Minimal droid use, battery drain experiment

dennugsmello

Reaction score
I just got the droid 5 days ago while I am still in a contact with at&t, so I am double covered with phone service. Since I have two working phones I wanted to do a battery experiment by using my droid at a minimum. During this experiment I had wifi off, gps off, bluetooth off, brightness at lowest setting, and syncing turned on. My usage consisted of a few calls, emails and texts per day with some occasional web browsing. I pulled my phone off the charger at 6pm Friday the 20th. When I woke up Saturday morning I was still at 100%. By the end of Saturday I was at 80%. Sunday morning I was still at 80% and by Sunday at 8pm is was at 70%. Today I woke up and I was still at 70%, and since then I have stopped only using it at a minimum. I think this battery life looks pretty good. Almost three day of tradional cell phone use and I have plenty to spare. Now back to high res youtube videos.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
One little trick i can add, but dunno if this works with DROID.

On my milestone i go to "Settings">"Wireless" and i can torn off al 3G connections and force it to only use 2G....like EDGE...this reduces battery usage as well ;)

ironosity

Reaction score
Nope, doesn't work. Can't turn off 3g on droid (verizon) since I think all voice calls are made over 3g since verizon's whole network is 3g.

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
Why would you ever want to turn off 3G? That seems like a complete waste of a phone.

For me the battery is awful. I pull the phone off the charger at 6:30am ever day. Have wireless turned off, bluetooth turned off, and screen brightness on 50% with it turning off at 30 seconds and the phone doesn't even last me until 2pm.

I do get about 20-30 e-mail a day.
I text about 50 times during that period.
I google-chat about 10-30 times during that period.
and I have Hi AIM running.

poqonos

Reaction score
I have the similar settings(gps, bluetooth, wifi, email notification turned off) and battery is down to 10% by 2 pm, it was fully charged @ 6 am this morning. Only received few calls and few IM. I am not sure whether something to do with the phone or the battery. It really sucks.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Why would you ever want to turn off 3G? That seems like a complete waste of a phone.

For me the battery is awful. I pull the phone off the charger at 6:30am ever day. Have wireless turned off, bluetooth turned off, and screen brightness on 50% with it turning off at 30 seconds and the phone doesn't even last me until 2pm.

WEll i dont have any time to surf the internet on teh phone at work. So why should i leave it to HSDPA where the sender consumes the most battery? When i got time i surely switch on 3G+ ^^

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
I have the similar settings(gps, bluetooth, wifi, email notification turned off) and battery is down to 10% by 2 pm, it was fully charged @ 6 am this morning. Only received few calls and few IM. I am not sure whether something to do with the phone or the battery. It really sucks.

If you're in an area where reception isn't too good, like in a factory or inside an office building where cell phone signals are shielded, your phone will constantly ping for service, also reducing battery life.

It just sucks that the amount of time I spend on my phone even when I have full service, still requires me to plug in and charge at least twice a day.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Check your battery usage to see what is using most of the battery life.

Dukefrukem - You should try turning the brightness down much more. I think that may be one of your biggest usages. Mine is almost at the lowest and I get much more battery life.

Dukefrukem

Reaction score

WEll i dont have any time to surf the internet on teh phone at work. So why should i leave it to HSDPA where the sender consumes the most battery? When i got time i surely switch on 3G+ ^^

Surfing the web isn't the only thing that uses 3G. If you're waiting for updates via google mail or google chat turning off 3G wouldn't be a good idea.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

thats great battery life with what you are doing.....

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
Check your battery usage to see what is using most of the battery life.

Dukefrukem - You should try turning the brightness down much more. I think that may be one of your biggest usages. Mine is almost at the lowest and I get much more battery life.

You're right, i checked my battery usage and it was 48% as of right now. I just dropped my brightness to under 25%, and it's stills surprisingly bright. Let's see how that fairs.

Dukefrukem

Reaction score

I don't agree. My iphone dominated the day with battery life, with the exception of AIM.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

If your using an IM app, that isn't google. There will be much battery drain. The reason being is the IM app is trying to stay in constant connection with the IM servers. If you don't have an IM app running that should reduce the ammount of battery drain. It has been like that on many phones that i've dealt with.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
I got it that way:

50 Mails a Day
round about 5 calls with 2 minutes
Surfing for at least 1hr a day in the train
doing 15 minutes of IRC
playing 15 Minutes SNESoid
Google Voice: Online all day, chatting 3o minutes
Twittdroid: online whole day
Screen to minimum

my phone lastet 13hrs today,as the battery-"widget" showed!

FAR away from a "STORM"

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

I don't agree. My iphone dominated the day with battery life, with the exception of AIM.

exactly cut off AIM and you will see a huge difference....

if you don't want to turn it off thats some good battery life with a IM running constantly