Minimal droid use, battery drain experiment

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
I have the similar settings(gps, bluetooth, wifi, email notification turned off) and battery is down to 10% by 2 pm, it was fully charged @ 6 am this morning. Only received few calls and few IM. I am not sure whether something to do with the phone or the battery. It really sucks.

If your using an IM app, that isn't google. There will be much battery drain. The reason being is the IM app is trying to stay in constant connection with the IM servers. If you don't have an IM app running that should reduce the ammount of battery drain. It has been like that on many phones that i've dealt with.

thats great battery life with what you are doing.....

I don't agree. My iphone dominated the day with battery life, with the exception of AIM.

exactly cut off AIM and you will see a huge difference....

if you don't want to turn it off thats some good battery life with a IM running constantly

I'm going to stop my AIM app tonight and test the battery tomorrow.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got it that way:

50 Mails a Day
round about 5 calls with 2 minutes
Surfing for at least 1hr a day in the train
doing 15 minutes of IRC
playing 15 Minutes SNESoid
Google Voice: Online all day, chatting 3o minutes
Twittdroid: online whole day
Screen to minimum

my phone lastet 13hrs today,as the battery-"widget" showed!

FAR away from a "STORM"

I WANT A MILESTONE!!!! I just want it to also have google nav :icon_eek:

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
hrhrhr nav is something i really dont use...ive got a car built-in on my VW golf Mark II

Same here. But I can see it being useful if you're driving with someone else in their car.

I used it one day on the google street view, it's f@@king crazy awesome. the voice activation is amazing too. Ugg they made this work so well!!!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hrhrhr nav is something i really dont use...ive got a car built-in on my VW golf Mark II

Same here. But I can see it being useful if you're driving with someone else in their car.

I used it one day on the google street view, it's f@@king crazy awesome. the voice activation is amazing too. Ugg they made this work so well!!!

The funny thing is that it's still in beta. Just wait until they fully release it. It should have a few bugs worked out, better "best route possible" routes, and just overall better. :)

Dukefrukem

Reaction score

The funny thing is that it's still in beta. Just wait until they fully release it. It should have a few bugs worked out, better "best route possible" routes, and just overall better. :)

I can't wait. It really was jaw dropping. I was in awe while I was driving. My experience so far with the Droid has been the biggest positive experience ever with any mobile device... and I've owned the iPhone, BB Curve and a ton of crappy flip phones.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
My experience so far with the Droid has been the biggest positive experience ever with any mobile device...

Ditto that. Hard to believe its only been out for a couple of weeks--one can only guess the experience and apps for it in the coming months.

- Mega

poqonos

Reaction score
I lowered the brightness down to the lowest, let's see how it fairs next 24 hrs. I really like the Droid except the battery issue.

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
I'm already seeing improved battery life with my droid. The battery is still fully green in the task bar. Wow.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Soooo...I am anticipating my Droid arrival sometime late today or tomorrow. It's coming from Ontario, Canada and it has been my experience that the accuracy of FedEx shipments originating in Canada leaves a good bit to be desired.

If I understand the steps being taken to extend battery life as shown in this thread, they are as follows:
(1) Reduce screen brightness to minimum settings or as close as one can tolerate to that.
(2) Use only Google Instant Messaging (IM).
(3) Turn off AOL IM (AIM).
(4) Turn off all notifiers
(5) Turn off applications not being used

So...I have a GMAIL acct that I don't use at all...guess I better dust it off. A couple questions here...hope someone can assist.

Is IM different than text messaging ?

Is there a users manual online that I can start reading before I get this phone ?

Thanks all :icon_ devil:

Last edited:

Mongoose

Reaction score
Oh...and I was wondering if one the Super Moderators (or anyone else) might direct me to..or start a list of "Battery Savers" or something like that...if it doesn't exist already. Basically a simple list of actions that can be taken by new users such as myself to prolong battery life...(seems to be a pretty big issue with many folks). Just a thought. Thanks folks :icon_ devil:

NeoLogic

Reaction score
My Droid's Battery life is really bad. I dont know if I have a defective battery or what. I will take the phone of the charger, do a couple emails, go to a couple websites, no voice, no streaming, no nothing, and it will go from a full charge to 80% in less than an hour.

I have the screen brightness set to the lowest setting, (which makes it hard to view in sunlight), and nothing running in the background other than normal apps that come preinstalled. I'm not doing any IMing, or media. I looked at what apps are using the battery, and it says screen (60%, and idle process 20%) What the heck is going on with my device?

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
Soooo...I am anticipating my Droid arrival sometime late today or tomorrow. It's coming from Ontario, Canada and it has been my experience that the accuracy of FedEx shipments originating in Canada leaves a good bit to be desired.

If I understand the steps being taken to extend battery life as shown in this thread, they are as follows:
(1) Reduce screen brightness to minimum settings or as close as one can tolerate to that.
(2) Use only Google Instant Messaging (IM).
(3) Turn off AOL IM (AIM).
(4) Turn off all notifiers
(5) Turn off applications not being used

So...I have a GMAIL acct that I don't use at all...guess I better dust it off. A couple questions here...hope someone can assist.

Is IM different than text messaging ?

Is there a users manual online that I can start reading before I get this phone ?

Thanks all :icon_ devil:

Im is very different from text messaging. IM is using your google account to contact your people through Google Chat. Its like AIM only on google. You can set status away messages and busy notifications.

dannydoes

Reaction score

When is that supposed to be? Seems like Gmail and Google Calendar betas lasted for years.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
I keep my phone at the lowest brightness setting (and use a quick toggle to 50% if i need to see it better in bright light).

I use for email all day (20-40 messages read, 10 replied)
text all day (20-30)
2-3 navigation sessions
5-10 phone calls (30-90 min total)
some web browsing, occasional video
newsrob RSS reading
and even some slacker streaming (30-90 min)
and the screen on a 10 minute time out (i manually sleep it, but hate it when it fades when I'm looking at it)

my stats show screen on over 50% of the time (51%) and phone on ~10% of the time since last unplugged, and I'm getting 9 hours before the 15% warning. very happy.

the key was to turn on facebook sync, set the bright to 10% (still bright enough for most times), and manually lock the phone whenever i stop using the screen.