official ICS coming June-July

tobiasg

Reaction score
Just saw that too - Bummer. Really thinking about rooting and rom'ng now. . .

tobiasg

Reaction score
Do it tobias I was waiting but not anymore... Rooted and unlocked so far and not looking back.

I am unlocked, rooted and waiting for CleanRom to finish downloading. :icon_ lala:

And yes, that warrants using the little dancing dude cause that is what I am doing!

Oh and I want my Wireless tether back - that combined with the wait. . and I just felt it was time.

tobiasg

Reaction score
NOT quite as easy as my OG Droid

But I have Scott's cleanrom running smoothly. That's about all I can say at this point. Now to install some apps and poke and tweak!

If I did it, so can you!

P.S. I also donated a few bucks to a helpful guy in a forum tonight, he was really suprised - people, if someone is very helpful shoot em a few dollars - we need to encourage the good ones :)

wildride89

Reaction score
Is the clean rom a ics based rom? I'm gonna need some help upgrading myself. I don't understand the whole upgrading firmware process but I'm sure I'll get it.

tobiasg

Reaction score
Is the clean rom a ics based rom? I'm gonna need some help upgrading myself. I don't understand the whole upgrading firmware process but I'm sure I'll get it.

It is. The step by step directions were pretty helpful. The part I had a bit of trouble with was the recovery install, not sure what I was following first but its the Amon Ra recovery that did it for me.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
"June-July" Not even any kind of specifics. So basically we're left in the dark for another 2 months give or take. At least it looks like the Q2 predictions were accurate...

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
WallyIAm said:
IF it's released in June or July, I can wait.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

And that is a BIG "IF". But I couldn't wait.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

OP
peepmyswag

peepmyswag

Reaction score
Seems to be it will be together with the update for global capability.

HowardZ

Reaction score
I plan to wait for the OTA ICS update.

My rezound is under two months old.
It is rooted and S-OFF (with stock hboot), but otherwise stock and ready for the OTA update.
I have not deleted any Verizon bloat apps.
The root access just allows me to run certain apps like Titanium Backup.

I will share my reasons with you:

The official Verizon/HTC ICS update will very soon become the baseline.
All ROMs will not only accommodate the Verizon/HTC ICS, but will soon demand it as a starting base.
Everyone will need to figure out how to get the Verizon/HTC ICS installed.
It might not install over the ICS leaks or the many available ROMs.
It is going to be a major amount of work, and it will likely also require a factory reset and reinstalling all apps and setting things up the way one likes.

I plan to avoid all this additional work and complication to my life by waiting for the Verizon/HTC ICS OTA update.

After the ICS update, I plan to make a nandroid backup.
Then I can play with ROMs and simply restore my nandroid backup - including boot/kernel from the nandroid backup.
I bet all ROMs will require and use the Verizon/HTC ICS radio firmware.

I predict there will be so many threads about putting back the stock hboot - bricking of phones by using the wrong hboot on the stock GB ROM, people rushing to S-OFF to RUU back to GB.

Don't get me wrong, I think S-OFF is a wonderful addition which is not likely to cause troubles. But bundling it with replacement hboots that can brick a phone if the wrong one is used based on firmware - I think its going to be a mess.

Anyway, I find stock GB works very well. Coming from a droid-x I really like the long-press on keyboard letters which Motorola did not have. I might even like the stock Verizon/HTC ICS enough to not bother with custom ROMs. Time will tell.

Regards,

Howard

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
You know that the OTA could potentially come with a new HBOOT and give you more of a headache. Thankfully it's a recoverable headache but a headache nonetheless.

svdroiddude

Reaction score
Even if OTA ICS was available now I couldn't load it. I use my phone to gain access to houses (realtor) and that app is not compatible with ICS (yet).