artwork. Turn off the "Layer Mask" when you are done. Close the Smart Object window and click "Yes" when it asks you to save the changes. The main canvas has now been updated with your artwork. Goto "File" --> "Save As", name it, select "PNG (*.PNG)" as the format, click "Save", and you're done.

DroidNYC

Reaction score
Jrizzill,

How do you eliminate the app drawer in launcher pro? I'm experimenting with trying to set up the same setup you described eliminating it and using the folder organizer but I'm having trouble finding where to disable the app drawer??

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
Jrizzill,

How do you eliminate the app drawer in launcher pro? I'm experimenting with trying to set up the same setup you described eliminating it and using the folder organizer but I'm having trouble finding where to disable the app drawer??

It's not a setting. Just long-press on the app drawer icon and change the shortcut to something else. By doing this, LauncherPro ignores the loading of apps into it's memory. I know this because I turned on the "Display Memory Usage" option in "Advanced Settings" and tested it with and without the app drawer present. Without the app drawer LauncherPro uses a lot less memory.

Post some screenshots of your setup when you are done!

OP
Jrizzill

Jrizzill

Developer
Reaction score
Guys, I will no longer be developing this style of icon for MIUI. I am switching over to the new format which the devs of MIUI are giving me the source files for. Give me a couple days and I'll have them updated!

Z

ZeroBarrier

Am I the only one that likes the older style compared to the newer style?

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
jrizzill...do you happen to have an icon for these apps?

angry birds
superuser
setcpu
linpack
Pandora
audio manager

?

Mainly I am looking for Superuser, Pandora, and angrybirds the most.

I suck at photoshop and dont even have it installed on my computer.

iamasongnow

Reaction score
so how exactly am i supposed to change the icons for things like the browser, market, settings...?
i noticed, and i think you've stated, they aren't in the customized icons folder but with one of your modded updates you changed the browser icon to look like the one posted in 34# (explaining differences between good and bad artwork).
could you explain how you did this? or was it like crazy jedi skills?