Minor update rolling out now (or soon)

lekolite

Reaction score
I like how they aren't giving us a choice. Mine installed overnight without prompting.

rbw62

Reaction score
Well, actually I did read them plus all I could find on VZW web, googled it, guess what? It is as I posted. The quietest update I never read about...so just to postulate or chuckle, lol,lol, I asked about it here > ;) darn eyeball.

Sent from Batcave

jray1

Reaction score
Lost root access after the update also. Off anyone finds a fix for root please post it. Haven't found one yet.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
The update doesn't permanently break root, just the current installation of it... Any standard root method, like the rjr1049 referenced above should work, CWM users just reflash SuperSU or Superuser ZIP package, this should also work for just about any custom recovery. Basically, however you rooted before, just do the root part again (you don't need to unlock or anything else, that is all still fine).

ran347

Reaction score
Minor Update Fails

I'm having a little trouble with the update.

Phone info:
HTC Rezound stock ICS (rooted to remove htclinkifydispatcher)
CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0

Downloaded and tried to apply the update. The phone reboots and starts to apply the update. I then get the following in CWM Recovery:

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.1.0
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed.

The menu displays:
Install Untrusted Package?
THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE

If I select "Yes - Install untrusted zip," I get the following:
Installing update...
assert failed: check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"), "00000000" , "11111111" , etc. , "99999999" , "VZW__001") == "t"
E:Error in /cache/fumo/OTAPkg.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I wiped the cache partition and dalvik cache twice and tried again with the same results.
Does anyone know what is going wrong? Could it have anything to do with my buildprop edit to remove htclinkifydispatcher? Would Toggle Signature Verification in CWM doing anything or would that be a very bad idea?

ran347

Reaction score
I checked and Toggle Signature Verification in CWM is disabled. I tried downloading the update and then copying it to the SD card and ran it from there but it also fails. Curious. Any help is appreciated.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
I checked and Toggle Signature Verification in CWM is disabled. I tried downloading the update and then copying it to the SD card and ran it from there but it also fails. Curious. Any help is appreciated.
I answered this over on Android Central... you won't like the answer, your "ro.cid" file is not what is expected and this update has that as a dependency so it fails when data is not what it expects, seems to be an occasional issue with HTC rooted phones and updates. You are probably stuck until you relock, reflash the original RUU, update, unlock, and re-root, or just flash a custom ROM.

jrredho

Reaction score
I answered this over on Android Central... you won't like the answer, your "ro.cid" file is not what is expected and this update has that as a dependency so it fails when data is not what it expects, seems to be an occasional issue with HTC rooted phones and updates. You are probably stuck until you relock, reflash the original RUU, update, unlock, and re-root, or just flash a custom ROM.
The error message looked to me as if there was a problem with an incorrect property value. This suggests that the problem might be a modified /system/build.prop file, or a conflict with a property that's being set in a /data/local.prop file. If it's the former, the OP just needs to find a copy of the original, either by extracting it from the RUU file, or if he saved a copy of the original, copying it back into the build.prop file. If it's a property defined in /data/local.prop, he can just rename that file temporarily and re-try the update. I know it's not trivial, but it's not as involved as doing a factory reset/RUU thing... Good luck OP! cheers, john

ran347

Reaction score
The error message looked to me as if there was a problem with an incorrect property value. This suggests that the problem might be a modified /system/build.prop file, or a conflict with a property that's being set in a /data/local.prop file. If it's the former, the OP just needs to find a copy of the original, either by extracting it from the RUU file, or if he saved a copy of the original, copying it back into the build.prop file. If it's a property defined in /data/local.prop, he can just rename that file temporarily and re-try the update. I know it's not trivial, but it's not as involved as doing a factory reset/RUU thing... Good luck OP! cheers, john

Thanks for the info. However, I'm having difficulty tracking down the ICS RUU for the Rezound. I checked my /system/build.prop backups and one is 0KB and the other must have been overwritten by an additional backup. I should have copied it to another location. Live and learn I suppose. Does anyone know where I can get the ICS RUU so that I can extract the proper /system/build.prop (Scottsrom has removed most of his archived devices including the Rezound)? Or better yet, does someone have an original /system/build.prop that they can send to me?

Coupe

Reaction score
So, can anyone get back to Root once this update is done? I am still stock ICS but once my warranty is out I would like to root so I can control permissions (Like I could on a stock Blackberry!).

HowardZ

Reaction score
Well let's see what we have here.

Verizon gave up releasing the global updated why? Because the rezound is too old to bother with jelly beans, global update, or anything else.

But the rezound uses LTE, and will continue to be used for a few more years. So this update has something to do with a LTE change.

This update is so important that it gets forced onto the phones without giving the phone owners a choice.

This update has something so unpopular, that Verizon is unwilling to reveal what it does, and instead lies to us.

My best guess is a LTE slowdown rationing system targeting people with unlimited data. The more you use, the slower it will work.

This is my guess, and I am sticking to it.

peepmyswag

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble with the update.

Phone info:
HTC Rezound stock ICS (rooted to remove htclinkifydispatcher)
CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0

Downloaded and tried to apply the update. The phone reboots and starts to apply the update. I then get the following in CWM Recovery:

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.1.0
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed.

The menu displays:
Install Untrusted Package?
THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE

If I select "Yes - Install untrusted zip," I get the following:
Installing update...
assert failed: check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"), "00000000" , "11111111" , etc. , "99999999" , "VZW__001") == "t"
E:Error in /cache/fumo/OTAPkg.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I wiped the cache partition and dalvik cache twice and tried again with the same results.
Does anyone know what is going wrong? Could it have anything to do with my buildprop edit to remove htclinkifydispatcher? Would Toggle Signature Verification in CWM doing anything or would that be a very bad idea?

This is what mine does. Except it's random. I won't be using the phone, look over and it ics tried to install the update failed and rebooted into recovery. I can simply reboot and it works for a while again. But it's extremely annoying. I even rejected the update once.